Sign in to follow this  
Bronal

Food for thought?

Guest Muon N'

Yeah, read that last night.

Streaming of music and movies IMO has it's potential drawbacks.

Edited by Muon N'

I saw that link on my phone this morning, Bronal.  It makes some very good points.  In the days before Netflix and movie/TV show streaming we built up a small (125-150) collection of movie/tv DVDs.  We've still got them although they've now been ripped to disc so we can take them with us on the road.  If I was to rely on today's Aussie streaming services to watch the same content, I'd be all but totally out of luck.  In stark contrast to music streaming, the selection available to video streamers is appalling.  Aussie Netflix is particularly bad with next to no content at all that wasn't made in the last 10-15 years.

We used the postal service of Quickflix for years.  We're seriously thinking of going back to them and ditching movie streaming altogether since the (older) movies we like simply aren't available from any of the online providers.

Edited by brumby

I had this exact conversation with a friend the other day.  I signed with Netflix about a year ago.  I had heard from subscribers and articles that "it's fantastic - they have any movie you would want to watch".  The first thing I did when I got it was to search for every movie I had been waiting to see for decades to see but hadn't - from movies from the last decade or two, going back to historical movies from the 20/30/40/50/60/70's.  And guess what?  Not one of these movies has been available from Netflix! (so much for "any movie you would want to see").  And there are recent release movies which I look forward to seeing, only to find that it's not available on Netflix, as it's on Stan/AppleTV/AmazonPrime/Disney/or any of the other streaming services which are now working in competition.  Gone are the days when we had access (via the DVD/video) store to the wide range of movies (limited by the size of the store).  We now have limited releases, and access is determined by streaming subscription choice. 

My friend had not subscribed to Netflix yet, and was somewhat encouraged by some of the good quality original programming I recommended on it to consider a subscription.  But he was also feeling that buying the movie/TV series on DVD (at the cheap prices they become after a few years) is also a good strategy to continue. 

Whatever occurs in the future, I think it's certain I'm going to be frustrated by over-promises by marketers and not being able to see some of the content I would like to see.