Sign in to follow this  
ctesla75

How to add Audio out to hifi

Hi all,

I recently purchased a cheap CD player, with the intention of running it through an external amplified speaker. However i didnt check the unit properly before buying it. I didnt realise it had no audio output just two speaker outputs. I still want to use the speaker outputs and not always use the external speaker or use all at the same time,. How can i add an audio output. I dont mind pulling the unit apart. The store wont let me return as its been opened.Any helpm is appreciated

Thanks ctesla75

What brand is it model no a picture of the rear will help too?

Panasonic SC-PM250 20 Watt. I can post a picture of the back when I get home after work.

You can add a 3.5mm audio jack or RCA connectors and take the output from the input or output of the volume control.

Guest Muon N'

Get a normal CD Player or something else suitable if that is what you want to do.

Thanks for the reply Warren. Ij haven't had a look outside yet. Do you mean I can just tap the connections of the pot. I'm assuming it's not a digital pot at this stage

20200101_113202.jpg

20200101_113241.jpg

for $15 I'd go for the level converter from Jcar, it's probably just a resistive attenuator but it's cheap enough.

Can i use this level converter while the cd players original speakers are still plugged in, I want the choice to use all speakers at once or just the cd players speakers,

12 hours ago, ctesla75 said:

Can i use this level converter while the cd players original speakers are still plugged in, I want the choice to use all speakers at once or just the cd players speakers,

Yes you can.

High level to low level converters such as this are simple voltage-divider networks  comprising resistors (whether fixed or variable). They typically present quite high impedance and thus don't present a significant load to an amplifier. It's not dissimilar to connecting the high-level inputs on a subwoofer to the output channels of a 2 channel amp.

Is it worth the trouble to do a conversion with your Panasonic?  It's a CD/amplifier combo, and not designed to be a CD deck. 

There are lots of cheap used CD players around (people don't want them any more because they are streaming their music) - look in the classifieds, ebay, pawn shops (eg. cashconverters).  Or go into an electronics store - they have lots of very cheap new DVD players - these will probably also play audio CD disks (get the model number, then go on the internet to download the manual to check the specs to confirm CD playback and RCA stereo outputs, I don't think the salesperson would be reliable to know this detail).