Best streaming device for sound

I have a Panasonic 4k UHD TV but the interface and app support is poor.

Thinking of getting either an Apple 4K TV or a Roku Ultra 2019 model.

For streaming music and movies, what would you recommend and why.

I have watched a number of reviews but cannot choose one of the other at the moment.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

What are your sources for music and movies? And is playback only on TV? Plus budget?

Would be netflix, Spotify, tidal etc. I can use Spotify and tidal off an app on my phone for tidal and Spotify but would rather a streaming box. Budget not an issue.

2 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

Would be netflix, Spotify, tidal etc. I can use Spotify and tidal off an app on my phone for tidal and Spotify but would rather a streaming box. Budget not an issue.

There is a bigger issue.  Your TV's speakers are not very good, should consider at a minimum a good soundbar, or a pair of wireless speakers for stereo sound.

What is the reason for not wanting to use the phone for Spotify and Tidal?  These apps are easy to use.  If you are worried about battery or someone accessing a phone, get a tablet. And likely a streaming box may include a phone / tablet app.  As for Netflix, have a look at this good summary

https://www.whistleout.com.au/PayTV/Guides/best-streaming-devices-for-netflix

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

There is a bigger issue.  Your TV's speakers are not very good, should consider at a minimum a good soundbar, or a pair of wireless speakers for stereo sound.

What is the reason for not wanting to use the phone for Spotify and Tidal?  These apps are easy to use.  If you are worried about battery or someone accessing a phone, get a tablet. And likely a streaming box may include a phone / tablet app.  As for Netflix, have a look at this good summary

https://www.whistleout.com.au/PayTV/Guides/best-streaming-devices-for-netflix

I have an Anthem 720 and a 7.1 system.

Issue is the Panasonic TV has very few apps which is a shame as is such a good tv.

• 1 year later...
On 31/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, PauliD said:

I like how AppleTV 4K can airplay the audio out. Great for Youtube music videos to my CXN. No need for additional cables an ALAC quality.

Can you explain this please? I have wondered how to improve my YouTube music quality. But it seems to me airplay to cxn which is like Bluetooth isn’t it, (which dac is used?)wouldn’t be as good as hdmi out to my avr so using its dac. 

On 30/12/2019 at 5:09 PM, Arry74 said:

Would have loved to get one but not available here yet ? if ever.

I got my shield as a freebie when I bought my Sony 4K projector. I’m sure you can find one if you look hard enough. 

18 hours ago, christopher said:

Can you explain this please? I have wondered how to improve my YouTube music quality. But it seems to me airplay to cxn which is like Bluetooth isn’t it, (which dac is used?)wouldn’t be as good as hdmi out to my avr so using its dac. 

Airplay can stream CD quality. The limiting factor is YouTube. The CXN dac is used in this setup, so benefits from the StreamMagic up sampling.