Purifi DIY kit finally available

kukynas

That's both terrible and awesome. Just FYI the cost of the EVAL1 kit works out to just over $1000AUD. I'd be tempted but given they're mono modules it seems a crying shame to make a stereo amplifier with their stereo front end module out of them and not make monoblocks.

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

That's both terrible and awesome. Just FYI the cost of the EVAL1 kit works out to just over $1000AUD. I'd be tempted but given they're mono modules it seems a crying shame to make a stereo amplifier with their stereo front end module out of them and not make monoblocks.

Con, 

I raised the issue of non supportive pricing with Alan as you are aware in a recent thread. 

Its beggars belief how punters were spending big on the Molas, upwards of 20k I believe some two years ago and yet you can pay 4-5k for the latest iteration NC 1200. And by dumping the price of the purifi, which is supposed to be the latest and greatest to these levels who in their right mind would look at buying any of the hypex modules whether DIY or in a completed unit unless it was less than the purifi. I won't. 

I feel really sorry for the OEM's. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Con, 

I raised the issue of non supportive pricing with Alan as you are aware in a recent thread. 

Its beggars belief how punters were spending big on the Molas, upwards of 20k I believe some two years ago and yet you can pay 4-5k for the latest iteration NC 1200. And by dumping the price of the purifi, which is supposed to be the latest and greatest to these levels who in their right mind would look at buying any of the hypex modules whether DIY or in a completed unit unless it was less than the purifi. I won't. 

Trouble is, the competition sits waiting.  If they don't get the price down, they'll lose sales.  I don't buy into the hype that they are the only game in town.  Anyway, the Asian copy-engineering is not far behind.

I am sure we have all been burnt  with price reductions. An example was video cassette recorders. It's the pain of being an early adopter.    It's part of our consumer society.  I still hate it, but...

Just now, aussievintage said:

Trouble is, the competition sits waiting.  If they don't get the price down, they'll lose sales.  I don't buy into the hype that they are the only game in town.  Anyway, the Asian copy-engineering is not far behind.

I am sure we have all been burnt  with price reductions. An example was video cassette recorders. It's the pain of being an early adopter.    It's part of our consumer society.  I still hate it, but...

It does but this will burn the OEMs who already working off margins.

I spoke to one today who is absolutely flabbergasted they would do this and will never deal with them again.

This could only mean that sales are down and are doing anything to prop things up - at the expense of the OEMs.

I would not touch any Class D whether NC1200 or other hypex range given this unless it was priced accordingly against a price of 1000 AUD for this eval board.

4 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

I spoke to one today who is absolutely flabbergasted they would do this and will never deal with them again.

Quite rightly, but that's our system of doing business.  If the supplier decides that a certain move in the marketplace benefits their owners/shareholders, then that's what they do, in fact it's what they MUST do, unless bound by contract to do otherwise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Con, shirley there are absoloootely no actual measurements that support monoblocs sounding better than stereo amps.  Hence, one builds stereo amps ... and Purifi is just enabling this.  :lol:

34 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

I would not touch any Class D whether NC1200 or other hypex range given this unless it was priced accordingly against a price of 1000 AUD for this eval board.

I also would not touch a Class D, Ozzie ... but for different reasons!  :lol:  But a number of people here, I'm sure, would disagree with me.  :)

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ghost4man said:

in case of this eval board I don't, this is directed to hard core DIYers who would never buy finished product anyway and it's priced accordingly (compared to hypex NC400 diy kit), if you sum it up it'll be somewhere between 1100-1200 EUR before shipping with some adequate chassis and connectors which is equal to Hypex NC400 2x mono diy kit minus one SMPS1200 PSU

Bruno stated already at the beginning that they will support DIY market and prices will be competitive so no wonder 

I also feel sorry for the OEM's in general, margins are shrinking and competition growing, on the other hand I believe it's no different to any other consumer electronics market 

2 hours ago, kukynas said:

in case of this eval board I don't, this is directed to hard core DIYers who would never buy finished product anyway and it's priced accordingly (compared to hypex NC400 diy kit), if you sum it up it'll be somewhere between 1100-1200 EUR before shipping with some adequate chassis and connectors which is equal to Hypex NC400 2x mono diy kit minus one SMPS1200 PSU

Bruno stated already at the beginning that they will support DIY market and prices will be competitive so no wonder 

I also feel sorry for the OEM's in general, margins are shrinking and competition growing, on the other hand I believe it's no different to any other consumer electronics market 

How did you come to that price point?

I have already spoken to an OEM today who said they wont touch it. Plain and simple. 

Guest rmpfyf
15 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

I have already spoken to an OEM today who said they wont touch it. Plain and simple. 

I (genuinely) don't follow - are you suggesting an OEM won't touch it given eval kit costs too little?

1 minute ago, rmpfyf said:

I (genuinely) don't follow - are you suggesting an OEM won't touch it given eval kit costs too little?

Thats something you would have to discuss with an OEM.

I have .

The price point makes it very difficult for them to compete when this is being offered to the DIYers at this price.

Ultimately at the end of the day market forces rule.

50 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

Eval board + cables = 6000DKK = 780 EUR

SMPS1200A400 = 220 EUR

Quality IEC connector with fuse + 10A main switch (Schurter or similar) = 20-30 EUR

Quality chassis = +70 EUR 

+ shipping for each item

all prices including VAT

Guest rmpfyf
1 hour ago, ghost4man said:

Thats something you would have to discuss with an OEM.

I have .

The price point makes it very difficult for them to compete when this is being offered to the DIYers at this price.

Ultimately at the end of the day market forces rule.

Sounds a shortsighted argument - not least for the size of the DIY market relative to the rest of it... the majority of the market won't touch DIY at any price. 

Hardly any of the market is likely to use that front end board. 

Power supplies to taste and a whole s**tload of thermal and other engineering for anyone wanting to do it right. 

'This' that is offered to DIYers is a ways off what's reasonably expected of a production system (honestly looks more like an engineering eval kit that could be repurposed for DIY). Sure, its a lot of performance for the price though Class D wasn't going to go any other way and any OEM having a whinge here's read that much completely wrong. 

Seems plenty of scope to engineer and sell a compelling product.

Is their wholesale pricing more than their retail or did I miss something?

in terms of OEM's being afraid of the diy market (if that's the case), if NC400 diy kit didn't killed the OEM market by now I don't see a reason why this one should, typical enthusiast diyer won't spend 1000 EUR on amp modules, plenty of other options for less with still decent quality ready made NCMP range, or pascal or ice power amps  

14 hours ago, rmpfyf said:

Sounds a shortsighted argument - not least for the size of the DIY market relative to the rest of it... the majority of the market won't touch DIY at any price. 

Hardly any of the market is likely to use that front end board. 

Power supplies to taste and a whole s**tload of thermal and other engineering for anyone wanting to do it right. 

'This' that is offered to DIYers is a ways off what's reasonably expected of a production system (honestly looks more like an engineering eval kit that could be repurposed for DIY). Sure, its a lot of performance for the price though Class D wasn't going to go any other way and any OEM having a whinge here's read that much completely wrong. 

Seems plenty of scope to engineer and sell a compelling product.

Is their wholesale pricing more than their retail or did I miss something?

Short-sighted? 

Maybe. 

I can only suggest you speak to an OEM and get their opinion. I have. 

As a DIYer it's great. I'm aware of just how small the margins are. 

When I first saw this I intuited that sales must be slow. When I spoke to the OEM they said the same thing. They have effectively speaking forced OEM's to purchase significant quantities to try and msme it worth their while. At these prices it's just too risky to commit to that level. 

6 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

When I first saw this I intuited that sales must be slow. When I spoke to the OEM they said the same thing.

So they had all previously set their prices higher than the market would bear.

6 minutes ago, ghost4man said:

They have effectively speaking forced OEM's to purchase significant quantities to try and msme it worth their while. At these prices it's just too risky to commit to that level. 

I don't follow.  You seem to be saying OEMs can only make a profit on high priced big ticket items.    Many companies have the business model of selling something at a good attractive price, and selling more of them, and making a profit that way.

Edited by aussievintage

16 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

So they had all previously set their prices higher than the market would bear.

I don't follow.  You seem to be saying OEMs can only make a profit on high priced big ticket items.    Many companies have the business model of selling something at a good attractive price, and selling more of them, and making a profit that way.

I agree. The pricing was there for both OEM's and diyers. 

Think about the pricing. It costs you 1011 AUD to purchase the eval board as a diyer. Factor in the extras, casing, binding posts, PSU, buffer etc and ask yourself how much do you think it you need to sell to make a buck from these new modules. 

On the basis of the current pricing there is no way I would support them as OEM. It's basic dollars and cents. It is as Anthony Holton said who knows a thing or two about about building amps and providing DIY kits a slap in the face to any OEM. 

29 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I am still missing something, sell them for x times less, and sell x times as many - same profit.

Overheads of r&d, funding, marketing, testing, production, stock... It doesn't cost anywhere near the cost of a final product in parts alone. When I was toying with becoming a speaker manufacturer I was shocked when I worked out how expensive my speakers would have to be to make it worth selling them.

• Like 1