Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
NatashaSyd

DAC advice. Integrating with a new TV

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

My current system is Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp (2016?), Mission 753 (mid 90s i think) floor standers and I use Chromecast Audio (CCA) to stream Spotify.

I want to integrate a TV into the setup and as far as i cant tell new TVs don't have RCA output...so i'm looking for a DAC with TOSLINK / Digital Audio (optical).

 

My friend has a Cambridge Dacmagic+ and swears by it. Reading this forum the Topper D50 seems to be quite highly regarded. Also the latest version D50s has bluetooth so maybe I could use that rather than CCA for Spotify? I feel like this is a good time to upgrade the CCA, as the amp / speakers probably deserve a something better? 

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty flexible with budget. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say those are quite popular streamers/DACs: 

Bluesound NODE 2i 

Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast Streamer

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Network Music Player 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any from topping  I'm running d70  with opt Bluetooth   with great results

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Can't recommend highly enough and practically a whole forum on here. The S/PDIF version allows you to plug both coax and optical in at the same time.

 

https://www.gieseler.com.au/product-page/m16d-klein-dac-iii

 

I'm set up in lounge with ARC from TV to an Oppo (also using for bluray, HDs full of music etc) then coax to the Klein. Then Sonos Connect as a streamer via optical to the Klein for Spotify etc (never used the Sonos output analogue stages but don't like music out of their speakers.. ). Klein to Redgum amp to Lenehan ML1 Reference. Sonos Connect also allows me to integrate with Sonos in kids bedrooms and kitchen or transmit anything from the line out of the Redgum to every Sonos speaker (Redgum line out is plugged into the Connect RCA input). 

 

Downstairs runs a Gieseler Konverter DAC/Pre. Clays bigger DACs and the Konverter have both S/PDIF and USB etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Tv normally have HDMI ARC, you can buy a DAC with hdmi port that will work as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TDX said:

New Tv normally have HDMI ARC, you can buy a DAC with hdmi port that will work as well. 

What DAC with HDMI do you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Farpun said:

What DAC with HDMI do you recommend?

There are a lot of them will do the work. But if you want a Hifi one then I’m not too sure. One I can think of is Oppo 203 or other model it has hdmi dac. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 05/01/2020 at 6:29 AM, Farpun said:

I've done alot of research and currently use an oppo, thanks for sharing the link

Same here. Running two Oppos, one for lounge and other for man cave.

 

While the 205 is good and well reviewed, the Konverter running off the 205 coax showed it up after only 3 seconds into an album. A stock 205 loses a lot of detail and is harsh in comparison.

 

So good I bought a lower spec Oppo for upstairs and a Klein III to duplicate for a much lower budget ($650 for DAC, $200 Gumtree Oppo). 

Edited by DrSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


16 hours ago, DrSK said:

Same here. Running two Oppos, one for lounge and other for man cave.

 

While the 205 is good and well reviewed, the Konverter running off the 205 coax showed it up after only 3 seconds into an album. A stock 205 loses a lot of detail and is harsh in comparison.

 

So good I bought a lower spec Oppo for upstairs and a Klein III to duplicate for a much lower budget ($650 for DAC, $200 Gumtree Oppo). 

That sounds like a great setup. Because I'm on a tight budget I currently use a 103 as a dac to my headamp for movies and I also use the hdmi in for my games consoles. It sounds great to my ears but I'm considering using a Topping D30 connected to my 103 or alternatively I have been considering connecting it to my TV. Not sure which setup to go with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those Cambridge Audio Dacmagic units are probably the single most over-rated piece of kit in the industry.  They're thin, bright have light and undefined bass and get easily confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Farpun said:

That sounds like a great setup. Because I'm on a tight budget I currently use a 103 as a dac to my headamp for movies and I also use the hdmi in for my games consoles. It sounds great to my ears but I'm considering using a Topping D30 connected to my 103 or alternatively I have been considering connecting it to my TV. Not sure which setup to go with.

The Klein III off an Oppo is a killer, the 103 is a perfect front end for it. Audio quality of his current stuff gets compared with $8k+ DACs.

 

Differences are the Klein is more basic, either USB or S/PDIF input and need external streamer. I've gone the S/PDIF as it allows two inputs, optical and coax allowing me to connect both the Oppo and a streamer at the same time, manual switch between the two. 

 

Clay's DACs are insane value for audio quality. Heaps on his stuff in these forums. 

Edited by DrSK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using the topping d50. Yes I highly recommend it, I had the d50 which was stolen.. The d50 and d50s both have tiny led screens but the remote on the "s" helps alot if you plan on adding a pc in for USB at some point 

 

The strangest thing just happened.. I decided to run my topping d50s from a USB phone charger (a portable one) just to see if anything would change.... Ummm what the hell.. It sounds so so so much better than a wall charger? Can anyone explain this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 09/01/2020 at 10:54 PM, anewmission said:

The strangest thing just happened.. I decided to run my topping d50s from a USB phone charger (a portable one) just to see if anything would change.... Ummm what the hell.. It sounds so so so much better than a wall charger? Can anyone explain this? 


Instead of using a switching supply your now using a battery power supply. 
Although not as clean as it could be, it will induce less noise than a 5V phone charger. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:


Instead of using a switching supply your now using a battery power supply. 
Although not as clean as it could be, it will induce less noise than a 5V phone charger. 
 

So it's better than a 5v phone charger but not as good as a linear power supply? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, anewmission said:

So it's better than a 5v phone charger but not as good as a linear power supply

 
Depends on how it’s made and the how the voltage regulation is implemented. 

I’ve read stuff on DIYAudio about how some of them are ok but not as good as an actual battery supply or low noise linear supply.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I haven’t tested any of this.
 

Honestly if you noticed a difference then that’s all the proof you need. I wouldn’t worry about a low noise linear supply unless you can DIY one. A guy named PMillet has a lowish cost 5V USB DIY project on his site that looks interesting. I’ll probably try to make one of these eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

 
Depends on how it’s made and the how the voltage regulation is implemented. 

I’ve read stuff on DIYAudio about how some of them are ok but not as good as an actual battery supply or low noise linear supply.

Take that with a grain of salt though. I haven’t tested any of this.
 

Honestly if you noticed a difference then that’s all the proof you need. I wouldn’t worry about a low noise linear supply unless you can DIY one. A guy named PMillet has a lowish cost 5V USB DIY project on his site that looks interesting. I’ll probably try to make one of these eventually. 

Looks interesting, how much do you think the diy option would cost? 

My Dac has an extra addon linear supply but it is $170 on amazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anewmission said:

Looks interesting, how much do you think the diy option would cost? 

My Dac has an extra addon linear supply but it is $170 on amazon

I have a D50 myself so I know the PSU your referring to. DIY would be about $90-130 for parts and a case, if you can try and remove postage costs you could save money. Or if you have some of the parts already. 
 

You’ve also have to factor in tools if you don’t already own them. 
 

The problem then is that the linear PSU made for the topping stuff suits the DACs so it will look better and can be displayed with the gear. 
 

There are also much cheaper ways to make a linear supply. Our DIY section is really helpful and could probably point you in the right direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mungbean66 said:

I have a D50 myself so I know the PSU your referring to. DIY would be about $90-130 for parts and a case, if you can try and remove postage costs you could save money. Or if you have some of the parts already. 
 

You’ve also have to factor in tools if you don’t already own them. 
 

The problem then is that the linear PSU made for the topping stuff suits the DACs so it will look better and can be displayed with the gear. 
 

There are also much cheaper ways to make a linear supply. Our DIY section is really helpful and could probably point you in the right direction. 

i agree about it looking better,

however i googled the name you mentioned in your previous post and the psu looks like its a totally different level

the topping dac has one capacitor and looks very simple where as the diy ones have about 8 and look like very decent bits of kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, anewmission said:

i agree about it looking better,

however i googled the name you mentioned in your previous post and the psu looks like its a totally different level

the topping dac has one capacitor and looks very simple where as the diy ones have about 8 and look like very decent bits of kit.

Looks like you have your answer. Time to build a linear supply.

 

The DIY pages will be full of people that can help and might even be able to offer a better linear supply then the one I mentioned.  Also a wealth of knowledge when your building and unsure about something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, NatashaSyd said:

Hi,

 

My current system is Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amp (2016?), Mission 753 (mid 90s i think) floor standers and I use Chromecast Audio (CCA) to stream Spotify.

I want to integrate a TV into the setup and as far as i cant tell new TVs don't have RCA output...so i'm looking for a DAC with TOSLINK / Digital Audio (optical).

 

My friend has a Cambridge Dacmagic+ and swears by it. Reading this forum the Topper D50 seems to be quite highly regarded. Also the latest version D50s has bluetooth so maybe I could use that rather than CCA for Spotify? I feel like this is a good time to upgrade the CCA, as the amp / speakers probably deserve a something better? 

 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm pretty flexible with budget. Thanks

I use the D50- plays music as it is - neutral and quiet. Nothing warm or fuzzy about the sound.
The little toggle volume control is terrible and occasionally gets stuck. Optical on it sounds really good! I use apple TV to the DAC via a 10cm optical cable.

 



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By zakblue
      Item: Emotiva XDA-1 DAC/Digital Preamp
      Location: Balwyn, Vic
      Price: $250
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info:
       
      Happy to ship Australia wide at buyers expense.
       


    • By AlurkA
      Item: Accuphase DAC-50 Option Board
      Location: Melbourne
      Price: $700 ONO (RRP $1500)
      Item Condition: Perfect, used it for a few months in my E-470.
      Reason for selling: Have since moved on to separates and sold the E-470
      Payment Method: Cash, Paypal, COD Only
       
      Extra Info: A plug an play option board for a number of Pre and Integrated Amps in the Accuphase line-up.
       
      Features and Compatible Accuphase products:   http://www.accuphase.com/model/dac-50.html

      Photos:
       
      .
    • By 8thdegree
      Item: BENCHMARK DAC3 HGC + SoundAffairs Linear PSU & Mods
      Location: Bondi Junction, NSW
      Price: $4350 $3990
      Item Condition: Excellent (being conservative, see note below*)
      Reason for selling: Have gone 'ethernet'...
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      BENCHMARK DAC3 HGC. Black version. James Soh SoundAffairs external AC to DC Linear PSU and mods—Ultima Femto Clock, Ultima Voltage Regulator, etc. Have had the unit since March 2019 (bought new). Including retail for the unit (A$3700), the price of the PSU and mods (A$2200), double-freight and import duties via Singapore (A$600), overall retail price is ~A$6500. Reason for selling is that I am moving in a different direction with my sources & DAC, to networked audio over ethernet. This unit is USB-based. DAC comes with original remote.  *Some might say the unit is "as new" given that the little nicks on the PSU were there when it shipped to me! However, since it's been modded I suppose technically the Benchmark unit itself is definitely not "as new". PAYMENT VIA PAYPAL ONLY.   Well, if you're interested in this listing you probably have done your research already. This listing is not for just the highly sought-after Benchmark DAC3 HGC—as if that weren't enough—but for that unit extensively modded by James Soh of SoundAffairs in Singapore, including his all-important custom Linear DC PSU:      Benchmark DAC2 family modification
      WWW.MYSOUNDAFFAIRS.COM For customer reviews, please click here Change the simple oscillator circuit that is used for the ESS9018 Sabre DAC with our Ultima FEMTO low jitter clock then replaced the critical...     Even in its BASE retail form, the Benchmark DAC3 HGC is on a number of high-profile current 'best of' lists, including Stereophile's Recommended Components in its highest "A+" designation:    Recommended Components: 2019 Edition Digital Processors | Stereophile.com
      WWW.STEREOPHILE.COM Digital Processors Editor's Note: The sound of any particular CD transport/digital processor combination will be dependent on the datalink used-see "Bits is Bits?" by Christopher Dunn and...     Quite some cost, logistics and waiting times in orchestrating this combo I can tell you...here's your chance to leverage my expended effort and get hold of this setup, ALMOST NEW, with NO WAIT TIME, and at a STEEP DISCOUNT.

      ESTIMATED DELIVERY COSTS AROUND $120 INSURED. THE ACTUAL COST MAY DEPEND ON DELIVERY LOCATION. PICKUP IN SYDNEY POSSIBLE TO AVOID THIS, SUBJECT TO PAYMENT BEING SECURED AHEAD OF TIME (PAYPAL ONLY).
       
      Photos: See extensive pics. The small nicks are visible on the PSU pics.













         
    • By 81Vintage
      Item: Maverick Audio Tube Magic Plus DAC + Preamp
      Location: Tasmania
      Price: $180.00 inc shipping anywhere in Australia
      Item Condition: Used, Excellent
      Reason for selling: Upgrade
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Purchased recently from fellow SNA member, decided to sell off a few things and upgrade to a new high end unit.
       
      Specs here:
      https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/d1p
       
      Still cost around $400 AUD to bring over from the states. Save a bundle.
       
      Shipping anywhere in Australia included, can drop price a little if you collect in person.

      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.


    • By Snoopy8
      Been going through the Gieseler DAC threads to dig up owners’ reviews & impressions over the past 2 few years.  Together, they provided an impressive picture of how well Clay has made his DACs and has lead me to consider  purchase the upcoming Groß DAC with balanced outputs.   
       
      Fein II Reviews & Impressions
      helland 28 Mar 19 
      RussB 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross Dac with gold tuned PSU
      Snoopy8 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross Dac with gold tuned PSU
      Galatic Soap 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + BluMk2
      Max Headroom 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + MScaler
      andrewyuri 2 Aug 19 compared with Chord 2Qute
      Steve M 8 Aug 19 compared with Holo Audio Spring Level 3, MF Trivista 21,  NuForce Reference, Topping D10
      Suopermanni 12 Sep 19 compared with Topping D70
      Pete Gardner 16 Jan 2020 compared with Klein III
       
      Klein III Reviews & Impressions
      pnes_nv 20 Oct 18 compared with Arcam irDac II
      pete_mac 10 Nov 18 compared with Klein
      DrSK 11 Dec 18 compared with Oppo 205
      Snrub 8 Mar 19 compared with Audiolab M-Dac
      lenticularis 4 Sep 19 compared with Modi 3
      pete_mac 24 Sep 19 compared with Audio-GD PCM1704UK
      bjs 30 Oct 19 compared with Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, 14 Nov 19 compared with Chord Mojo
       
      Groß (Gross) Reviews & Impressions
      illbarto 18 Sep 17 compared with Klein II
      Snoopy8  5 Oct 17 compared with Audiolab 8200CDQ, 13 May 18  compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      BAM 6 Oct 17 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      bhobba 28 Nov 17, 22 Jan 18 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      Ancientflatulence 15 Dec 17
      Suopermanni 23 Dec 17 compared with Gungnir Multibit
      Bill125812 18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Nu Wave
      scumbag  18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      RussB 23 Feb 18, 8 Apr 18 compared with Klein, Chord Qutest
      Mattw 4 Mar 18 6 Mar 18 14 Mar 18 compared with Starting Point Systems DAC3
      Mike13 6 Mar 13 compared with Chord 2Qute, 13 May 18 compared with 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      Francisco 8 Mar 18
      Stereophilus 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua, PSAudio Directstream, Chord DAVE
      Assisi 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua
      Rosco8 24 Mar 18 compared with Cayin (Valve/SS),  ARCAM-II DAC II
      Bunno77 26 Mar 18 compared with Geek Pulse S Infinity
      Rawl99 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      rmpfyf 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      Conch 16 Apr 18 compared with Klein II, Chord 2qute, Accuphase Dac50
      Max Headroom 10 May 18, 13 May 2018 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      buddyev 31 Oct 18 compared with Topping D50
      lemarguis 10 Jul 19 compared with Klein II
      Pkay 23 Jul 19 compared with Chord Qutest + Mscaler
       
      Konverter Reviews & Impressions
      (Has pre-amp as well)
      ~Spyne~ 29 Apr 17
       Woadl 13 Jun 17 compared with Auralic Vega

      Klein II Reviews & Impressions
       Andrewyuri 1 May 16 compared with Klein
       Jonny 31 Jul 16 compared with Antelope Gold
       
      Klein Reviews & Impressions
       GPK 17 Jun 15
       Bill125812 28 Jun 15 compared with NAD M51
       naggots  29 Jun 15
       rambada 7 Aug 15
       matt200sr 10 Aug 15
       naggots 21 Sep 15 on SE version
       scumbag 16 Oct 15 compared with MyDac
       joz 29 Oct 15
       pete_mac 5 Nov 15 compared with audio-gd DAC16DSP
       pop9745 25 Nov 15 compared with Chord Hugo, Resonessence Labs Concero HD, and Ifi
       betocool 1 Dec 15
       woadl 1 Dec 15
       andrewyuri 13 Apr 16 compared with Arcam irDac, Nad M51 
      Jventer 15 May 16 compared with PSAudio Directstream
       NcA 27 May 16
       Tellmidd 16 Jul 16
       Powerav 15 Oct 16
       Zypr 16 Jan 17
      Terry0 11 Mar 18 compared with Oppo 205, Bluesound Node2
       
      Please post if corrections, additions required…
×
×
  • Create New...