advice: Vega / Yggdrasil / Grob / ??

I recently upgraded my headphone amp to the Auralic Taurus mkII, and the change has got me thinking that I should upgrade the DAC next. I've been keeping an eye on classified listings, and it seems that there are a lot of good options in the $1,500-$2,000 range.

Both the Auralic Vega and Schiit Yggrasil sometimes come up secondhand in that price range, and from reviews I've read both would suit me well. The Gieseler Grob also looks appealing, though it's harder to find comparisons with the other units. Any advice on the comparion between them? Is there anything else I should look at?

My current headphones are the Focal Clears, which I'm quite happy with. My current DAC is the Gieseler Klein II, fed by an Uptone Regen. Because the Taurus mkII takes XLR input, I suppose a DAC with XLR output would be preferable, but based on my current usage I don't think it's strictly necessary.

• Volunteer

3 hours ago, gollux said:

The Gieseler Grob also looks appealing, though it's harder to find comparisons with the other units. 

The Groß (Gross) DAC has been replaced by the Fein II which is even better.  Reviews, impressions here

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The Groß (Gross) DAC has been replaced by the Fein II which is even better.  Reviews, impressions here

Thanks. I saw this list a couple weeks ago - it's very useful. I had been thinking of the Grob because it's available (second-hand) at a lower price than the Fein II, but perhaps I should take a look.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ittaku said:

Relevant towards the upper end of your price range.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2019-high-end-audio-buyers-guide-dacs-1000-5000/

Take it with a grain of salt of course.

Awesome, thanks.

It is hard to know what to think, though - since (per the post above) the Yggdrasil tests badly using objective measures, it's hard to know what to think of lists that include it highly. But I guess the Yggdrasil does get a lot of love, so perhaps the tests aren't definitive?

2 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Yeah, I had seen the test of the Auralic. I'm leaning in that direction (because it has both positive, subjective reviews and good objective measures), but it's hard to get my bearings given all the options that are out there.

4 hours ago, gollux said:

Awesome, thanks.

It is hard to know what to think, though - since (per the post above) the Yggdrasil tests badly using objective measures, it's hard to know what to think of lists that include it highly. But I guess the Yggdrasil does get a lot of love, so perhaps the tests aren't definitive?

Nothing is ever definitive. Auditioning is the key, and in your own system. The yggy to me sounds detailed but fatiguing so I don't like it. In someone else's system and to their ears it may be the ideal DAC.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gollux said:

Both the Auralic Vega and Schiit Yggrasil sometimes come up secondhand in that price range, and from reviews I've read both would suit me well.

The Vega comes up quite often, so good one to match your Taurus, if you're OCD:

9 hours ago, gollux said:

Is there anything else I should look at?

Also add the Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro to your list.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Nothing is ever definitive. Auditioning is the key, and in your own system. The yggy to me sounds detailed but fatiguing so I don't like it. In someone else's system and to their ears it may be the ideal DAC.

I think this is the thing I'm struggling with: now that I have headphones and amplification I'm happy with, it seems that finding a DAC with good chemistry is important. The trouble is that I'm not sure how to test a component in my system without buying it - but perhaps I should give one of these a whirl and see.

• Volunteer
19 minutes ago, gollux said:

I think this is the thing I'm struggling with: now that I have headphones and amplification I'm happy with, it seems that finding a DAC with good chemistry is important. The trouble is that I'm not sure how to test a component in my system without buying it - but perhaps I should give one of these a whirl and see.

If you buy well from the classifieds on SNA you are likely to get a good bit of kit for a good discount. If you decide it’s not for you, you won’t lose a lot on reselling 

• Like 2