Plz Help Choose Soundbar

I picked up a hisense oled and the LG SL8YG for my parents in the boxing day sales - soundbar for simplicity for elderly parents.

I must say, I am quite dissapointed. Apart from the bass from the subwoofer, and greater volume headroom - your almost better off with the in-built speakers from the modern panels.

An entry level AVR and 2.1 or 3.1 system would be much better, or at least a significant step up from the in-built speakers.

1 hour ago, AudioGeek said:

I picked up a hisense oled and the LG SL8YG for my parents in the boxing day sales - soundbar for simplicity for elderly parents.

I must say, I am quite dissapointed. Apart from the bass from the subwoofer, and greater volume headroom - your almost better off with the in-built speakers from the modern panels.

An entry level AVR and 2.1 or 3.1 system would be much better, or at least a significant step up from the in-built speakers.

I did not listen to the SL8, but I have purchased an SL10.   Setup, by default, does not use the upward firing speakers unless you play true ATMOS or DTS:x., so the sound can be a bit thin.  Select "Standard" sound, then turn on the "Surround Sound" (hold the channel volume adjust button on the remote for a few seconds, until it displays "OFF - Surround Sound" then quickly press it again so it says "On- Surround Sound", then all your normal 5.1 sources will be converted to 5.1.2 and, subjectively, it will all sound MUCH better.

Alternatively, use the "Movie" sound effect.  Not as convincing as the above as far as channel positioning, but gives a LOT more sound.  Can sound twice as loud & "full" as Standard.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, peppy said:

Samsung Q90r is bad to say the least, very boxy, very hollow. (bloody re-enforces my thought of reviews are mostly paid/sponsored)

Liked Yamaha YSP 5600MK2, but the nil HDR & (latest fad word support), kills the deal for me.

Bose with Subwoofer & Rears is costing $2000, something 'does not sound' right in spending as much on a soundbar setup.

Now , considering

Yamaha RXV 685

+

Q Acoustics 3020i Front Speakers

+

Q Acoustics Center 3090

+

Yamaha MusicCast 20 Wireless rears

+

Subwoofer SW - 100

All for $2200.....

Yes it's high price from my budget, but the only good sounding Soundbar i found was Bose 700 and that too is costing me $2000.

Phew.....!!!!! Decisions ......   :(

Looks interesting. + you can always upgrade AVR in the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irek said:

Looks interesting. + you can always upgrade AVR in the future. 

Now the setup is:

Room1 :

Q Acoustics 3020i x 4 (Front & Rears)

Q Acoustics 3090 x 1 Centre

Yamaha IC600 x 2 (Ceiling for Atmos)

Paradigm DSP - 3100 Subwoofer

Yamaha RXV 685 Receiver

= $2800

Room2:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V

Denon X550BT Receiver

= $1600

All in all ok !

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & advise.

24 minutes ago, peppy said:

Now the setup is:

Room1 :

Yamaha RXV 685 Receiver

= $2800

Room2:

Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V

Denon X550BT Receiver

= $1600

All in all ok !

Thanks everyone for the suggestions & advise.

I like the room 1 setup. Congrats. 

• 4 months later...

I actually have the Bose 700 but don't yet have the sub for it.

It's very good at what it does. The sub will make it great though.

I see everyone piling on saying you should get a real amp / speaker setup - I'm sure you have your reasons. I have both)

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 7:18 PM, Irek said:

Room1 :

Yamaha RXV 685 Receiver

= $2800

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but this is pretty much the set-up I'm considering.  For now I'm only thinking about getting 2 of the Q Acoustics 3020i for the front speakers and the 3090Ci for the centre, along with the RXV685 receiver. I'm not sure on what sub to get. How are you liking this setup? Have you had any issues with the speakers?

2 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

Sorry for dragging up an old post, but this is pretty much the set-up I'm considering.  For now I'm only thinking about getting 2 of the Q Acoustics 3020i for the front speakers and the 3090Ci for the centre, along with the RXV685 receiver. I'm not sure on what sub to get. How are you liking this setup? Have you had any issues with the speakers?

For the money , I havent heard better passive speakers.

I am using a Paradigm DSP3100 V2 , purchased for $650

For me the sub parameter was , it can kick in and add body at low volumes, and Paradigm delivers that for sure.

BUT , and a big BUTT ;)

My purchase price was (6 months ago) :

Q Acoustics 3020i x 4 @$450 a pair = $900

Q Acoustics 3090i x 1 = $350

Yamaha RXV685 = $650

Yamaha IC600 = $200

Q 3000 series wall brackets x 5 = $150

14 AWG 50 mt wire = $100

Paradigm DSP 3100 V2 Sub = $650

$3000

So FOR THE PRICE, I couldn't be any happier.