JoJo Rabbit

58 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Interesting , I thougt there were at least a couple of scene s where his invisible friend was glaringly absent 

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I thought the movie was ok, but overhyped, and I guess superficial. It was something that had an interesting concept and start but sort of diverged. So after his mother's fate, which even directly was smoothed over by not even putting it into discussion, there wasn't any funny or even confrontation.

Don't get me wrong.i appreciate the movie, and the effort, and the left field nature of it. But it missed too many marks with me, Andi struggle to understand the acclaim. I feel the same way about Tarrantino. Thinking about it I love 3 of his movies, Pulp, Basterds, and Django. I personally don't like any of the others, to the point after Kill Bill 1 I've never seen Kill Bill 2. And the amount of money you'd need to pay me to see any of those again would be what it need to allow me to quit work and retire. But you know what? I love his passion for it and that he makes them.

• Like 2

we watched it 2nd time and enjoyed it even more. totally fine with the imaginary friend :)  movies like this are always going to be dividing... I could have kept thinking same always through movie as i did first 10 min... but something clicked for me... may not be the case for other folk .... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This will be the last Waititi film I watch. I find his stuff boring. Couldn't get into Wilderpeople or most of his stuff. Even What we do in the shadows... I originally saw unknowing what it was, thought the premise was brilliant but have been bored by any episodes I've seen since.

I liked the idea of Jojo Rabbit but turned it off halfway through. It was just so uninteresting and not entertaining! Not funny at all. How did this piece of crap get so many plaudits?!

21 minutes ago, Esoterica said:

I liked the idea of Jojo Rabbit but turned it off halfway through. It was just so uninteresting and not entertaining! Not funny at all. How did this piece of crap get so many plaudits?!

Ummm, maybe because a lot of people liked it?

• Like 1

On 24/06/2020 at 8:37 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I thought the movie was ok, but overhyped, and I guess superficial. It was something that had an interesting concept and start but sort of diverged. So after his mother's fate, which even directly was smoothed over by not even putting it into discussion, there wasn't any funny or even confrontation.

Don't get me wrong.i appreciate the movie, and the effort, and the left field nature of it. But it missed too many marks with me, Andi struggle to understand the acclaim. I feel the same way about Tarrantino. Thinking about it I love 3 of his movies, Pulp, Basterds, and Django. I personally don't like any of the others, to the point after Kill Bill 1 I've never seen Kill Bill 2. And the amount of money you'd need to pay me to see any of those again would be what it need to allow me to quit work and retire. But you know what? I love his passion for it and that he makes them.

It's baffling to me how people can give JR such glowing reviews. I don't turn off movies that I've payed for (a rental in this case) very often, but I really liked very little about this movie and couldn't stand watching a second more. Probably the titular character was the only redeeming feature. Even disliked one of my favorite actors (Sam Rockwell) in this rule.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esoterica said:

God knows how, but it's not unusual for award winners to be garbage. There's a great deal that have canned JR like me too.

Exactly the same was said about other films that have stood the test of time (e.g. A Clockwork Orange). But no film is perfect and no film is to everyone's taste. Personally, I thought it uneven, but watchable with some great performances.

• Like 1