Sign in to follow this  
Chabs

Receiver suggestions for my father...

Hi all, happy holidays! first time posting here...

I have the task of setting up my dad with a new stereo system for his birthday this year and need some recommendations on receivers and speakers.

His current setup is one old school amplifier hooked up to two big old JBL's that and only has a cd player connected, this is located in the kitchen for when he is cooking. 
He also has a receiver and some smaller bose speakers at the other end of the house for listening to radio.

My idea is to buy him a new stereo receiver that has multiple zones to replace his receiver, and new wireless speakers to go in the kitchen as the second zone. 

Any recommendations on what to  buy or any better ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Budget: ~$1,100

What model jbl’s & amplifier does he have?

Also have you spoken to him about your plan, some people don’t appreciate change no matter how honourable your intentions are.

If the old receiver and JBL's are decent gear you might actually go backwards in sound quality.

Guest Muon N'

I agree with both the above posters.

1100 bucks doesn't buy much in the way of quality reproduction new or used, if indeed the JBL's and the amp, and the receiver at the other end of the house are classics it could be a big downgrade for the sake of convenience.

Yeah find out model numbers of what he has and we might be able to use some existing with newer gear.

Guest Muon N'

As some others have suggested, please get the makes and models of what he has so we can be more helpful. Sound is also so personal, even if some think that the replacement system would be a good move, ya' Dad may not.

@Chabs Yeah, supply the details of what hes got. You might be able to send him on a holiday instead👌

Agree with the others. 

If you want to bring him into the streaming age for that budget just add a Sonos connect (not the amp version) and connect via RCA to his existing amp. Could even buy two for that budget and add one to each system. Then you have two zones in the house which can work independently or play the same music. The Connect can also take line out off one of his amps and stream it to the other system, eg play his CDs in both rooms off the one CD player. 

With respect to his old systems, you can get better stereo out of the right $100 2nd hand old school amp from the 70s or 80s than a new $2400 Yamaha multizone receiver.

I ditched my receiver above for 3 stereo amps and never looked back, 2 are from the 1980s.

I also own two $1500 Sonos Play 5 version 2 wireless speakers which I hate for music or anything but test equipment for work. But this could be expected given that a pair of wireless speakers are actually two speakers, two amplifiers, two DACs, plus wireless networking cards, no budget in there for quality at a price of $1500. The Connects are useful though and so are other Sonos for the kids rooms. 

Edited by DrSK