Seeking Naim Unti Star feedback

Hi there

just wondering if any members have the Uniti Star and what their experience/satisfaction is with it?

My current system is Luxman 505 amp with Martin Logan Theos speakers, B&O 4002 turntable and a NAS system with digital content linked with Sonos.

I'm hoping to clean the system up a bit and also get a better rip from the CD's hence the question. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:42 PM, Irek said:

I think the amp in Uniti Star is not as good as your Luxman. 

Maybe Naim Audio Uniti Core + Luxman. 

My current speakers do require a fair bit of power which the Luxman has, I will be changing into Focal Aria speakers in the future and as the Nain desn't have the same power output it wouldn't be an issue with the new speakers-it's a long term plan

Hi,

I'm a bit of an amature with all this. But I have  a Yamaha RX-V481 reciever that says 260w on the back. Its driving 4 x Yamaha in ceiling NSIC800WH 140-Watts Speakers and 1 x Kef T301c centre speaker. 

Is my reciever powerful enough to run this setup?

Do I need a power amplifier?

Cheers

Hi Martin

I had a Luxman 507U pushing Spendor D9’s and was extremely happy.  But I also had many other boxes ( dac, streamer etc etc ).  So I decided to audition a Naim Unity Star.  

Side by side comparison.  The Naim has a very refined British sound which matched so well with the British Spendors.   After a week of comparing I decided to sell the Luxman and go Naim 

The ability to have everything in one box was some of the decision process, but it would not have happened unless the quality of sound was also amazing, which it is. 

To be able to rip, stream, play cd’s and have a great listening experience in a quality sounding unit was the reason I changed 

My thoughts are for you to see if you can audition one at home and do some comparisons.

Cheers 

Bill 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Martin Cowtan said:

My current speakers do require a fair bit of power which the Luxman has, I will be changing into Focal Aria speakers in the future and as the Nain desn't have the same power output it wouldn't be an issue with the new speakers-it's a long term plan

Which Arias do you have in mind? I think Arias were made for amps like Naim (Focal and Naim are one company now). It doesn't mean that Naim is the best choice for Aria but it has a rely good control over those speakers. There are few other options for Arias on the market as well. 

General rule is to get speakers first and then amp unless you already auditioned Arias with Naim. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, Irek said:

Which Arias do you have in mind? I think Arias were made for amps like Naim (Focal and Naim are one company now). It doesn't mean that Naim is the best choice for Aria but it has a rely good control over those speakers. There are few other options for Arias on the market as well. 

General rule is to get speakers first and then amp unless you already auditioned Arias with Naim. 

I've audtioned the Aria 948 which ive put down a deposit on. I like the Naim but wanted to check with other users that it just wasn't a marriage of convenience for marketing purposes. im sure my current amp will be fine with the Arias im looking at possibly replacing the Luxman for the Uniti Star in about 12 months when funds permit. 

On 12/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, Bill125812 said:

Hi Martin

I had a Luxman 507U pushing Spendor D9’s and was extremely happy.  But I also had many other boxes ( dac, streamer etc etc ).  So I decided to audition a Naim Unity Star.  

Side by side comparison.  The Naim has a very refined British sound which matched so well with the British Spendors.   After a week of comparing I decided to sell the Luxman and go Naim 

The ability to have everything in one box was some of the decision process, but it would not have happened unless the quality of sound was also amazing, which it is. 

To be able to rip, stream, play cd’s and have a great listening experience in a quality sounding unit was the reason I changed 

My thoughts are for you to see if you can audition one at home and do some comparisons.

Cheers 

Bill 

Thanks Bill some great insights- really appreciate it.I agree the simplified functionality is a strong motivation but the quality has to be there as well. it would be good to exit the Sonos a get a quality ripper instead of using the computer which can't be as good. All my digital files are stored in lossless format.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Cowtan said:

I've audtioned the Aria 948 which ive put down a deposit on. I like the Naim but wanted to check with other users that it just wasn't a marriage of convenience for marketing purposes. im sure my current amp will be fine with the Arias im looking at possibly replacing the Luxman for the Uniti Star in about 12 months when funds permit. 

So soon you will join our Focal owners club. Arias 936 are standing in my room so I know why you like them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all.

I'm new here, but I am was a very old and experienced Naim user for decades before I changed route completely, and have followed the constant evolution of the brand and owned much, spent much and heard much.

In my opinion, which of course is what it is, the Star is not the star of the new Uniti line. It has the advantage of single-boxiness but the whole line has slightly deviated from the 'classic' Naim sound and its voicing is now more extended, airy but a little 'generic', like that of many other excellent brands. The Nova is, in my opinion, better sounding but has no ripping facility. The Atom is even a little better sounding but besides no ripping facility is lower powered. In turn, it seems that the new ripping and streaming platforms are a audible upgrade over the previous 'classic' line's. The Core has an excellent ripping reputation, and the Nova would complement it very well.

A personal addition is, avoid the SuperUniti even if found at an irresistible price; it isn't worth its cost. If you don't need tons of watts, and BTW Naim has a driving ability much superior to its power tag, a Core and an Atom with sensitive speakers would do a delicious system with a very modern sound and the reliability that has made Naim's name.

Best with your choice,

Max

• Like 2

For what it’s worth, a guy from work is running some Aria 926 from an Atom and it’s a awesome match. They are driven very well from what is rated at 40W amp.  So I think that Uniti Star at 70W for 948 won’t be a problem at all and the Nova is even bigger at 80W. On the Focal site they recommend a Nova for 846 and Star for 936.  

The core is a pretty cool piece of kit too.

Naim watts aren’t watts like other manufacturers . The NAP300 is a massive amp (and $16k) is a 90W amp.