Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sean Perth

Static or something else

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a project 2xperience TT with ortofon 2m black, using the RCA and ground leads supplied

I have only owned it for about 6 weeks, no real issues until just after xmas

noticed on some of my new xmas albums there seems to be a fair amount of static

so did the usual things, still had issues, these seem to get worse yesterday, i had a new power board

for xmas, just a surge one from bunnings prob around the $50 i think, so changed my cyrus one amp, turntable and my emotiva gen 3 power amp on to this board- played some vinyls and when i touched the TT arm to raise the tonearm, got a visible shock, the next time i changed a vinyl

i touched my amp, the shock disabled the right channel, had to turn it off and on to get the channel back.

Any ideas- i have changed put the TT into a different power board but still getting some static when lifting the tone arm with the arm

 

Thoughts please

Edited by Sean Perth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on where in Perth you are I would be happy to come and help troubleshoot. Be very careful

if you are getting shocks - something sounds amiss there 

AJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi im North near joondalup

you??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sean
If you are receiving any sort of electrical shock (tingle) touching your gear then something is definitely wrong and could be very dangerous.
I recommend you have an electrician check and confirm that your power points are properly earthed and that the active and neutral is correctly orientated.

If that all checks out, then the sound gear also needs to be checked for the same things.

 

Story.

A few years back I found I would get a tingle if I touched the metal housing of my espresso machine and the kitchen sink at the same time. Many years before this I did have the old electrical switch board with fuses replaced with a modern circuit breaker type and ELCB so I assumed all was correct.

 

However, upon investigation it was found that a few power points that did have earth wires connected to them did not actually connect back the switch board earth. Once this was fixed the tingle was eliminated.
So do not assume all is correct with your house wiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Never assume is right.😈 (that's "Shocko" for those who are not old.

I got zapped once with the active and neutral swapped and of course the single pole switch did not isolate the active from the chassis

And that was in a commercial building done by "qualified" sparkees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be any one of a number of issues.

  • The new powerboard.  This is potentially dangerous if it's faulty.
  • Static electricity discharge. Most likely as it caused one channel to trip the protection.  I had this experience decades ago when a new synthetic carpet was installed.  Every time I would touch any of the rotary knobs on my amplifier I would get a zap and there'd be a nice loud click through the speakers.  It turned out that the aluminium knobs had a plastic insert that provided the grip on the splined shafts of the pots and switches.  Pulled them all off and jammed a small piece of aluminium foil inside each one so that the metal parts of the knobs were now electrically grounded to the earthed chassis.  Problem solved.  :)
  • There is a house wiring fault.  This is potentially dangerous.

For what it's worth, I'd be getting the power outlet, power board and your gear electrical safety checked by a qualified person.

 

Cheers,

Alan R.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

thanks for replies, I had a sparky here fitting new air con the other day

he tested the outlets and the power board, all ok, the shock has stopped since I moved it in to another power board 

he thinks that for some reason it wasn’t sitting in the power board as snugly as it should of

so he suggested putting a cable tie around all plugs to secure into board so there’s no movement. 
I asked him about running a earthing wire from an outlet to my TT 

but he didn’t want to give advice about that as he’s unfamiliar with audio equipment he said in theory it would work 

Any  thoughts ? 

Edited by Sean Perth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the plugs don't fit snugly in the power board sockets, ditch the power board. A loose contact will cause heat due to contact resistance. This will cause burning at the contact points and further exacerbate the problem. The "sparky" should be aware of that.

 

Recommendations for fitting an earthing wire to the TT is mentioned in the manual:

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/2/e/3/a/3d539e87e6cc991c78aa631afa82b78e37bb.pdf

 

But it is a signal ground, not a safety ground. It is very unlikely you are getting a shock from the external power supply. As previously stated by @Monkeyboi, it's probably static.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Try touching a metalic screen door or something similar prior to touching anything on your rig. The problem is that you are the source of static and you're earthing and discharging on your equipment. You need to discharge yourself first. Wetting your hands under a tap may work too.

Edited by t_mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...