Sign in to follow this  
GerrySem

Vintage Sansui

Hi all, I just came across  a Sansui FR-5080 D/D Turntable. It's manufactured around 1975 & is a (2/4 Channel) weighs 12.5 Kg.

It's in very good condition & I was just after your thoughts. It's listed for $275.

Thanks

G

Not one of their hi-end tables but for that price providing it works properly and as you've said its in very good condition I would estimate its a reasonable buy, does it have a cartridge a decent cart to suit will probably cost the same if not more than the amount you're spending on the TT.

Do you have an amp with an inbuilt phono stage if not you're up for one of those too? 

Guest Muon N'
Posted (edited)

As above, if in nice condition and 100% working It's a good buy at that price, respectable specs.

4 channel has to do with the cartridge used and only if it is feeding a quad amplifier and playing a quadraphonic recording, quadraphonic was the rage for a short time back at that time.

Edited by Muon N'

I've a Marantz PM 64 Mk 11 coming my way in a week or so.

If I was to use the same cartridge as someone in their Technics 1200 or a similar High End TT, Would I get the same quality sound?

Or would you suggest a Rega Planer 3 with a MC Dynavector Karat 17D $699.00 or

Pioneer PL-1200A D/D, with a Pioneer PC-330 MM & a new Nagoka stylus $670.00.

Guest Muon N'
Posted (edited)

No idea, but an Ortofon 2M Blue would sound OK on the Sansui, really depends on the rest of the system and what you like in sound after the cart and table are matched.

The Marantz PM64 Mk ll is a fine amp, I had one years back, has both MM and MC phono functions.

Edited by Muon N'

26 minutes ago, GerrySem said:

Or would you suggest a Rega Planer 3 with a MC Dynavector Karat 17D $699.00 or

Pioneer PL-1200A D/D, with a Pioneer PC-330 MM & a new Nagoka stylus $670.00.

The Rega Planar 3 is a decent enough table from all accounts; it should also have a few upgrades available if that’s your thing. The real winner is that cartridge though...if that 17D is in half decent condition, it’s the pick of the bunch in terms of cartridge quality. 

The Pioneer is a DD Turntable and apparently it was a decent one at that. As long as it’s in good, working condition and has no speed issues or any other anomalies then this would be my choice. 

Thank you all for your time & advice, I do really appreciate it.

If there are other used TT that you all come across or see under $800. 00 please send the info my way.

Thanks guys 

6 hours ago, Muon N' said:

4 channel has to do with the cartridge used and only if it is feeding a quad amplifier and playing a quadraphonic recording

Sorry to O.P. for jumping in once again...

I have always wondered how quadraphonic records worked, but it's something I've never thought of looking up.  Thanks for mentioning that.

5 hours ago, Muon N' said:

the cart and table are matched.

I can't delete the last quote.  Will post appropriately elsewhere.

Thanks mate.