My father in law’s first pressings, Miles, Chet..

Spent boxing day with my father in law & family. He is an old folk singer from the 60’s, beatnik AF, still rocking a goatee, smoking rollies and drinking goon box, Jack Kerouac as they come.

Massive jazz head, has every Miles,Chet, Bird, Coltrane etc etc from the day, first pressings all the way. Man .... F**k he stacks that s**t on top of each other after a play out of their sleeves, vinyl on vinyl, on the table, floor where ever the hell. I was in fits of anal retentive hell seeing all of this precious vinyl treated like crap, he doesnt give a toss...... but he LOVES every second of it, he’s there, he’s seen half of them live, he has stories about them in person. Im starting to think my preoccupation with cleanliness, respect for the medium, using my green Linn tape to ‘masturbate’ my Linn stylus to keep everything so clean to resolve the music has made me a boring f**k and i might be better off getting pissed & smoking and having a wow of a time ??? well i do do all of that but maybe i should just relax and stop the paranoia about a few pops and clicks ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Take care of your records - handle them carefully, clean the dust off them before every play and return them to their protective sleeve after playing.  Clean the playing stylus occasionally (if you keep your records clean it shouldn't need it often).  This much doesn't take much effort.  After practice, some people can even do it while being "impaired".

Other than that, relax, and enjoy the music, the records will be in good shape.  And enjoy the music. 

Those first pressings could sound fantastic if they were in good shape. 

Your father-in-law sounds like one cool cat.  Just like this Hip Cat:

7064764512a80ab686229c6214c9bf89-w204@1x

Edited by audiofeline
  • Haha 1

Even kool kat hip music lovers have bad vinyl habits! I know this might come as a surprise...but having grown up in the 1950s  and 1960s, learning from my Dad how to handle LPs, made me realise that very few people know how to hold a record properly. Or how to keep one clean. Or how to deal with dust--either on the record or the stylus. Most old LPs that you find have a load of gunk on track 1 because of thumb and index grabbing on tight there...don't start me on stacking them naked!! Why put up with multiple sonic problems that you have caused yourself?

There are bad drivers as well, as I'm certain all of you have noticed. Many of them love driving. One thing doesn't exclude the other.

I forgive the kool kat all his vices because he loves music.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hammer193 said:

Spent boxing day with my father in law & family. He is an old folk singer from the 60’s, beatnik AF, still rocking a goatee, smoking rollies and drinking goon box, Jack Kerouac as they come.

Massive jazz head, has every Miles,Chet, Bird, Coltrane etc etc from the day, first pressings all the way. Man .... F**k he stacks that s**t on top of each other after a play out of their sleeves, vinyl on vinyl, on the table, floor where ever the hell. I was in fits of anal retentive hell seeing all of this precious vinyl treated like crap, he doesnt give a toss...... but he LOVES every second of it, he’s there, he’s seen half of them live, he has stories about them in person. Im starting to think my preoccupation with cleanliness, respect for the medium, using my green Linn tape to ‘masturbate’ my Linn stylus to keep everything so clean to resolve the music has made me a boring f**k and i might be better off getting pissed & smoking and having a wow of a time ??? well i do do all of that but maybe i should just relax and stop the paranoia about a few pops and clicks ??

Keep stacking the plastic and loving the music i’d say to him. I’m sure he looks with a little suspicion and pity at our fetishisation of the process and gear involved in sound reproduction. Let’s face it, nobody ever got spiritually transported because of clean grooves or an expansive soundstage - nice though they may be. Great music can do that to you on a transistor radio. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Take care of your records - handle them carefully, clean the dust off them before every play and return them to their protective sleeve after playing.  Clean the playing stylus occasionally (if you keep your records clean it shouldn't need it often).  This much doesn't take much effort.  After practice, some people can even do it while being "impaired".

Other than that, relax, and enjoy the music, the records will be in good shape.  And enjoy the music. 

Those first pressings could sound fantastic if they were in good shape. 

Your father-in-law sounds like one cool cat.  Just like this Hip Cat:

7064764512a80ab686229c6214c9bf89-w204@1x

Hep Cat....

3 hours ago, Wimbo said:

@hammer193 His name isnt Maynard is it? As in Maynard G Krebs.

Damn, I remember these years although I was very young. Thats Maynard on the right. He became very famous later in another sitcom?

Dobie_gillis_1960.JPG.9f0a2c58bc77e124dff5f23b638da523.JPG

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis!! His reaction to the word "work" was priceless.

And then he became Gilligan.

Edited by JukKluk2