Sign in to follow this  
wikeeboy

Phono & Cart advice - Technics SL1210 GR

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

It was and you weren't.....it is in this thread:

.....where @nkoulban stated:

"I added a JICO hyper elliptical stylus to my AT95... in a word...wow!  I no longer listen to my moving coil its that good.  I have also put it in a wood body."

Thanks mate glad to know i'm not going crazy... yet!

On 04/01/2020 at 7:09 PM, wikeeboy said:

Hi there,

I'm thinking a budget of around $500 each for a phono and cart. Happy to look around for used as well to get better value for money.

Cartridge - I'm thinking keeping it simple and going for an Ortofon 2M although not sure which colour (possibly red or bronze, blue?)

The 2M bronze is the same body as the black so the stylus are interchangeable.

The AT540ML also has great reviews.

I use a Stanton 881s with original stylus and it's the best cartridge I have had including a few $2000+ MC's

The AT ML diamond has the same profile as the Jico SAS according to Sound Smith. They are very fineline and do reduce surface noise considerably. I have a Jico SAS/B on my Technics EPC205c it's a very good stylus but not as dynamic as the Stanton 881s the 35dB separation and 0dB channel balance is very audible, even if the Stanton has slightly more surface noise, it is more enjoyable.

On 05/01/2020 at 5:08 PM, wikeeboy said:

Ok so if it's Ortofon it will be a bronze no less :)

Rookie question, whats the difference between buying a cartridge that needs mounting or the PNP version? The PNP version would be much easier to just click in to the technics tonearm..

I used a Blue PNP on my 1210m5g  with a sub weight of course , soon after I stripped if from the shell and placed the cartridge on my original technics headshell , sound improvement to my ears ... I wasn’t to fussy getting everything thing perfect with alignment.. 

You also need to raise the tonearm to "2" to compensate for the Ortofon cartridge height.

The 2M Bronze is the way to go.

I have found the ATX Audio Technica cartridges to be very bright. I had a ATX150 mounted in a Grace 707 tonearm on a Linn Sondek LP12.