Far Cry 2 older but better.

Guest Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

Finished Far Cry 3 last week, and with an older PC hardware couldn't go for a later in the series so grabbed Far Cry 2, and It's been a bit of fun for sure, but what amazes me is games have been going backwards in some ways, like if you compare Far Cry 2 to Far Cry 5 as shown in this vid the game physics in 2 are so much better!

Are we sacrificing some very cool things in games with the newer productions? Is this sort of thing happening with other franchises? I haven't been able to compare a lot of games especially newer ones naturally, but it appears at lest we are getting less in this series comparing these two.

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

Was that the one with the friends on holiday and the psycho guy?

That was Far Cry and Far Cry 3, in Far Cry 2 you are on your own in Africa where there are factions fighting it out.

That's an interesting comparison video.  I only watched about 10 minutes, but it was quite clear.  I agree, it seems many aspects of gameplay have been sacrificed.  IMHO, that's been happening since the 80's!

Guest Muon N'

For a while they were pushing realism in areas like the physics in games, then it seems they stopped and focused on just prettier graphics. Catering to the masses maybe? Marketing takes over?

We don't need this, just make it pretty and we can sell more copies/subscriptions, focus on the addictive aspects, then we can have them locked in for life...can we incorporate a 'like' system into this game?  :sarc:

Edited by Muon N'
typo

Guest Muon N'

Seems the first three where the best.

I enjoyed the first and third, probably the first one more so as well, the second in some ways I enjoy more.

Yeah defiantly have reduced the realism as the series has gone on.

I haven't played the first two Far Cry's but I have the others.

I actually preferred FC3 and Far Cry Primal than FC4 / FC5 and FC New Dawn, it seems to me that as the series has progressed or regressed, depends on your point of view, that infiltrating enemy encampments has become more 'cookie cutter' like, as in you'll basically get one of 4 or 5 types of AI responses pattens to you attacking them, where with the older games the AI's responses seemed more varied.

I remember it could take me several attempts to take over a enemies encampments in FC3, but with the latest FC's I could pretty much do them all at first attempt, and that's even when they have the stronger enemies protecting the area later in the game.

Thanks for posting the video. It seems to be quite a stark contrast! As a new gamer I never would have realised. Is this the start of the gaming "loudness wars"?

Guest Muon N'
3 hours ago, John Doe said:

Thanks for posting the video. It seems to be quite a stark contrast! As a new gamer I never would have realised. Is this the start of the gaming "loudness wars"?

Given such perceived things could be marketing driven, it might be a fair point, but I haven't played enough game series's to see if this is happening across the board, but could be.

Guest Muon N'
12 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

I think you could say that the same sort of thing happened with the Uncharted series.

Haven't heard of those games, will look up the game play for them out of curiosity :)

Guest Muon N'

One thing I like about games like Far Cry is the open world aspects, for the same reason I liked Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl. Not a big fan of being led down a narrow defined path in game.

4 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Haven't heard of those games, will look up the game play for them out of curiosity :)

I'm pretty sure the Uncharted series was a Playstation exclusive made by Naughty Dog.

It's not as open world as Far Cry, more linear a story line.

Can't wait for 'The Last of Us 2' which is out in March [looks like May now from the trailer ?], and is also made by them and a PS exclusive, again a more linear a game, but amazingly emotionally involving, the first game is one of the best, if not the best games I have ever played...Horizon Zero Dawn is another amazing PS exclusive game that I suspect will have a sequel.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Muon N' said:

One thing I like about games like Far Cry is the open world aspects, for the same reason I liked Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl. Not a big fan of being led down a narrow defined path in game.

The original far cry was pretty much "leading down a path", although it was a very wide path.

The original may not have been technically the best of the series, but it was the most captivating to play - it had me absolutely hooked all the way to the end.

Guest Muon N'

Damn it, too used to bad physics in games, I'm still not making use of being able to shoot them through corrugated iron and such half the time, I's only when they start shooting me through it I return in like fashion :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Hope they serve non alcoholic beverages.

hmm....not the most trustworthy lot in here me thinks!

ss_ian_02-08-20_11-15-08_(l05_bar).jpg.241743dab300f09bd6631723a2f48fd3.jpg

Some realism in this game also (inaccurate weapons), a tad buggy but not too bad. The atmosphere is great with the night day and weather cycles.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played and finished every Far Cry game as they came out. But I think that Far Cry 2 is a flawed masterpiece. The world they created was beautiful. The only problem is its a dead world. They development team needed another year to fill the world out with content and some interesting locations and missions, which they didn't do.

but man, that african sunrise... there is something about FC2 that is special. I'm surprised they have not gone back to it.

Edited by agisthos
  • Like 1