Guest Muon N'
55 minutes ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

As for the size of the enclosure, it seems to me that many manufacturers of DACs, who rely on online business, seem to want to limit product size, or rather the weight of the product to under 2kg, very much with the postage in mind. High output wouldn't be a priority in such a situation.

I'm not concerned with the Emm DAC

And this about enclosure size dictating output V levels makes no sense at all.

I'll leave you with it.

4 hours ago, TDX said:

I think amazon has them for sale? Buy from amazon if not like, return it. 

+1

This is what I will do if I ever feel the need to upgrade to a D70 or D90.

9 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Which DACs are you talking about? D90 has 2v.

All the figures I was quoting were the balanced output voltage. The D90 has 4v balanaced 2v unbalanced. Fairly standard. The directstream has 2.8v balanced 1.4v unbalanced. It's noticeably quiet.

7 hours ago, TDX said:

I think amazon has them for sale? Buy from amazon if not like, return it. 

I saw them on Amazon. I had no idea you could return it for a full refund. Will look into that and see if there's a catch.

Guest Muon N'
11 minutes ago, kelossus said:

All the figures I was quoting were the balanced output voltage. The D90 has 4v balanaced 2v unbalanced. Fairly standard. The directstream has 2.8v balanced 1.4v unbalanced. It's noticeably quiet.

Ah, I seez :thumb:

Looking at the below policy I don't know if Amazon would accept a return. They state the item must unused and unopened with seals intact. Is it just a matter of delicately unpackaging so when you return the item looks unused?

Amazon AU Change of Mind Return Policy

You may return most new, unopened items fulfilled by Amazon AU within 30 days of receipt of delivery for a replacement or full refund of the price you paid for the item if you change your mind - see About Replacements and About Refunds. Unless otherwise stated, original shipping fees for change of mind returns are not refunded. However, you may be eligible for Free Returns shipping.

11 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

Although speakers image better and sound much more natural, headphones lack the issue of being surround by a room and are probably better for critical listening.

They are a much cheaper alternative to reach 'high end' and have phenomenal detail retrieval. What I'm getting at is headphones would be a better indicator of a DACs performance as very subtle things can make a DAC unlistenable.

No. 

9 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Looking at the below policy I don't know if Amazon would accept a return. They state the item must unused and unopened with seals intact. Is it just a matter of delicately unpackaging so when you return the item looks unused?

Amazon AU Change of Mind Return Policy

You may return most new, unopened items fulfilled by Amazon AU within 30 days of receipt of delivery for a replacement or full refund of the price you paid for the item if you change your mind - see About Replacements and About Refunds. Unless otherwise stated, original shipping fees for change of mind returns are not refunded. However, you may be eligible for Free Returns shipping.

Maybe only amazon prime items can free return? I bought one bag before, not good enough, just returned  

3 minutes ago, was_a said:

No. 

Hahahahaha rightio mate

The only review I can find on amazon is “delivery in one week. Very good unit. Sounds good for its cost.”

usually it means just ok...

A good review / advertorial ! (Click on the LINK and get 10% off). 

But there were some valuable observations on AKM's new chip. Reading between the lines, this is the biggest draw-card. Gustard's implementation in its new A22 DAC will be interesting with its transformer utilisation etc. 

Guest Muon N'

It's definitely an interesting chip.

41 minutes ago, was_a said:

But there were some valuable observations on AKM's new chip. Reading between the lines, this is the biggest draw-card. Gustard's implementation in its new A22 DAC will be interesting with its transformer utilisation etc. 

Yes I did notice that. I guess they are just being a bit more honest about their conflict of interest than most hi-fi mags are :)

54 minutes ago, was_a said:

The lines are blurred for me. Can you please explain what you are eluding to?

I would hope I'm not eluding anyone! 

I agreed with the reviewer's observations on past AKM and Sabre chips - the differences between them in sound character. The AK-4499 appears to be a substantial improvement over previous AKMs (particularly the prior AK-4497) and has impressive dynamic range etc. Of course, making the most of this is another matter.

The Topping D90 only uses one chip, but this is no disadvantage to the impending dual-chip competition, in my opinion. (The best Sabre Pro DACs I've heard were all single chip affairs). The fact that the AK-4499 is fully dependent on current is the main technical challenge for designers, and perhaps the small-footprint D90 is taking shortcuts here. The size of the transformer is a case in point.

Edited by was_a

Guest Muon N'

Not very challenging, just requires IV conversion, can be as simple as a resistor, but would more likely be done by the first op amp in this case.

On 23/01/2020 at 11:48 AM, silversurfer said:

I actually have one; received it this morning. 
My main dac is a Metrum Pavane which is fantastic but slightly sleepy, also have a Border Patrol and they all perform very good with my headphones(HD800S, SR009S, SR007 and various Audeze) and amps( KGST, KGSS, Woo WA22, HDV820 and Hifiman EF6) but I always wanted a more holographic soundstage and Instrument/vocals layering.

And at the moment the D90 does just that...relaxed sound with effortless  extension up and down, warmish but ultra clear as in good body with faultless resolution.

The holographic aspect is quite stunning with instruments and voices presented around me and deep into the soundstage...as they say like being in the room with the artist.

Not regretting the purchase and possibly going to sell the Pavane.

Just saw the Pavane up for sale. Still enjoying the Topping D90?

Anyone managed to compare to D50/P50 combo or similar?

Any other comparisons? Be interesting to hear the thoughts of some one who has heard one.

Edited by JPete9

I received my D90 last Friday. 

I'm away from my system at the moment, but the first few days I had with it, my initial observations were that it sounds flattish and much less tonally dense than my MHDT Labs Balanced Pagoda.

I'm hoping it will sound better after it's been running for a few days..

"much less tonally dense" what does this mean? Are you saying your MHDT Labs Balanced Pagoda sounds less clean, warmer or veiled?

Real vocals and instruments sound tonally dense.

So maybe it sounds thin? To me that would be the opposite of a dense sound.

3 hours ago, lordcloud said:

I received my D90 last Friday. 

I'm away from my system at the moment, but the first few days I had with it, my initial observations were that it sounds flattish and much less tonally dense than my MHDT Labs Balanced Pagoda.

I'm hoping it will sound better after it's been running for a few days..

I can't find the single-ended output voltage for the Topping but if you are comparing both using XLR, the Topping outputs 4v and the Pagoda is 6v (If I read their specs correctly).

Unless you are carefully volume matching, this may account for the difference you hear