Show us your Phono Stages and Phono Cartridges

2 minutes ago, rossb said:

Van den Hul Colibri. And this is definitely the last cartridge I buy for a long time. In coming weeks the battle of the Etna SL vs the Colibri ...

PA090252.JPG

PA090243.JPG

Cool

Which Colibri?

No matter which cartridge wins, it will need to go against Atlas SL. :) 

Hoping mine arrives before Xmas.

14 minutes ago, rossb said:

It's the XGP.

I will look forward to hearing how the Atlas SL compares with your Etna SL, Shane.

Me too.

XGP - best for classical music - whatever that means from vdh :)

Edited by metal beat

Van den Hul Colibri. And this is definitely the last cartridge I buy for a long time. In coming weeks the battle of the Etna SL vs the Colibri ...
PA090252.thumb.JPG.7d8c5988a550ca35f9f6f0fd9bbcb3f8.JPG
PA090243.thumb.JPG.f57415bbe2c3ca696902f12d8b205edc.JPG
Ross, your " long time" means a month or less? ; )

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Dennis, I wish I had a counter-argument for that ...

Always eye candy though. However long you keep trying new ones, I like observing your purchases.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dwbasement said:

Better than the rp6 and others but p9 still my favorite.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Better than rp6 is already interesting. Perhaps you should go the Linn route :P

1 minute ago, Happy said:

Better than rp6 is already interesting. Perhaps you should go the Linn route :P

Be very, very careful, H!  :P  Roy Gandy's goons will be after you if you suggest Ivor's TT can be better than a Rega!  :)

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

Be very, very careful, H!  :P  Roy Gandy's goons will be after you if you suggest Ivor's TT can be better than a Rega!  :)

Andy

I actually rate sprig suspension belt system over the Rega style any day. Not that I’d go the belt anytime soon. The wimpy torque isn’t my thing.

Just now, Happy said:

I actually rate spring suspension belt system over the Rega style any day. Not that I’d go the belt anytime soon. The wimpy torque isn’t my thing.

Aah, but H ... when you have:

• 2 motors,
  • each driven over-voltage, to give more torque

... like you can with Steve Tuckett's 'Number9' speed controller ... "wimpy torque" is a thing of the past!! :party

Andy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, but H ... when you have:

• 2 motors,
  • each driven over-voltage, to give more torque

... like you can with Steve Tuckett's 'Number9' speed controller ... "wimpy torque" is a thing of the past!! :party

Andy

thats what the bd fanatics like to think :P

Picked up a Hana SL on Saturday. After experimenting with a few cartridges, I finally feel like I've found that sweet spot.

Running through a Technics SL-1210 MK2 and EAR 834P + EAR MC-3 - sounds amazing.

FullSizeRender.jpg.e6d7a67602b2007d897f3a239e1c5eaf.jpg

Great choice! I too have an SL and regard it very highly. Currently mine is on a break from the Denon DP60 while the Van den Hul DDT II gets some more time but will be back in play over the next couple of months.

I have a collection of 8 MM carts and a dedicated new direct drive TT just for these carts. These I have accumulated over many years (40) of early LP playing. The TT has a removable head shell and all carts are mounted in  their head own head shell and all with new styli. This allows easy cart rolling. Favs are Stanton 881s and Garrott K2 but a ortofon VMS 20 MKII is also very enjoyable.

But I have had a hankering to buy a new ortofon concord but I rarely play the other 8 so I refuse to buy yet another cart (though I was given a few) to sit on the shelf with the others. But it didn't stop me wanting it badly over the last few years. I think monthly I would think about it and look them up on the sellers sites.

A about 5 years ago I was given a very dirty Phillips TT. I brought it home, put it under the BBQ with a rag over it and that's where it stayed for years. Earlier this year I cleaned up and moved the BBQ and put the TT on a table in the garage without removing the rag. A few days ago I was putting some empty bottles in the bin and for some strange reason flipped the rag of the TT. AND there is was; an ortofon concord with a "5" stylus and a bent-up cantilever. I nearly fell over.  

I would have put a new stylus in the cart anyhow ( I did the same with all the other old carts) but now of course have to. For $70 I have ordered a 5E replacement stylus from decibel hifi. The sales person said that would be the only replacement stylus which would fit that particular concord. I think the "5" models are still available and are real cheap.

Strange how I have not been able to get this cart out of my mind for such a long time and I've had one here all the time. I'm expecting the stylus any day and will report back with some images I what I hear. If anyone knows the book "The Secret" they would find it easy tp explain this whole strange occurrence.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ortofon+concorde&qpvt=ortofon+concorde&FORM=IGRE

• Like 2

To Top