How wide can I go

Hi guys, I've been 

Out of the riding scene for quite some time and have new found interest in the activity to supplement my running.

I was thinking of getting a gravel bike due to the type of riding I will be doing but a light bulb went off and I thought how about just changing the tyres on my current bike.

My bike is old but in very good condition. It's a Giant OCR Zero (9 speed Ultegra endurance road bike), how can I determine how wide a tyre will fit on this bike? Just measure the clearance between forks? Also can a wider tyre even fit on the same wheels?

Edited by Mr_Gadget

Looks like the internal width of the wheel is 20.8 mm. The fork clearances will determine how wide you can go.

Shimano recommendation is up to 28mm as the max, probably to do with the fork clearances.
if you do a search there is rough guide on the dimensions/profile of each tire as it sits on different rims widths. 
Have a looks at the continental that I recommended below

Although i would take it to a bike shop and try to fit. Rather than order and try it that way.

Would be looking at something like continental speed kings in 32mm with black chili compound. I had them on my focus Corrente fitness series bike and they are fantastic for grip. 

https://www.bikebug.com/continental-speed-king-cx-racesport-folding-clincher-tyre-p-76415.html

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-4BE0D-000-ENG.pdf

D2E92548-85DD-4540-A956-B76DF4779B15.png

Edited by Neo

Had a look at the min width of CX/gravel tyres and they all hover around 32mm widths. Any narrower and defeats their purpose. So would look at fork clearances first and picking tyre accordingly.

Neo

I’m in Sydney unfortunately so can’t advise a good bike shop. Perhaps other may chime in. Looked up the spec on Shimano website, the other best way to do it is remove the tyre and measure with the ruler internal width, do not measure the rim bead on either side. Perhaps take a picture in profile looking into the area of the tyre/rim/fork for us. 
Neo

• Moderators

best visit a show as intending, i do ride gravel in between dirt and bike paths and our hybrids are 35-38mm hybrid tyres. i wouldnt in all honestly go any less or can get a bit dicey. gravel can shred tyres too. ive mostly on our bikes moved across to the schwalbe puncture proof and they seem rugged enough for most conditions :) 

On 27/12/2019 at 3:50 AM, Neo said:

Looks like the internal width of the wheel is 20.8 mm. The fork clearances will determine how wide you can go.

Shimano recommendation is up to 28mm as the max, probably to do with the fork clearances.
if you do a search there is rough guide on the dimensions/profile of each tire as it sits on different rims widths. 
Have a looks at the continental that I recommended below

Although i would take it to a bike shop and try to fit. Rather than order and try it that way.

Would be looking at something like continental speed kings in 32mm with black chili compound. I had them on my focus Corrente fitness series bike and they are fantastic for grip. 

https://www.bikebug.com/continental-speed-king-cx-racesport-folding-clincher-tyre-p-76415.html

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-4BE0D-000-ENG.pdf

D2E92548-85DD-4540-A956-B76DF4779B15.png

Interestingly, the tyres on my bike are 23, which indicates they are too narrow for the rim according to the table!

I must have another look at them but as mentioned I'll measure the fork clearance first as this may put a stop to my gravel tyre choice.

The narrower the tyre the less friction it has with the road, you end up going faster. But the comfort suffers and you invariably have less grip due to smaller contact patch. The guide above is a guide and will depend on many factors, one is fork clearances. Have a look, I would be surprised if you can’t fit 32mm from continental I mentioned above. That is a very good tyre and will suit your applications perfectly. 
Every tyre size will present a different bulge on different rims. Internet will have the measurements, you will have to do some research, as you are not the first posing this question 

Neo

On 02/01/2020 at 11:26 AM, Neo said:

The narrower the tyre the less friction it has with the road, you end up going faster. But the comfort suffers and you invariably have less grip due to smaller contact patch. The guide above is a guide and will depend on many factors, one is fork clearances. Have a look, I would be surprised if you can’t fit 32mm from continental I mentioned above. That is a very good tyre and will suit your applications perfectly. 
Every tyre size will present a different bulge on different rims. Internet will have the measurements, you will have to do some research, as you are not the first posing this question 

Neo

I think the view that narrower tyres have less friction and are faster has been debunked

https://road.cc/content/feature/182519-trend-spotting-why-you-need-switch-wider-tyres

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

Another difficulty with fitting wider tyres to narrower rims is that cross sectional profile of the tyre and therefore the overall width of the tyre can vary depending on the width of rim. eg fitting a 28mm tyre on a 20mm rim will present a different shape and possibly a different width to fitting the same tyre on a 23mm rim. Clearance between the forks is the limiting factor in general. I agree with the posts recommending a visit to a good bike shop for an opinion on tyre options for your bike.

A quick google search and forum read indicates 25mm will fit comfortably, and 28mm will probably fit but you may need to inflate the tire after fitting wheel. 

Hi guys, I searched on line and yes it seems that 28 is the widest that will fit. I may still go to a bike store to check but may be tempted to spend too much on a new bike!

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

Hi guys, I searched on line and yes it seems that 28 is the widest that will fit. I may still go to a bike store to check but may be tempted to spend too much on a new bike!

please do go to the bike shop and take bike in :)

Posted (edited)

Went to a bike shop today and was told that a 28mm tyre would probably be problematic due to clearance. So I think it's not worth changing from 23 to 25 or even 28 even if they could just fit. The guy at the store recommend I look at the toughroad, revolt or his favourite model, the Fast Road (flatbar).

I had a look and actually really like the look of the FastRoad Advanced. Comes with a 32 tyre that should handle The gravel sections of the Main Yarra Trail, it has clearance for a bit wider tyre if needed.

Might go again and have a test ride in the next few days.

Edited by Mr_Gadget

I picked up the bike today and can some one please tell me if the black plastic bit on the cable is meant to clip into something? It looks like it is supposed to but I can't figure it out.

IMG_20200111_173147567.jpg

IMG_20200111_173201105.jpg

Edited by Mr_Gadget
Never mind, found a YouTube video showing where it goes.