Denon DP-60L Cartridge Recommendations

Like most people on Stereo, I realise there are many people with much more experience them myself and I would like to try and tap that knowledge. I am aiming to save up enough money to upgrade the cartridge on  my DP-60L (Straight Arm Tube - 5.5g) this year. Unfortunately I lack the know how to make a choice I won't regret.

I have looked at other forums for advice but it didn't seem to offer much information as to what I should get and why. I've also noticed quite a few people have owned these decks or something similar.

I have the Parks Audio Puffin phono which offers MM (47kohms) and MC (100ohms) compatibility and up to 72dB of gain so most cartridges should be fine.

I current have a Linn Adikt on the straight tone arm at the moment which is quite good (better then my digital set-up) but I can't decide on what to aim for.

I really like two cartridges that I've read about so far:

Nagaoka MP-500 (should be fine)

Jico Seto-Hori (better suited to medium compliance tonearms and a little heavy but should be fine)

EDIT - Suggested cartridges and/or confirmed to work well on DP-60L:

Denon DL-103R

Denon DL-301 MKI (potentially MKII)

Denon DL-110

Dynavector DV-20X2L
Hana SL

Linn Adikt

From the little I know, the Nagaoka should suit the Denon fine but I'm not so sure about the Jico because it is 11g (1g above the rated cartridge weight) and I can't seem to find the compliance of it. I really have a thing for Japanese made stuff but I am happy to buy what ever cartridge seems to offer the best value. I am ultimately looking to spend no more then about $1200 all up. Also happy to buy decent NOS or Used carts.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Edited by Mungbean66
Update to potential carts
  • Like 1

I had this turntable for a while and tried a lot of different cartridges on it. Simply put the DL301 cartridge +AU300LC SUT was a stellar combination on the straight low mass tonearm. Had no desire to change or upgrade from that while I had this turntable. It had excellent synergy it wouldn't surprise me If this tonearm was designed with this cartridge in mind. Only reason I no longer run the DL301 is that the tonearm of my current turntable is a bit heavy for the high compliance DL301.

• Like 1

I had a Dynavector DV20X2 for a little while which I upgraded to the 17D3. They both sounded fantastic on that deck. It is a really good turntable which warrants an excellent cart. 

If your budget doesn’t go that high I have also heard that TT with a Stanton cart and it also sounded great. 

7 hours ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

Simply put the DL301 cartridge +AU300LC SUT was a stellar combination on the straight low mass tonearm.

Thanks for the info Louis, I think I would try to use just the phono intially. It seems that getting one of these carts on the used market should be neither too hard, nor should it cost anywhere near my budget. I will add it to the list above.

This was the DL301 MKII?

I am going to edit this thread with any suggestions so if someone needs the information later they can find it easily.

56 minutes ago, PKay said:

I had a Dynavector DV20X2 for a little while which I upgraded to the 17D3. They both sounded fantastic on that deck. It is a really good turntable which warrants an excellent cart. 

If your budget doesn’t go that high I have also heard that TT with a Stanton cart and it also sounded great. 

I think the DV20X2 could be considered if I bought my wife flowers and asked for forgiveness when it arrived ;) . 

Great to know I can put such good carts on it and expect to hear what they can do...quite encouraging and maybe a little dangerous. From what I've read this TT isn't embarrased when compared against new turntables costing 3 times what I paid for it.

Cheers PKay

Edited by Mungbean66

24 minutes ago, Mungbean66 said:

Thanks for the info Louis, I think I would try to use just the phono intially. It seems that getting one of these carts on the used market should be neither too hard, nor should it cost anywhere near my budget. I will add it to the list above.

This was the DL301 MKII?

I am going to edit this thread with any suggestions so if someone needs the information later they can find it easily.

I think the DV20X2 could be considered if I bought my wife flowers and asked for forgiveness when it arrived ;) . 

Great to know I can put such good carts on it and expect to hear what they can do...quite encouraging and maybe a little dangerous. From what I've read this TT isn't embarrased when compared against new turntables costing 3 times what I paid for it.

Cheers PKay

check in with @BATMAQNas he bought my old DP60L. I'm not sure what cart he was running on the TT.

1 hour ago, Mungbean66 said:

This was the DL301 MKII?

Cheers PKay

It was a mk1 but from what I've seen and read the mkii had the exact same stylus just in a heavier cartridge body so it can be used on a wider variety of tone arms. The mk1 had a very light plastic body. I've heard both and I probably couldn't pick them apart.

2 minutes ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

It was a mk1 but from what I've seen and read the mkii had the exact same stylus just in a heavier cartridge body so it can be used on a wider variety of tone arms. The mk1 had a very light plastic body. I've heard both and I probably couldn't pick them apart.

Thanks for the update mate. I’ve read that the MKII was better but I can’t imagine it being that much better if the coils and stylus remained the same. 

37 minutes ago, Mungbean66 said:

Thanks for the update mate. I’ve read that the MKII was better but I can’t imagine it being that much better if the coils and stylus remained the same. 

I'm now on to my second 301 MK II. Easily got 1000 hours + out of the first one.  Very nice cartridge at a affordable price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neurone said:

I used to have a DP 50L and used a 103R cartridge and a Hana SL with excellent results.

Looks like I am building a small list I can choose from. I’m assuming your using the straight arm?
Thanks Neurone. 

18 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

Looks like I am building a small list I can choose from. I’m assuming your using the straight arm?
Thanks Neurone. 

Yes, it had the straight arm similar to the one in the picture below ?

Denon.jpg.750cbd265c6a9cea566ded12230b4521.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 03/01/2020 at 10:59 AM, Rocketfrogs said:

I'm now on to my second 301 MK II. Easily got 1000 hours + out of the first one.  Very nice cartridge at a affordable price.

I am trying to pick one up for my DP57L but can only find it overseas. Is there anyone local selling them? 

On 03/01/2020 at 8:17 AM, Mungbean66 said:

you made my day. While my model is a step down I am looking for a new cart now I have realised the DL103 it came with is better suited to a heavier tonearm. 

1 hour ago, wonderbean said:

you made my day. While my model is a step down I am looking for a new cart now I have realised the DL103 it came with is better suited to a heavier tonearm. 

Great to hear it's helped someone already.

Still trying to figure out what will work best for me.