Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
hiphile

Greetings from an older millennial LoFi enthusiast

Recommended Posts

G'day all,

 

I've been listening to LoFi (budget HiFi) for some time. Bought my NAD/Wharfedale system in 2005.

 

Recently I purchased a Project TT to replace a vintage NAD 5020 TT. This reinvigorated my Lo-Fi passion and I subsequently picked up a pair of KEF Q350 (as I feel the old Diamond 9.1 is holding the system back a bit.

 

My current system is:

 

  • KEF Q350
  • NAD C320BEE
  • NAD C521BEE with a dying laser
  • Project Debut Recordmaster
  • QED interconnects
  • Van den Hul The Clearwater
  • Sennheiser HD6XX (sounds brilliant plugged straight to the NAD)

 

 

Off topic, I've always wondered why there aren't that many people in my age group (late 30s) who are into 'proper stereo'. Most happily listen to soundbars, all-in-ones or God forbid, Bluetooth speakers. I have met many older enthusiasts of course, or younger (20s) who are super passionate. In any case, this is simply a general observation within my family, social and work circles and I'm sure in a place such as SNA, Hi-Fi knows no age barrier.

 

Looking forward to learn more and a good chat at SNA.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, hiphile said:

G'day all,

 

I've been listening to LoFi (budget HiFi) for some time. Bought my NAD/Wharfedale system in 2005.

 

Recently I purchased a Project TT to replace a vintage NAD 5020 TT. This reinvigorated my Lo-Fi passion and I subsequently picked up a pair of KEF Q350 (as I feel the old Diamond 9.1 is holding the system back a bit.

 

My current system is:

 

  • KEF Q350
  • NAD C320BEE
  • NAD C521BEE with a dying laser
  • Project Debut Recordmaster
  • QED interconnects
  • Van den Hul The Clearwater
  • Sennheiser HD6XX (sounds brilliant plugged straight to the NAD)

 

 

Off topic, I've always wondered why there aren't that many people in my age group (late 30s) who are into 'proper stereo'. Most happily listen to soundbars, all-in-ones or God forbid, Bluetooth speakers. I have met many older enthusiasts of course, or younger (20s) who are super passionate. In any case, this is simply a general observation within my family, social and work circles and I'm sure in a place such as SNA, Hi-Fi knows no age barrier.

 

Looking forward to learn more and a good chat at SNA.

 

Cheers

 

 

I remain in my late 30s until late this year (though I claim to be a younger Gen Xer)...

 

My purely anecdotal thoughts are that the very late ‘90s and into the ‘00s... Home Theatre went ballistic and captured many of the right age in that period.

 

I was selling stereo and HT during that time, and stereo just vanished in the consumer mind (again - anecdotal).

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could never understand why people tend to generalise other human beings based on any category - a birth year being one of the most idiotic ones. Boomers are this, Xers are that, all millennials are self-absorbed...where are those ideas even coming from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Decky said:

I could never understand why people tend to generalise other human beings based on any category - a birth year being one of the most idiotic ones. Boomers are this, Xers are that, all millennials are self-absorbed...where are those ideas even coming from? 

It’s inbuilt into humans as social animals reliant on ‘us’ to collectively protect against ‘them’ - it’s evolution, baby...

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribalism


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Other_(philosophy)

 

As far as generations - each prior generation defines the next (eg young lazy people), which that generation takes on board and then you have two groups othering each other.

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Decky said:

I could never understand why people tend to generalise other human beings based on any category - a birth year being one of the most idiotic ones. Boomers are this, Xers are that, all millennials are self-absorbed...where are those ideas even coming from? 

I agree, but its been happening for decades. I am in my 60s now, but the same sort of generalisations were happening when I was in my 20s. I try to avoid doing the same thing as I get older.

 

Whoever comes up with these generation names must be struggling to find new ones. Personally, I don't know what the difference is supposed to be between between a gen-X or a millennial or whatever, and I don't really care. Each generation consists of a range of people with different personalities, and everyone changes as they get older. Its just the way of things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to get back on topic though, welcome aboard hiphile. As long as your system gives you musical enjoyment, then that is the main thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You're in the right place! 

 

Lot's of knowledge and between here and Gumtree plenty of 2nd hand HiFi comes up at LoFi prices. Especially Gumtree. Plus plenty of Australian made HiFi products with great value that you won't find in most stores. Eg Lenehan, Gieseler and a number of Aussie amps. 

 

I'm 42 and generationally confused and technically the end of X but married to and identify mostly with millennial with some X tendencies. I hate myself for that sentence!

 

My thoughts are most in this age group grew up with the start of mass AVR, highly compressed music on mp3 players and highly processed recordings. None of this lends itself to Hifi appreciation due to overall quality. I instead grew up in a family on the early 80s staples at home of Acoustic Research speakers and NAD plus an uncle with higher end gear running real to real tapes, then  moved out of home with hand me downs, then pursued a career in acoustics 

 

All I can say is that even my moderate to severely deaf millennial wife with good hearing aids can hear the difference with HiFi. And millenials and others get blown away by my low budget HiFi. 

Edited by DrSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

OK Boomer, steady on.. 😉

 

Just kidding.. didn't mean to offend anyone! Back on topic, thanks for the warm welcome and I particularly appreciate the overwhelming advice to scour 2nd hand gear here at SNA.

 

@emesbee, absolutely.. so much so that since I got the Project/KEF, Netflix screen time had gone way down! On the flipside, wine consumption had gone up.. 🤔

@DrSK, lucky you.. sounds like a good upbringing 😀 I grew up with "1200W P.M.P.O" all-in-ones 3 CDs rotating tray monstrosities.

 

This weekend I've started my long overdue project to rip all my CDs (only 100 or so that's worth ripping) into FLAC and store it in a NAS.

 

I fancy sometime in the near future to get the Audiolab 6000N or other similar streamer. Is it worth getting to stream the FLAC files and presumably, to get higher quality output from Spotify, etc.?

 

 

Edited by hiphile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hey @hiphile, welcome!

 

I ripped all my CD's (over 300) to FLAC into a NAS a few years back. It was a bit of a pain, but in the end, I just do in now whenever I buy a new CD. It's trickier with records! You have to actually sit and listen and play rec and pause to turn them around. Like, real-time like!

 

A Raspberry Pi 3 running Moode streams all music from the NAS into a USB DAC and then to an amp. It's a sweet setup, very comfortable, and works with Spotify as well. Spotify has the odd glitch here and there, but mostly it works. The music from the NAS is always available and ready to go.

 

You must have still rewinded tapes using the old BIC pen method to avoid wasting the batteries on the walkman 😁

 

Cheers,

 

Alberto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, betocool said:

You must have still rewinded tapes using the old BIC pen method to avoid wasting the batteries on the walkman 😁

Ah the memories..............

Glad those days days are gone :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 05/01/2020 at 12:53 AM, betocool said:

Hey @hiphile, welcome!

 

I ripped all my CD's (over 300) to FLAC into a NAS a few years back. It was a bit of a pain, but in the end, I just do in now whenever I buy a new CD. It's trickier with records! You have to actually sit and listen and play rec and pause to turn them around. Like, real-time like!

 

A Raspberry Pi 3 running Moode streams all music from the NAS into a USB DAC and then to an amp. It's a sweet setup, very comfortable, and works with Spotify as well. Spotify has the odd glitch here and there, but mostly it works. The music from the NAS is always available and ready to go.

 

You must have still rewinded tapes using the old BIC pen method to avoid wasting the batteries on the walkman 😁

 

Cheers,

 

Alberto

 

Thanks Alberto - sounds like you got a pretty cool setup there. I haven't ventured into the world of Raspberry Pi yet but I've heard it's wonderful. Not sure if I have the time (or patient 😁).

 

I'm not in a rush so might wait until dedicated streamers like the 6000N is available in the 2nd hand market and snap one up. Can't justify myself buying new at full MSRP for ~100 CDs and I'm already heavily invested in Sonos for Spotify.

Edited by hiphile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2020 at 10:54 PM, hiphile said:

O

 

On 04/01/2020 at 10:54 PM, hiphile said:

@DrSK, lucky you.. sounds like a good upbringing 😀 I grew up with "1200W P.M.P.O" all-in-ones 3 CDs rotating tray monstrosities.

 

 

Used to lust after that CD tray in my teens! Rotated much like an RX7 rotary engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...