Hi-Res Music Download Sites

Mickey1

This is a topic I'd thought about starting a thread on.  More particularly, how to work around regional constraints.  Some sites can see where you credit card or paypal account is based (eg. Onkyo).

I am no expert at this, but some ideas I gained from my research and trial and error are ...

Tunnel Bear is an easy vpn.  Vpns can be a minefield of risk, so be careful.

I've managed to buy from HDtracks, and noticed their regional constraints for artists/albums sometimes differ between their US and UK sites.

Some artists sell albums directly from their websites.

I'll dig up my notes and paste them here as an edit later.

Ripped CDs and Tidal are still so sarisfying though, I'm not desperate for higher res downloads.  My Devialet upscales to 192/24. Roon and various software can upscale too.  These are just things to consider and I dont mean to derail this thread with debates about CD res v higher res or SQ of upscaled audio ... they are seperate topics.

Edited by dbastin

I might have rambled about this on another thread but i do the following when buying from HDTracks (the only site i personally use);

I use the Opera browser (has a built-in VPN) when accessing HDTracks

You have to have a US address when creating a profile - and HDTracks only want to make sure you use a 'real' postcode so google is your friend there, i believe i live in Alabama somewhere...

Then i use PayPal to purchase as PP and HDT don't swap card detail info (as its an AUS credit card).

Purchasing online is the easy i part i have found - incorporating the album/tracks into my library is where i can screw it up!

6 hours ago, rowbo said:

You have to have a US address when creating a profile - and HDTracks only want to make sure you use a 'real' postcode so google is your friend there, i believe i live in Alabama somewhere...

Then i use PayPal to purchase as PP and HDT don't swap card detail info (as its an AUS credit card).

I use my real (Aussie) address and credit card details with HDtracks. Using my proxy in the US lets me bypass the geofencing, and I can buy and download anything I like.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been using Boomkat.com, a UK retailer, for some years now. It's very much about the esoteric underground scene and not mainstream. You will find the odd leftfield charting album but deffo not Taylor Swift. I have discovered heaps of great artists through this site. Very good on electronica, modern classical which I like. 

Hi res files are 24 bit where available which is generally most the time otherwise I guess they were never available in the first place. Generally most music is available through a global licence but that's a reflection of the indie labels.