Metaxas amp repair

Guest DrSK

Hey, the thing I have been dreading has happened but not the way I thought. 

My Metaxas A3 power amp is dead on the left channel after the power went off in the house today. 

It's from 1984 and an early Soliloquy (based on an email from its creator) for which he gave the 1985 repair manual. It also details all the internal fuses. 

Any advice on who to go to for help? 

I'm in Sydney.

Turns out after 6 years our boost pump in the laundry, used to get the waste water up a few metres to our main waste pipe, was installed with a $2 hose clip missing. Friction gave up today and the outlet pipe popped off and the pump sprayed water all over a power socket which tripped the breakers for the house. 

Edited by DrSK

1 hour ago, colinm1 said:

Have you checked fuses,

The manual has a whole lot of voltage and tracking checks when replacing fuses. I'd prefer someone who knows what they are doing to follow the manual in case the fuse has blown due to another internal fault rather than risk powering it up with a new fuse. It's an old amp that would cost me $20k to $30k replace with an equivalent based on the struggles of the former owner to find something equivalent but aesthetically more acceptable in his home. 

36 minutes ago, DrSK said:

The manual has a whole lot of voltage and tracking checks when replacing fuses. I'd prefer someone who knows what they are doing to follow the manual in case the fuse has blown due to another internal fault rather than risk powering it up with a new fuse. It's an old amp that would cost me $20k to $30k replace with an equivalent based on the struggles of the former owner to find something equivalent but aesthetically more acceptable in his home. 

Try Val and Peng over at Len Wallis Audio as well. They are good techs as well. Ring first and ask for Service.

These have the reputation to oscillate, whoever you take it to, ask them if they can compensated more, so it's not so wide in bandwidth, which should make it more stable and less prone to oscillate when things like what happened to you happen. 

BTW check all the drivers on the speaker/channel that blew

Jess

Edited by jessandkerry

Thanks all, I rang around but didn't get to talk to the Ken Wallis techs, only the manager.

Trever from Rage Audio was most familiar having worked on a few amps from Metaxas and confirmed this by finishing the name Soliloquy for me which leaves me tongue tied. And talked about typical components specs for these.

I'll be heading over to Trever in a week or two. 

Edited by DrSK

• 2 weeks later...