Topping Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Muon N'

I can't listen to headphones, but some seem to prefer them.

For myself at least listening that way would tell me little of how something would perform with my speakers.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

Guest Muon N'

What is wrong with peoples amps/pre amps that they need these high output levels :S

Or is it the newer chip designs or the implementations of them?

Guest Muon N'
45 minutes ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

These 'low' outputs won't be a problem if one has a top-notch, sensitive pre-amp, which is expensive.

What low outputs?

They seem to have high outputs, most integrated amps and pre amps can work with 2v and and less.

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

Never mind, we've got mixed up in different things in this thread.

Very much so :lol:

I was looking at a lot of these DAC's (never mind the EMM Labs one as that is not for everyone) and how they seem to have higher than the traditional 2v line level, and just trying to work out why things have moved in this direction.

2 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I was looking at a lot of these DAC's (never mind the EMM Labs one as that is not for everyone) and how they seem to have higher than the traditional 2v line level, and just trying to work out why things have moved in this direction.

Which DACs are you talking about? D90 has 2v.

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

I guess it came about when you said you would like a higher output, then Chris mentions another DAC that had 2.8v and he considered that low.

I'm also not sure what the enclosure size has to do with the output level, or how it could mean it has to be lower.

Edit: these newer DAC's seem to be taking over the pre side of things having volume controls and such.

Edited by Muon N'

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

I guess it came about when you said you would like a higher output, then Cris mentions another DAC that had 2.8v and he considered that low.

I'm also not sure what the enclosure size has to do with the output level, or how it could mean it has to be lower.

The EMM Labs DV2 does have higher output:

Maximum output levels: 8.04 or 7.22V (+20.3/19.4dBu), balanced; 4.02 or 3.61V (+14.3/13.4dBu), unbalanced.

which is fantastic as DAC output, and also makes it able to drive a power amp directly. Even so, it does not compare with a dedicated pre-amp.

D90, with its 2v output, is not in the same category.  As for the size of the enclosure, it seems to me that many manufacturers of DACs, who rely on online business, seem to want to limit product size, or rather the weight of the product to under 2kg, very much with the postage in mind. High output wouldn't be a priority in such a situation.

8 hours ago, kelossus said:

Since that post I have now read the ASR and this SNA thread in it's entirety and it certainly has me reconsidering the whole purchase. I feel like I am getting sucked into the somewhat false hype based purely on measurements. I need some solid recommendations from experienced ears. Also historically the new Topping models get released on MassDrop at a discount, it might be worth waiting?

I am somewhat prepared to buy it and take a possible 30-40% loss on the 2nd hand market if it's not my cup of tea. I would need to directly compare it to the Fein/Grob to draw any conclusions. I am sure a few local SNA members would be interested to see how this stacked up, maybe even Clay?

I don't think it would be as good as Clay's products but that is based on nothing.

I think amazon has them for sale? Buy from amazon if not like, return it. 

Guest Muon N'
55 minutes ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

As for the size of the enclosure, it seems to me that many manufacturers of DACs, who rely on online business, seem to want to limit product size, or rather the weight of the product to under 2kg, very much with the postage in mind. High output wouldn't be a priority in such a situation.

I'm not concerned with the Emm DAC

And this about enclosure size dictating output V levels makes no sense at all.

I'll leave you with it.

9 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

All the figures I was quoting were the balanced output voltage. The D90 has 4v balanaced 2v unbalanced. Fairly standard. The directstream has 2.8v balanced 1.4v unbalanced. It's noticeably quiet.

7 hours ago, TDX said:

I think amazon has them for sale? Buy from amazon if not like, return it. 

I saw them on Amazon. I had no idea you could return it for a full refund. Will look into that and see if there's a catch.

Guest Muon N'
11 minutes ago, kelossus said:

All the figures I was quoting were the balanced output voltage. The D90 has 4v balanaced 2v unbalanced. Fairly standard. The directstream has 2.8v balanced 1.4v unbalanced. It's noticeably quiet.

Ah, I seez :thumb:

Looking at the below policy I don't know if Amazon would accept a return. They state the item must unused and unopened with seals intact. Is it just a matter of delicately unpackaging so when you return the item looks unused?

Amazon AU Change of Mind Return Policy

You may return most new, unopened items fulfilled by Amazon AU within 30 days of receipt of delivery for a replacement or full refund of the price you paid for the item if you change your mind - see About Replacements and About Refunds. Unless otherwise stated, original shipping fees for change of mind returns are not refunded. However, you may be eligible for Free Returns shipping.

11 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

Although speakers image better and sound much more natural, headphones lack the issue of being surround by a room and are probably better for critical listening.

They are a much cheaper alternative to reach 'high end' and have phenomenal detail retrieval. What I'm getting at is headphones would be a better indicator of a DACs performance as very subtle things can make a DAC unlistenable.

No. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kelossus said:

Looking at the below policy I don't know if Amazon would accept a return. They state the item must unused and unopened with seals intact. Is it just a matter of delicately unpackaging so when you return the item looks unused?

Amazon AU Change of Mind Return Policy

You may return most new, unopened items fulfilled by Amazon AU within 30 days of receipt of delivery for a replacement or full refund of the price you paid for the item if you change your mind - see About Replacements and About Refunds. Unless otherwise stated, original shipping fees for change of mind returns are not refunded. However, you may be eligible for Free Returns shipping.

Maybe only amazon prime items can free return? I bought one bag before, not good enough, just returned  

A good review / advertorial ! (Click on the LINK and get 10% off). 

But there were some valuable observations on AKM's new chip. Reading between the lines, this is the biggest draw-card. Gustard's implementation in its new A22 DAC will be interesting with its transformer utilisation etc.