Sign in to follow this  
Salisbury 79

Linn meets Star Wars - does anyone remember this?

As the main Star Wars saga concludes, I came across this blast from the past (see photo which for some reason has rotated 90deg).

This was very much in keeping with the cheeky Linn & Naim marketing at the time but timeless in its message nonetheless.

The main difference for mine is that the Source these days starts at the mastering/file quality, pre the turntable / CD player.

2136731870_Linn-Maythesourcebewithyou.thumb.jpg.37e21b721c509aa8471dc7020b901f73.jpg

1 hour ago, Salisbury 79 said:

The main difference for mine is that the Source these days starts at the mastering/file quality, pre the turntable / CD player.

100%. But then next most important stop is the Hardware source:)

Agreed! 

I just checked over your list of equipment - looks eclectic and hopefully sounds good.

I notice your5 Gale 401A's. I wonder how they stack up sonically these days.

Actually appropo of your quote from Siegfried Linkwitz, we had a client many years ago who purchased the Gale 401C's simple on the basis of how they looked with the chrome ends. He also had a front door around 10ft wide and house to boot and probably not much listening discrimination:)

Cheers

There was, for a time, another turntable manufactured in Scotland (I believe) which was called, The Source. I remember reading a review in Hi-Fi Answers which rated it as superior to the then all conquering LP12. I wonder if they adopted the name after seeing the badge in the photo?

Out of interest, has anyone ever heard a Source?

Spot on! That badge/promotional motto was probably issued by Linn before the Source and it would not surprise me if the creator of the Source used that line as a cheeky way to get at Ivor when he named his new competitor product!

Again that's a nice lot of gear you have and I am guessing that where you live cranking it up would not be a problem.

Cheers and thanks for that thought.

Posted (edited)
On 01/01/2020 at 5:09 PM, JukKluk2 said:

There was, for a time, another turntable manufactured in Scotland (I believe) which was called, The Source. I remember reading a review in Hi-Fi Answers which rated it as superior to the then all conquering LP12. I wonder if they adopted the name after seeing the badge in the photo?

Out of interest, has anyone ever heard a Source?

I've heard a Source many times - I've owned one since the 1980's!

A lovely turntable.  With a heavy brass platter. 

I believe it's much better than Linn's, but haven't done a comparison. 

The above link is the best "source" of info on the Source/Odyssey turntable I'm aware of; thanks @cafe67 for posting it.

Edited by audiofeline

I enjoyed reading the blog also @cafe67. Interesting memories from "Richard' who purchased an early version.

Amazingly neither I nor my friend John who sold Hifi throughout all that period could remember this unit.

Reading Richards memories, I personally would be on the same page as Mike Moore (the Source designer) in putting musical pleasure rather than accuracy as the main priority.

However I think it's possible to get both or at least I am working towards that.

I just posted a quick review of my experience with some loaned Rega rx-Five speakers that go a long way  in my system towards integrating sheer musical pleasure with a lifelike sound stage  and presence.

For $3.5k speakers they have surprised me and I only hope the theoretically much better spendor D9.2's I have coming do as well or better.

Posted (edited)

I don't think many Source turntables made it into Australia.  There was competition from Linn, Pink Triangle and other turntables at the time, and I don't think there was much room for The Source.  From the blog I recall they were made by hand at the back of Mike's house, so they wouldn't have been a mass-produced item. 

Reflecting on the Linn badge in the first post, Linn may have been making a marketing dig at The Source/Odyssey, being a rival Scottish turntable. 

This is similar to my Source turntable - in black.  It was also produced in a variety of woodgrains.  Latter models had the option to use an external power supply, which was in a similar style black box. 

8079323559_27021793c3_b.jpg

Edited by audiofeline

Yes there were a lot of alternatives including for a short while the Fons. This probably would not have satisfied an importers ideas of reliable supply but I wish I had heard it compared to my old Linn