Sign in to follow this  
Maze

How "trustfull" is this forum?

Hi everyone  ,

Lets begin with a happy new year , may this be a musical 2020 for all.

I was send a link from a friend showinga member of this forum selling a beautifull Nagra PLP preamp.

Im a active menner of some forums in Europe and know that most audio Forum membres are pretty trustfull.

What is your experience here?

Sorry for my english if there are faults in the grammar.

Cheers Maze

Overall very trustful, but, scammers will always exist where there is an opportunity, i was scammed on this site but was lucky enough to get my money back, a fellow SNA'er was not so lucky with the same scammer

Trust anyone that posts vinyl sounds best....don't trust anyone that posts digital sounds best...

:D 

No disrespect meant to the OP but if I were selling something, I would be very wary of selling it to a brand new member particularly one from overseas and possibly even more particularly one that potentially lulls you into a sense of security by asking if you are trustworthy (paranoid me?)

@sir sanders zingmore, agree totally, my daughter said i was paranoid, my comment, costs nothing!

3 hours ago, darthlaker said:

Trust anyone that posts vinyl sounds best....don't trust anyone that posts digital sounds best...

Lol , i can live with that. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

No disrespect meant to the OP but if I were selling something, I would be very wary of selling it to a brand new member particularly one from overseas and possibly even more particularly one that potentially lulls you into a sense of security by asking if you are trustworthy (paranoid me?)

Hi 

Why would a sneller worry? He is getting his money upfront , im the one that has to worry if the item is as described and or it wil ever be shipped to me to onother continent . Lol.

I would sell to annyone annywhere as long as they pay me upfront. ;).

But i do get your point though.

Edited by Maze

I think the tapatalk is gone.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, darthlaker said:

Is this vinyl setup to your Standard? Lol

You  should know the table... its from Your country.  ;)

20170606_235524.jpg

Edited by Maze

8 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

PayPal 

5 hours ago, Maze said:

Is this vinyl setup to your Standard? Lol

You  should know the table... its from Your country.  ;)

20170606_235524.jpg

Best turntable I've heard but with a Schroeder arm.

2 hours ago, furtherpale said:

PayPal 

Never, ever, accept PayPal for a sale to somebody you don't know and/or trust.

I want to be 100% clear that this comment not directed at the OP.

However there are many buyer scammers who use PayPal because they know that PP will almost certainly side with the buyer when they fraudulently make a claim against the seller

All the scammers need to do, is to say that the goods were not as promised, or were not "in the box" when delivered, or a host of other excuses. It is often difficult ( or even impossible ) to prove that you sent an amplifier in a box (for example ).

Personally, I won't accept PP as a payment method from anybody unless I know and trust them and this is one reason why I never sell on Ebay, although there are other reasons also.

On the flip side, I find it difficult to trust a seller who refuses to accept PayPal, for obvious reasons

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, rantan said:

Never, ever, accept PayPal for a sale to somebody you don't know and/or trust.

I want to be 100% clear that this comment not directed at the OP.

However there are many buyer scammers who use PayPal because they know that PP will almost certainly side with the buyer when they fraudulently make a claim against the seller

All the scammers need to do, is to say that the goods were not as promised, or were not "in the box" when delivered, or a host of other excuses. It is often difficult ( or even impossible ) to prove that you sent an amplifier in a box (for example ).

Personally, I won't accept PP as a payment method from anybody unless I know and trust them and this is one reason why I never sell on Ebay, although there are other reasons also.

Scamming works both ways.   

International customer sends bank transfer to seller and seller keeps money and sends nothing.   Nothing the customer can do do get his money back in this case. 

I know I am trust worthy, however many international customers do not want to use international money transfer for goods - they prefer paypal with the securities given to the buyer. If you refuse, they think you are a scammer.

If you assume everyone is a scammer, you must use some sort of escrow service

Edited by metal beat

He has beer on the table so he MUST be one of us!!

13 minutes ago, Dave O))) said:

On the flip side, I find it difficult to trust a seller who refuses to accept PayPal, for obvious reasons

I trust there is no implication here:)

As @metal beat has said, trust and scamming can go both ways and I do acknowledge this, but it can be a case of nobody trusting anybody they don't know so one just has to trust their instinct.

the forum is a means to an end.. like a news paper.. the paper itself is neither trustworthy or dishonest, its the stuff in it written by people that are either.

i was scammed on here last year.

No implication Ranty, well not yet anyway 😛

I was just reflecting on an experience I had a few months ago. A member was selling a large quantity of records, and the sale was clearly for profit and not from the persons collection, which was indictated when the seller declared that they had not listened to the records. On this basis I decided it would be unwise to proceed without buyer protection. The member flatly refused to accept PayPal from me, a member of more than a decade with a fairly substantial post count and with good feedback as a buyer. So the seller cancelled the transaction and immediately deleted the PM thread 😐

Anyway, the classifieds guidelines clearly state that buyers should use PayPal for their own protection. However this is not enforced and is only a recommendation and at the discretion of the parties involved. Caveat emptor

I've bought and sold on this forum and never had a bad experience...

...I even had a member send me gear when I said I didn't have the the cash at the time and they said to pay them when convenient...that's an extreme case, as I'd never met the other member, but both of us had been long term members on the forum, and he obviously trusted me...and it wasn't a sheep station he was selling (Australian slang for not much money, ie a sheep station is a lot of money)

I would trust long term members with a decent post count...

...but we're on the interweb - caveat emptor

cheers

Mike

With regards to your interest in the Nagra pre and the member selling it 

I can vouch for the members integrity as a honest person 

Have met him in person on a few occasions 

We have purchased and sold to each other and even share a passion for coffee 

And he has a nice jet black Labrador 

4 hours ago, andrewp said:

He has beer on the table so he MUST be one of us!!

Well spotted, Argh but what Brand of Beer????

2 hours ago, Full Range said:

With regards to your interest in the Nagra pre and the member selling it 

I can vouch for the members integrity as a honest person 

Have met him in person on a few occasions 

We have purchased and sold to each other and even share a passion for coffee 

And he has a nice jet black Labrador 

Thank you for the kind words, FR!

1 hour ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Well spotted, Argh but what Brand of Beer????

There are only two kinds of beer

"Good beer and better beer"

1 minute ago, Colin Rutter said:

There are only two kinds of beer

"Good beer and better beer"

Or as a mate once told me when asked what was his best beer......reply the next beer.....🍺🍺😂