Wiring for Home Theater Amp / Projector / Screen

30 minutes ago, betty boop said:

both are going from hdmi on amp to hdmi on projector

Yes.. we are talking about trigger cable from screen to projector right? there is nothing running like that.. Unless you are saying two trigger wires.. 1 from projector to amp and 2nd from screen to amp??

unnecessary  in my opinion for 10m, but its your money. there is NO point 2nd guessing 8k

Fair enough

B&H will get to you in 5 days.. not sure what the uk option if install happening in a week...

Just pre build wiring is happening before plaster goes in.. so not fit off etc.. which is why i need HDMI and speaker cables.. Need to give it by next Friday 

Edited by LostIdentity

Just now, LostIdentity said:

Yes.. we are talking about trigger cable from screen to projector right? there is nothing running like that.. Unless you are saying two trigger wires.. 1 from projector to amp and 2nd from screen to amp??

perhaps confused things wiht my last post. indeed you run trigger screen to projector. but i imagine your screen is near the amp. for me it was a very short run amp to screen. sparky installing the power outlet for motorised screen also helped me wiht that run while he was running the power. he and i pulled both cables through same time.

all a trigger cable is a 3.5mm mono plug and two wire cable to another 3.5mm mono plug. run ot amp and then you run this ALONG with your hdmi cable. both hdmi cable and trigger cable can go  from amp location to the  projector. any installer will run them together. pull them both together

if cant source a trigger cable. ask your installer to. if they cant suggest get another installer ! as any installer refusing would have to be a numpty to not only be able to source or run. as i said i made my own with two mono 3.5 plugs. this is kind of thing they do day in day out. hook wire for the trigger is about 5c a meter and mono plug is $1.25 ea !!! so looking at $3 for the 10m trigger cable :D 

11 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

Just pre build wiring is happening before plaster goes in.. so not fit off etc.. which is why i need HDMI and speaker cables.. Need to give it by next Friday 

if pre plaster ... its even easier a run ! i owl just buy the 2 wire hookup cable from jay car and they can terminate wiht 3.5mm jacks at either end later on. 

12 minutes ago, betty boop said:

indeed you run trigger screen to projector. but i imagine your screen is near the amp.

Yes so between screen and amp nothing is running.. Between screen and projector nothing is running

There will be a coundit between projector and amp.. So we will need to run another conduit with trigger wire between projector and screen? 

53 minutes ago, betty boop said:

unnecessary  in my opinion for 10m, but its your money. there is NO point 2nd guessing 8k,

Hmm.. I just bought RuiPro on popular opinion.. I can still cancel and go something cheaper from EzyHD?? Or leave it as is?

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

this is kind of thing they do day in day out.

its a simple sparky doing my install as I am telling him what to pull where and giving him all the wires.. So not sure how handy he is with the mono plugs and trigger wire.. he is simply laying them as per my say.. 

15 minutes ago, betty boop said:

if pre plaster ... its even easier a run ! i owl just buy the 2 wire hookup cable from jay car and they can terminate wiht 3.5mm jacks at either end later on. 

I guess you mean the following stuff. Distance between screen and projector will be perhaps 4m.. Can see wire at 5-6m for future

https://www.jaycar.com.au/orange-flexible-light-duty-hook-up-wire-sold-per-metre/p/WH3013

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-mono-plug-to-6-5mmmono-socket-adaptor/p/PA3506 x 2??

Not sure if I can connect it for him and give it.. will have to google how to.. 

Let me see what I can do about this.. every small thing cost goes up!!! (not the wire but the sparky / coundit etc)

1 hour ago, LostIdentity said:

Yes so between screen and amp nothing is running.. Between screen and projector nothing is running

There will be a coundit between projector and amp.. So we will need to run another conduit with trigger wire between projector and screen? 

generally what will do is run conduit between amp and projector. you wouldnt run a conduit from amp to screen. you would just run the 2 wire cable. unlikely in a 3 blue moons that is ever getting replaced. no need.

Hmm.. I just bought RuiPro on popular opinion.. I can still cancel and go something cheaper from EzyHD?? Or leave it as is?

its upto you. but too late to be sourcing anything else i would suggest and the comsol you'd want t test and make sure good.

its a simple sparky doing my install as I am telling him what to pull where and giving him all the wires.. So not sure how handy he is with the mono plugs and trigger wire.. he is simply laying them as per my say.. 

if a simple sparky cant run a simple 2 wire cable and deal with mono plugs at each end ...they should hand in their electrical license :D wiring up a mono plug is kind of thing i did with the dicksmith kits when was a teenager ! 

I guess you mean the following stuff. Distance between screen and projector will be perhaps 4m.. Can see wire at 5-6m for future

yes the simple jay car 2 wire cable. he will run it either end and if give him the mono 3.5mm plugs will terminate as well. but upto you. 

Not sure if I can connect it for him and give it.. will have to google how to.. 

its a simple 2 wire...nothing more to it :) 

Let me see what I can do about this.. every small thing cost goes up!!! (not the wire but the sparky / coundit etc)

as i indicated to you it is a simple thing and about $5 in parts from jay car :D even less if only 5-6m we are looking at about about $3 worth ! as to sparky running a 2 wire pre plaster is probably lucky if 10min work !  

@betty boop

Got the following from Jaycar

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-miniature-plug-black/p/PP0114 x 2 pc

https://www.jaycar.com.au/bell-wire-sold-per-metre/p/WB1700 x 6m <-- The guy there said he himself uses these on his projector?? Correct one I am guessing

I think overall pre build wiring is sorted

1) 14 AWG Speaker Wires

2) RuiPro 10m cable for projector

3) Trigger wire 6m (as above) for screen to projector

4) Just need to source a 2m HDMI for TV to Amp

5) 1 x CAT6 run from each point - projector , screen and TV to my switch?? or to amp?? 

Anything else I am missing? 

For hardware I am currently  now tilting towards

1) Paradigm speakers

2) Epson Projector

3) Grandview or EliteScreen motorised screen

4) Peerless PRG-UNV Mount

5) Denon (maybe) Amp (was first thinking Yamaha)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LostIdentity said:

@betty boop

Got the following from Jaycar

https://www.jaycar.com.au/3-5mm-miniature-plug-black/p/PP0114 x 2 pc

https://www.jaycar.com.au/bell-wire-sold-per-metre/p/WB1700 x 6m <-- The guy there said he himself uses these on his projector?? Correct one I am guessing

I think overall pre build wiring is sorted

1) 14 AWG Speaker Wires

2) RuiPro 10m cable for projector

3) Trigger wire 6m (as above) for screen to projector

4) Just need to source a 2m HDMI for TV to Amp

5) 1 x CAT6 run from each point - projector , screen and TV to my switch?? or to amp?? 

Anything else I am missing? 

For hardware I am currently  now tilting towards

1) Paradigm speakers

2) Epson Projector

3) Grandview or EliteScreen motorised screen

4) Peerless PRG-UNV Mount

5) Denon (maybe) Amp (was first thinking Yamaha)

yes thats all folks use for trigger leads...

please skip the cat6 runs to screen and to projector really not needed, additional costs wasted. id stick to just tv and AVR if need there. though most even there manage that wireless these days. if want to save cost dont bother.

should have got the 2m hdmi cable from jay car... if not can also get one from office works. you dont need anything super dooper here :)

I have recently built a HT.  Few tips I may offer. My Hdmi Installed by builder could not run epson 9400. I bought ruipro later.

Ducts of heating and cooling to be a little away from ceiling speakers to avoid issues with sound from speakers. 

How to locate cables left in ceiling and walls. I took lots of photos while in construction and showed to  HT installer. I should have done this better. All the best. I went with yamaha avr .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Passin said:

I have recently built a HT.

Hope it was great

My Hdmi Installed by builder could not run epson 9400.

Yep giving him Ruipro

Ducts of heating and cooling to be a little away from ceiling speakers

No ducting so no issue there.. thanks.. all split systems

21 minutes ago, Passin said:

I took lots of photos while in construction

yep will try to do that

21 minutes ago, Passin said:

I went with yamaha avr .

nice.. i am torn between Denon and Yamaha due to internet ppl.. lol

price... that what it usually comes down to. also available from where op wants to shop. the main thing is having the features you want, process more channels than you currently need incase you expand and enough pre outs should you want to experiment/add an external amp.

Edited by hopefullguy

If the ceiling plaster is not in yet, ask the builder (or do it yourself if they allow you) to put timber between joists where you want to mount your projector. I have the peerless mount for my JVC and I was lucky that I could put 2 of the 4 screws into a joist, the other 2 are using heavy duty plaster plugs. It's good enough, but not ideal.

Definitely run the trigger wire as some drop down screens use RF remotes rather than IR. Mine did in my previous home. A Harmony remote will not control RF devices.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2020 at 5:40 PM, LostIdentity said:

Yep I am in fact thinking of getting the 8k version of it..  no ?

Its up to you but the 8k Ruipro HDMI Fibre Optic Hybrid cable is around 50% of sales these days and suitable for those that want to future proof and HDMI 2.1 is not that far away, if not the 4k version all Ruipro Brand cables in all lengths are guaranteed to current HDMI specifications, thin and easy to instal and do not require a power supply.
Apparently these 10m HDMI cables are thick @ 24awg so keep in mind the bend radius. Before purchase read 10m+ 4k owners reviews on HDMI Fibre Optic and HDMI copper cables to see if they work in all 4k situations.

Edited by EZYHD