Best streaming device for sound

I have a Panasonic 4k UHD TV but the interface and app support is poor.

Thinking of getting either an Apple 4K TV or a Roku Ultra 2019 model.

For streaming music and movies, what would you recommend and why.

I have watched a number of reviews but cannot choose one of the other at the moment.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

What are your sources for music and movies? And is playback only on TV? Plus budget?

Would be netflix, Spotify, tidal etc. I can use Spotify and tidal off an app on my phone for tidal and Spotify but would rather a streaming box. Budget not an issue.

2 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

Would be netflix, Spotify, tidal etc. I can use Spotify and tidal off an app on my phone for tidal and Spotify but would rather a streaming box. Budget not an issue.

There is a bigger issue.  Your TV's speakers are not very good, should consider at a minimum a good soundbar, or a pair of wireless speakers for stereo sound.

What is the reason for not wanting to use the phone for Spotify and Tidal?  These apps are easy to use.  If you are worried about battery or someone accessing a phone, get a tablet. And likely a streaming box may include a phone / tablet app.  As for Netflix, have a look at this good summary

https://www.whistleout.com.au/PayTV/Guides/best-streaming-devices-for-netflix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

There is a bigger issue.  Your TV's speakers are not very good, should consider at a minimum a good soundbar, or a pair of wireless speakers for stereo sound.

What is the reason for not wanting to use the phone for Spotify and Tidal?  These apps are easy to use.  If you are worried about battery or someone accessing a phone, get a tablet. And likely a streaming box may include a phone / tablet app.  As for Netflix, have a look at this good summary

https://www.whistleout.com.au/PayTV/Guides/best-streaming-devices-for-netflix

I have an Anthem 720 and a 7.1 system.

Issue is the Panasonic TV has very few apps which is a shame as is such a good tv.

19 minutes ago, doomigee2 said:

Nvidia  Shield. Really has no equal and plays everything including h265 codecs 

Would have loved to get one but not available here yet ? if ever.

On 29/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Arry74 said:

Just bought an AppleTV 4K.

Cheers

Perfect for movies, but for music consider a dedicated music streamer, the improvement in sound is significant compared to the Apple TV via HDMI.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 31/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, PauliD said:

I like how AppleTV 4K can airplay the audio out. Great for Youtube music videos to my CXN. No need for additional cables an ALAC quality.

Can you explain this please? I have wondered how to improve my YouTube music quality. But it seems to me airplay to cxn which is like Bluetooth isn’t it, (which dac is used?)wouldn’t be as good as hdmi out to my avr so using its dac. 

On 30/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, Arry74 said:

Would have loved to get one but not available here yet ? if ever.

I got my shield as a freebie when I bought my Sony 4K projector. I’m sure you can find one if you look hard enough. 

18 hours ago, christopher said:

Can you explain this please? I have wondered how to improve my YouTube music quality. But it seems to me airplay to cxn which is like Bluetooth isn’t it, (which dac is used?)wouldn’t be as good as hdmi out to my avr so using its dac. 

Airplay can stream CD quality. The limiting factor is YouTube. The CXN dac is used in this setup, so benefits from the StreamMagic up sampling. 

Just tested as I don’t do it often, but no lip sync issues ?

see for yourself! 

Thanks for the effort. I hadn’t thought of trying that. I have my cxn in a separate system to my home theatre but in same room. I’ll have to try it.

• Like 1

for my use the Nvidia Shield is perfect for videos and for music im leaning towards Lumin U1 Mini (if i had the budget U1) 

• Like 1

I’m having trouble getting YouTube out of my atv to my cxn. I managed to do it with iview but YouTube doesn’t seem to have the option. Can you step me through it?

nevermind, I got it. It remembers the audio output from iveiw when I switch them.

Edited by christopher
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By warweary
      Item Condition: Near mint Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Mt Barker State: SA Payment Method: paypal, cash on pickup, direct deposit Reason for selling: no longer required. Further information:  I bought these for a series of flights I had and the QC20 performed admirably in cancelling the airplane noise.  The unit has the battery charged and works great with an iphone 5.  Accessories are pictured and the other silicone ear pads are still in the plastic bags unused.  Note these are the made for apple version, but I suppose the 3.5mm plug may fit other brands too.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.  
    • By Sander H.
      Item Condition: Used (As New) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Perth (NOR; Westminster 6061) State: WA Payment Method: Paypal, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: High-end ROON Music Streaming Server with 1TB SSD internal music storage!

Built completely without ANY moving parts (NO fans) from brand new components, which means it is absolutely, completely, 100% silent. The gorgeous housing is basically one big heat sink for the processor. In other words: no need to hide this rather handsome server in a hall closet.

Identical to the ROON Nucleus server w.r.t its internal components and software, but with better specs and for a much friendlier price! All you need is a ROON suscription and a DAC to play music. Quite a bargain for serious music lovers.

This stylish server has a more powerful processor (Core i5), more memory (8GB) and more storage (240GB) than the ROON Nucleus (Core i3/4GB/64GB).

Contains an Intel NUC with 8th Gen Core i5 processor with 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD. ROON ROCK OS has been installed on it, so all you have to do is connect to your network using a network cable and off you go! It has a built-in 1TB (1000GB) SSD for storing music files, so you don't even need to own a NAS.

Original power adapter (90W) is included.

Specifications:
      - 8th Gen Intel Core i5 (4 cores, 8 threads)
      - 8GB DDR4 2400MHz (1 SO-DIMM, 1 extra slot available, max. 32GB)
      - 240GB SSD (boot/database/Roon)
      - 1000GB SSD (music files)
      - Gigabit Ethernet LAN
      - Thunderbolt 3
      - 4x USB
      - 1x HDMI
      - 90W Power Adapter

Wifi is optional (NOT included). Unfortunately, ROON doesn't really support WiFi. If you really need a WiFi connection, you might consider connecting the ROON server with an Ethernet cable to a WiFi Extender. Please note that this is an untested solution so your mileage may vary (as they say).

ROON subscription is not included.

Shipping Australia-wide is available, but may take some time and I'm not sure about the cost. Pick up in Perth (NOR) is preferred (that way you can see it in action).

Dimensions: (W x D x H) 11.35 x 9.5 x 25 cm; 2.72 Kilograms.

• By migasson
      Item Condition: Very Good Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Kilsyth South State: VIC Payment Method: PayPal,Eftpos or cash Reason for selling: No needed Further information:

Yes, I look after my phones! No cracks, working perfectly. Latest iOS installed, formatted and ready to go.
      Not only do you get the phone, you get the following..
      USB-C fast charger
      Lightning to USB adaptor
      The included airpods, barely used
      3 x USB Lightning cables
      SP Connect kit to mount it on a bicycle or motorcycle- bear in mind, i only used the cover, never rode with it on my bike
      Box, and manual
      This is an unlocked phone! I'll donate $25 when sold to StereoNet 

• By Jventer
      Since 2010 I have been on a journey to move to "computer audio" - and it is an exciting and evolving process.  
      Many of us - in this hobby - are always exploring what is happening and looking on how we can improve our rigs or get into different ways to play our music hence multi channel and high res. 
      Anyway
      Dr. AIX or shall I say Mark Waldrep is running his second kickstarter campaign to publish his second book on these matters.
      I have supported his first project and am also supporting his second project.  Opinions aside if you are interested in these areas there are a lot to learn from his  research and his work.
      More info here: 

• By Nik72
      Item Condition: Great working condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Glen Iris, Melbourne State: Victoria Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, cash on pickup Reason for selling: No longer used Further information:
      Apple Airport Time Capsule 2TB in great working order. Shipping included in price!

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved