All Donations for JAN 2020 to go to Red Cross Bushfire Disaster Relief

8 minutes ago, Marc said:

Does anyone have any input on how we should disburse the donations?

Some towards Wildlife Vic. and other Wildlife organisations interstate of course.

Know it would be going directly to a good cause, as they need funds for buying feed etc.

Cheers Marc. ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wolster said:

Red Cross have responded to the initial criticism of holding funds back for future disasters.

Up to 10% of donations go to admin but they do have a big and increasing team and infrastructure.

This is what I hate too, when the "shiny bums" take the cream - it is not right when it is the publics money ?

12 hours ago, Marc said:

Does anyone have any input on how we should disburse the donations?

Pick the four hardest hit areas and donating it directly to the RFS chapters in those locations would work. Or if you can work out what honest NFP is actually helping families recover, then to them directly.

To be a true charity , they need to donate at least 80 cents in every dollar they get given to their designated cause. The big guys just swallow it all up as admin fees and pay rises for themselves.

You will do more good giving to the smaller fish. 

Another option is pick four families that got hit hard and send it directly to them, screw the tax dedications we can get from using an registered gift recipient as defined under ATO donation guidelines. 

• Like 3

On 04/02/2020 at 7:31 AM, evil c said:

Some towards Wildlife Vic. and other Wildlife organisations interstate of course.

Know it would be going directly to a good cause, as they need funds for buying feed etc.

Cheers Marc. ?

Agreed - Animals.

- Contributed by ‘selling’ DVD-A for donation.

Edited by furtherpale

For what it's worth, a couple of media releases regarding donation points that promise to distribute $100% of funds to those in greatest need.

https://www.shoalhaven.nsw.gov.au/My-Council/News/ID/3407/Mayors-Fundraising-Appeal-for-Currowan-Fire

https://www.bendigobank.com.au/media-centre/community-relief-fund-launched-to-support-fire-affected-communities/

• Like 1

Wildlife for me as well. 

Not sure what the avenues are, but Kangaroo Island Koala's would be high on my list.  Regardless of what ends up being the distribution, very proud of our Community and what we've done. Every little bit helps.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2020 at 11:50 AM, Marc said:

OK I will start disbursing this on Monday based on feedback received, and giving a few more days for all who contributed to add their comments here.

Hi Marc, have the funds been distributed? I'm curious as to the recipients and percentage given to each. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Soundscape said:

Hi Marc, have the funds been distributed? I'm curious as to the recipients and percentage given to each. 

I've been mostly off air for the last week so just picking this up now.

This is my plan unless anyone has any objections:

• 75% direct to Fire Services
    • NSW $1,875
    • VIC $1,875
    • SA $1,875
  • 25% direct to Wildlife Funds
    • Gimme Shelter (Nature Conservation Council) $937.50
    • WWF Australian Wildlife and Nature Recovery Fund $937.50
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 04/02/2020 at 7:09 PM, sjay said:

Another option is pick four families that got hit hard and send it directly to them, screw the tax dedications we can get from using an registered gift recipient as defined under ATO donation guidelines. 

This appealed to me the most too - giving directly to the people - because as has been reported lately the big organisations are just squirrelling the money away and not giving it out (Red Cross and Salvos copped bad press for this last week) - I would rather see it get directly in to the people's hands that really need it. 

https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/bushfire-aid-red-cross-admits-to-11-million-administration-cost-to-help-fire-victims-c-661226

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

• Administrator

I think we could easily go around in circles with this, and I would rather get the money where needed ASAP.

What I have suggested already does not include the Red Cross or similar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

I think we could easily go around in circles with this, and I would rather get the money where needed ASAP.

What I have suggested already does not include the Red Cross or similar.

I agree, it is tough deciding ?

Glad it is not going to the most obvious ones people choose to give to ?

Nice that so much has been raised here too ?

• Like 1

Seems fair to me. The only suggestion I would make is that the RFS/CFS Stations in the hardest hit areas receive the money directly, rather than being absorbed into the whole organisations which the govt should be funding anyway. It will take a little research to find out which stations would benefit most, but they would be located in Kangaroo Island, East Gippsland and Shoalhaven. I'm happy to look into it more carefully. 

• Like 1

On 04/02/2020 at 7:22 PM, April Snow said:

This is what I hate too, when the "shiny bums" take the cream - it is not right when it is the publics money ?

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. These organisations still need quality management and they need to pay them accordingly.

• Like 1

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Soundscape said:

Seems fair to me. The only suggestion I would make is that the RFS/CFS Stations in the hardest hit areas receive the money directly, rather than being absorbed into the whole organisations which the govt should be funding anyway. It will take a little research to find out which stations would benefit most, but they would be located in Kangaroo Island, East Gippsland and Shoalhaven. I'm happy to look into it more carefully. 

If this is actually possible, I'm happy to do that.

Are all happy for this to take longer in order to get the money directly to where it will help?

I sorta feel like we're hanging on to the money too long already.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

If this is actually possible, I'm happy to do that.

Are all happy for this to take longer in order to get the money directly to where it will help?

I sorta feel like we're hanging on to the money too long already.

It definitely is possible. Let me look into it and get back to u tmrw

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Soundscape said:

rather than being absorbed into the whole organisations which the govt should be funding anyway.

If the government was putting sufficient funds towards these needs, these NFP organisations wouldn't exist. My sister in law has a reasonably high position for a NFP helping out in East Gippsland and has told of the trouble in getting volunteers organised and focussed towards a targeted response rather than what they personally think is best. Many volunteers, although greatly appreciated, couldn't hold a permanent job due to various issues, so there is more "bloat" in administration than most businesses. Sometimes the volunteers make resolutions harder and more expensive to achieve than simply paying staff.

Things are never as easy as they appear from the outside looking in.

@Marc well done on this initiative. My sister who was evacuated twice and lived with the prospect of danger for many weeks is now in Melbourne about to take a well needed short cruise in Oz. Thank god all this rain in the last 2 weeks has ended the fire season a bit earlier than we all feared.

• Like 1

I have put some feelers out via FB messenger to the RFS brigade in Cobargo, and the CFA brigade in Mallacoota. Hopefully will hear back from both of them soon. I tried calling the CFA brigade at Parndana KI and will keep trying. 

A direct deposit can be made to CFA Vic where it is possible to specify the receiving brigade in the reference field. See screenshot below 

Screenshot_20200222_105007_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.9555d9ad5e01a9cd81edcce644fab3a0.jpg

• Like 2