Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

2 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

So whats the difference between this and my 881S with original Stereohedron stylus please Greg.

As Greg said, W ... it's slightly better than his 980LZS ... which is a long way better than your 881!  :lol:

Andy

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

As Greg said, W ... it's slightly better than his 980LZS ... which is a long way better than your 881!  :lol:

Andy

That means nothing to me A.... I'd prefer to hear what Greg has to say.?

Guest Hensa

Difficult for me to answer, Wim, as I haven't heard the 881S but there are some that prefer the 881S to the CS100 (even if they might be a minority) so I wouldn't expect there to be night and day between them either way. I do prefer the CS100 to the low impedance 980LZS which was supposedly one of the top cartridges Stanton ever built. The CS100 seems more dynamic with deeper bass and detailed highs. Others might prefer the more rounded and polite presentation of the LSZ though, so it's just my opinion of two cartridges I own. Mr Rogers might be able to shed more light.

For some information on the specs of the cartridges, which does show reach to 50kHz for the CS100 versus 25kHz for the 881S (not sure how that might translate to actual listening though). Page 32 or thereabouts of the linked document which is an interesting read about their cartridge designs.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Stanton (Misc.).pdf

23 minutes ago, Hensa said:

Difficult for me to answer, Wim, as I haven't heard the 881S but there are some that prefer the 881S to the CS100 (even if they might be a minority) so I wouldn't expect there to be night and day between them either way. I do prefer the CS100 to the low impedance 980LZS which was supposedly one of the top cartridges Stanton ever built. The CS100 seems more dynamic with deeper bass and detailed highs. Others might prefer the more rounded and polite presentation of the LSZ though, so it's just my opinion of two cartridges I own. Mr Rogers might be able to shed more light.

For some information on the specs of the cartridges, which does show reach to 50kHz for the CS100 versus 25kHz for the 881S (not sure how that might translate to actual listening though). Page 32 or thereabouts of the linked document which is an interesting read about their cartridge designs.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/master/mbrs/recording_preservation/manuals/Stanton (Misc.).pdf

According to a mate of Mendo's, Greg - who is the Stanton guru - the WOS CS100 is the top Stanton.

What a FR out to 50kHz means (compared to only 25kHz) is that a 50kHz cart has a higher 'rise time' to one that only reaches 25kHz.  So the cart has a much faster response - so better reaction to transients.

Andy

Edited by andyr

31 minutes ago, andyr said:

According to a mate of Mendo's, Greg - who is the Stanton guru - the WOS CS100 is the top Stanton.

What a FR out to 50kHz means (compared to only 25kHz) is that a 50kHz cart has a higher 'rise time' to one that only reaches 25kHz.  So the cart has a much faster response - so better reaction to transients.

Andy

Thanks Greg. Andy, its good to hear you have heard both versions of the 980 and also the 881 with original stylus. I hear you have Richards book too. Maybe a bit more research could help?

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Sure?

Yeah, Shure.   I have a range of their old ones through to the latest,  M75, M91, M95, RXT4, RXT5, RXT6, M97 - and the oldest, the M75, is the best, although most are good.   When I find myself wanting the old Shure sound, it's the one I put on most.    One day I might buy a V15 to go with the set.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Yeah, Shure.   I have a range of their old ones through to the latest,  M75, M91, M95, RXT4, RXT5, RXT6, M97 - and the oldest, the M75, is the best, although most are good.   When I find myself wanting the old Shure sound, it's the one I put on most.    One day I might buy a V15 to go with the set.

You definitely need a V15. I think I have a '95. Must check. 

V15III with a Jico neo SAS/SS, nice bit of kit, I just happen to have one on my Luxman/Hadcock TT.

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.f9e4179b86d13c2ad72196e98fae45bf.JPG

Edited by Batty
  • Like 5

Kiseki now in situ.

Overcast today so photos are a bit washed out, unlike the sound which so far is very solid and positive!

rcEvMuE.jpg?1

6RI5laH.jpg?1

Edited by Citroen
  • Like 7

I have had the RCM Sensor Prelude plugged in for just over a week with the DP-60L / Hana SH combo and it has provided a very nice step up over the Black Cube SE2 sonically, it has taken my analogue system to another level which I'm very pleased about.

Still a couple of weeks away until I get the Delphi turntable up here which will be mated with the Sensor while the Back Cube will go back to providing services for the Denon. Sorry for the crappy picture.

image.jpeg

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hensa
21 minutes ago, zipstartcanoe said:

New phono in my system. Easily exceeding every expectation I hadimageproxy.php?img=&key=a1aee8f6a7a51714

20180602_133255.jpg

CH Precision - very nice!

2 hours ago, zipstartcanoe said:

New phono in my system. Easily exceeding every expectation I hadimageproxy.php?img=&key=a1aee8f6a7a51714

20180602_133255.jpg

and so it should  - its bloody expensive.    but, if you can afford it, its supposed to be superb.   Is that with the X1 power supply?

Lucky devil - very envious.

6 minutes ago, zipstartcanoe said:

Yes, X1 power supply attached. Haven't tried the P1 without the X1 yet. Will do so once it all has a couple more weeks on it.

why bother?.  the X1 will sound better.  - unless you have the X1 on loan and can return it. 

What carts are you using with it?    current or voltage inputs?

9 minutes ago, metal beat said:

why bother?.  the X1 will sound better.  - unless you have the X1 on loan and can return it. 

What carts are you using with it?    current or voltage inputs?

I would only bother to satisfy curiosity.

Am running Acoustical Systems Palladian and Astron, and a Koetsu Coralstone and Brinkman Ti - current inputs only so  far.

• Like 3