Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
ufo

Losing the interest and also realising that dumping thousands doesn't make that much of difference

Recommended Posts

After seeing above, I thought I should start a new conversation about loosing the interest in chasing the ultimate and settling down with what's reasonable.

Three years ago I reached the end point of setting up combined ultimate home theatre and 2 channel stereo system in my budget range in my old house (sold it and moved into a smaller town house)

Which was a 11.2 Dolby Atmos system which consisted of Yamaha CX-A5100, 2 Anthem M1 monoblocks, an Anthem A1 plus Anthem PVA5 and a Paradigm Sub 2. M1 monoblocks ran my Paradigm Signature S8s, A1 ran a pair of Signature S2 and a pair of KEF XQ20 and a Paradigm Signature C3. PVA5 ran 4 ceiling speakers of Athena. For the 2CH set up I had a Yamaha CD-S2100 going thru a Parasound JC2 with Home Theatre bypass  hooked up to M1 monoblocks.  Boy did I enjoy that 2CH setup, it was pure bliss.  

Then retirement knocked on the door and we decided to sell the big old house and move into a smaller townhouse. There was no way I could keep all of that so I started doing very careful listening as to how to reduce my system. Initially I thought I would get rid of everything and hang on to my 2CH setup. But after doing a lot of A & B listening between CD-S2100, JC2, M1s, S2 and CD-S2100, CX-A5100, M1s, S2, I've come to conclusion of not keeping CJ2 and sticking with CX-A5100. Now before you guys start lynching me, I do realise the difference between JC2 and CX-A5100 as a pre-amp but does the difference in the sound justify the price/cost diffrence?!? and also CX-A5100 comes with all those bells and whistles. To me it didn't. So I got rid of everything except CX-A5100. M1s, A1, S8s, XQ20s, Sub 2. Now I have 5.1 home teathre setup with CX-A5100, M1s, A1, Sub2, S8s, XQ20s and a C3 with 2 CH setup going thru CX-A5100, M1s and S8s and very happy with it.

How about you guys, has anyone been thru such downgrade for a change where everything seems to be about upgrade even though sometimes side ways?!?

Edited by ufo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will not be the first nor last to question whether it is worth chasing the next upgrade.  I went through a major simplification process early this year and have never been happier with my music setup.  There was also a similar thread

As long as you are happy and contented, that is all that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo, you’ve done the right thing and taken everything into account and settled on a system you are happy with, no one can “Lynch” you for that and if they try they should go searching for a life!

 

Enjoy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Down size,Simplify, its all good and a system at the point of diminishing returns gets very expensive.Enjoy what you have and I think you'll be more satisfied for it.

I'm at a similar stage as you with my system.I love the sound of it and sometimes try to eek that last bit of sound quality out of it by buying and trying this or that with no improvement that I can hear.

Ill stick with what I have and I think eventually Simplify,Downsize to gear that will fit my needs in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching the other thread as I’ve recently achieved the opposite (and congrats to OP for doing the same).
 

I’m two years back in after a 15 year hiatus from hifi... I’ve just reached a ‘synergy’ and for a few weeks now I’m just listening to music and buying up records, not tweaking and thinking about what’s ‘wrong’. I spend quite a time upgrading, and then sidegrading to get there, and simplifying.

 

Even my long term upgrade wants (new cartridge and next series up of the same speakers) are now floating far at the back of my mind as a pleasant ‘one day’ instead of occupying my mind while listening.

 

I’m even spending far more time on Steve Hoffman (music corner) than here.

 

Took that full two years to get there though, but this is where it’s at!

Edited by furtherpale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downsized and consolidated myself some many years ago...loosing my dedicated music room to impending little ones baby room. it was a calamity for me ...giving up the music room something i had for many years... however it turned out to be a boon and blessing in disguise...with the main lounge setup where did a bit of a combined setup of 2ch and av... turned out even better sonically than could ever imagine or how the smaller music room ever was.

 

so can be upsides.... i didnt unfortunately find the av gear upto capabilities of was my much older 2ch gear of the time. and i have ever since stuck with the combined 2ch av rig. upgrading both over the years.  

 

apart from some of my av gear (which is tech that seems to progress at alarming rate ), most of my stuff is neither cutting edge or latest and greatest. tend to sit back enjoy... am sure all of it can be improved upon in some ways with upgrades, but just have put that sort of thoughts beyond me for now :)

 

ps biggest upside of the combined setup is it is in the lounge room, meaning no longer locked myself away to enjoy music or closed off in a dedicated room one the av side. so both music and av tends to be a more inclusive family experience....so every cloud as i found can have a silver lining, what can be a downsize and consolidating can be also great way to take things forward and improve on the enjoyment factor :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upsize or downsize, side movement, it is all the same....they are all choices that we are lucky enough to be able to make. Many are not as privileged as we are. Celebrate and enjoy that we can sit back relax and take the time to enjoy the art created by others. 
merry Xmas all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


50 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ps biggest upside of the combined setup is it is in the lounge room, meaning no longer locked myself away to enjoy music or closed off in a dedicated room one the av side. so both music and av tends to be a more inclusive family experience....so every cloud as i found can have a silver lining, what can be a downsize and consolidating can be also great way to take things forward and improve on the enjoyment factor :) 

Many people here love their dedicated room and cannot understand the joy of sharing music and movies with the family.  Welcome to this side of the world!  :welcome:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 9:16 PM, Snoopy8 said:

You will not be the first nor last to question whether it is worth chasing the next upgrade.  I went through a major simplification process early this year and have never been happier with my music setup.  There was also a similar thread

As long as you are happy and contented, that is all that matters.

Yeah I'm happy with the equipment but not with the new room. It has horrible acoustics and is crying out loud for some sound panelling but only if I can convince the Mrs, which is next to impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 10:14 PM, LogicprObe said:

 

Get some good headphones and go from there.

Nor a bad idea but no headphone will create heart thumbing bass coming out of SUB2, that's is musical bass nothing like typical booooomy crap you get from lesser subies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Bravo, you’ve done the right thing and taken everything into account and settled on a system you are happy with, no one can “Lynch” you for that and if they try they should go searching for a life!

 

Enjoy! 

Ha ha ha. Well preferring CX-A5100 over JC2 as a 2CH preamp, no matter what the logic/reason behind it, I thought I would be lynched on SNA but surprisingly not so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 25/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, craka said:

Down size,Simplify, its all good and a system at the point of diminishing returns gets very expensive.Enjoy what you have and I think you'll be more satisfied for it.

I'm at a similar stage as you with my system.I love the sound of it and sometimes try to eek that last bit of sound quality out of it by buying and trying this or that with no improvement that I can hear.

Ill stick with what I have and I think eventually Simplify,Downsize to gear that will fit my needs in the future.

Go for it. When I look back, I still scratch my head what the heck I was doing constantly upgrading, poring every extra cash I got into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ufo said:

Nor a bad idea but no headphone will create heart thumbing bass coming out of SUB2, that's is musical bass nothing like typical booooomy crap you get from lesser subies.

 

It's mostly unnatural bass anyway.

Most rock recordings will have anything you can't hear shelved out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, furtherpale said:

I was watching the other thread as I’ve recently achieved the opposite (and congrats to OP for doing the same).
 

I’m two years back in after a 15 year hiatus from hifi... I’ve just reached a ‘synergy’ and for a few weeks now I’m just listening to music and buying up records, not tweaking and thinking about what’s ‘wrong’. I spend quite a time upgrading, and then sidegrading to get there, and simplifying.

 

Even my long term upgrade wants (new cartridge and next series up of the same speakers) are now floating far at the back of my mind as a pleasant ‘one day’ instead of occupying my mind while listening.

 

I’m even spending far more time on Steve Hoffman (music corner) than here.

 

Took that full two years to get there though, but this is where it’s at!

As others said, as long as u r happy ..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LogicprObe said:

 

It's mostly unnatural bass anyway.

Most rock recordings will have anything you can't hear shelved out.

Who says I'm listening rock. It is mostly small band Jazz and you need a decent sub to hear that double bass. Something like below.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 25/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, betty boop said:

I downsized and consolidated myself some many years ago...loosing my dedicated music room to impending little ones baby room. it was a calamity for me ...giving up the music room something i had for many years... however it turned out to be a boon and blessing in disguise...with the main lounge setup where did a bit of a combined setup of 2ch and av... turned out even better sonically than could ever imagine or how the smaller music room ever was.

 

so can be upsides.... i didnt unfortunately find the av gear upto capabilities of was my much older 2ch gear of the time. and i have ever since stuck with the combined 2ch av rig. upgrading both over the years.  

 

apart from some of my av gear (which is tech that seems to progress at alarming rate ), most of my stuff is neither cutting edge or latest and greatest. tend to sit back enjoy... am sure all of it can be improved upon in some ways with upgrades, but just have put that sort of thoughts beyond me for now :)

 

ps biggest upside of the combined setup is it is in the lounge room, meaning no longer locked myself away to enjoy music or closed off in a dedicated room one the av side. so both music and av tends to be a more inclusive family experience....so every cloud as i found can have a silver lining, what can be a downsize and consolidating can be also great way to take things forward and improve on the enjoyment factor :) 

Well, u r lucky that u switched to a sonically better room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I've been in the front row or side of stage at plenty of jazz concerts and never felt any chest thumping bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

 

I've been in the front row or side of stage at plenty of jazz concerts and never felt any chest thumping bass.

Well I suppose what sort of Jazz it is. If you are listening to something with out a Bouble Bass, you wouldn't hear anything like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I have played a double bass and didn't feel it either.

Maybe it was faulty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is surprisingly relaxing and calming to be in the happy zone.

 

The rush is gone and I have more time to enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ufo said:

Well I suppose what sort of Jazz it is. If you are listening to something with out a Bouble Bass, you wouldn't hear anything like that.

I love double bass - but it doesn't hit you in the chest - it's a subtle instrument, and has no "slam" or "hit you in the chest" capability compared to say percussion instruments.

 

7 hours ago, ufo said:

create heart thumbing bass coming out of SUB2, that's is musical bass nothing like typical booooomy crap you get from lesser subies.

chest "thumping" bass is above sub territory - typically 60-150Hz - your mains usually manage this frequency range.

Subs don't provide bass "slam", they just add the "weight" below.

 

7 hours ago, LogicprObe said:

Most rock recordings will have anything you can't hear shelved out.

IME plenty of "rock recordings" have plenty of low bass - but it does depend on the recording...

 

...but also IME amplified live gigs shelve the low bass around 40Hz - to protect the gear - low frequencies and high SPL ask too much of drivers/amps, and shelving at 40Hz is a "reasonable" compromise.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somethings in HiFI make a stupendous difference.... other things, not so much.

 

The correlation between what makes a difference..... and what people/magazines tell you, or what's expensive.....  is often very very weak.

 

Get reasonable speakers, set your system/listening room up well .... enjoy.

Edited by davewantsmoore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah . . the dreaded downsizing.  Have spent the last three years planning for the downsize and moving from hulking Tannoy's and lots of valves through various iterations of 'smaller' speakers and components - but always missed the bass authority of the Tannoy's, even with compact subie's (but really wanted to avoid these if possible).  Then I accidentally listened to the Kii Three (actives) at the hi-fi show.  The sound blew me away.  Compact, 20Hz bass, highly adaptable to difficult rooms.  If you haven't taken a look at reviews or had a listen then might be worth a quick look. 

 

Not something I ever imagined before I saw / heard them, and not for everyone, but a complete game changer for me.  Most components now gone and wife and I very happy.

 

Gibbo

Edited by gibbo9000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my limited experience when it comes to having chest thumping bass versus ok bass from my system most of the difference was in the amplifier.

 

Our VA Concert Grand speakers were always bass shy with any number of amps, in fact well over two dozen at least both tube or ss, that I tried with the VA’s.

That was until I bolted the MF 550k Superchargers In to our system then all of a sudden not only do we get chest thumping bass but the leather chairs actually tingle and vibrate when the big bass heavy sections are played

This massive chest thumping bass increase was also replicated when the locally made Heschl 350w Integrated was installed. 

 

I have several mates who have top end very expensive subs in their impressive systems that they love and.now when they hear my system they reckon it doesn’t need big dollar subs added as the bass it now has is excellent. So big powered amps in my system took it from being bass shy to bass bliss.

 

cheers 

Terry

Edited by TerryO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...