Speakers Shootout / Comparison: Tannoy Cheviot x KEF 104/2

Thank you for all the feedback and support comments, I know my listening room is not perfect, actually far from it, but it is what it is and I try to make the best and have fun within the constraints of what I have. 

I enjoy doing these videos and will continue to do so, as I believe there are people out there who also enjoy it as well. 

On a side note, I would love to see other members showing their appropriately positioned and suitably matched amplifier/speaker videos, that would be quite something, as I have not seen many members willing to do that on platforms like YouTube. If you are out there please do let us know!

• Like 6

On 31/12/2019 at 4:52 PM, Willmax said:

Video comparison between these two highly regarded British Speakers. 

Please refer to the notes in the video for further details.

Enjoy

So which one did you prefer? 

I've owned both, and the Cheviots are hampered by an extremely inadequate enclosure and a mediocre xover. So, given a pick, stock, I'd take the KEFs.

Let me modify the Cheviots the way I'd like (and have done) and they'd most likely be the pick.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, misternavi said:

So which one did you prefer? 

For 2ch the Tannoy Cheviot due to its more natural tone and midrange. 

For movies, i.e. in a 5.1 setup, the KEF 104/2, given its fuller and more coloured sound signature. 

KEF 104/2 performs really well in this video, but I'm sure HPD315 drivers has got more potential when paired with good cabinets and crossover tweaks. 

I auditioned the Tannoy Turnberry against the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus and prefered the Harbeth. The Harbeth were very laid back and warm but still detailed. The Tannoy were very detailed but on the brighter side. Both fantastic sounding speakers though ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2020 at 8:24 PM, blakey72 said:

I auditioned the Tannoy Turnberry against the Harbeth Super HL5 Plus and prefered the Harbeth. The Harbeth were very laid back and warm but still detailed. The Tannoy were very detailed but on the brighter side. Both fantastic sounding speakers though ;) 

Harbeth, that's a speaker manufacturer that I've not yet listen to, and would love to experience one day.

22 hours ago, Willmax said:

Harbeth, that's a speaker manufacturer that I've not yet listen to, and would love to experience one day.

I was in the same boat. I had read people that loved them and people that thought them nothing special. I listened (well my wife and I) to a pair with a tube amp and music that suited them. They were glorious. 

I think they are very good BUT with the right amp and music. I don't think they would be a broad genre type speaker. 

• Like 1