Sign in to follow this  
Primare Knob

Dealing with this SPL dip

Hi,

I am searching for possibilities to fix this 55Hz dip and yesterday I found that by placing the mic at 145cm from the floor at the Listen Position does the job.

This dip doesn't seem to be a room node (related to height (70Hz) so what are my options, beside sitting sitting on a bar stool?

I am in the process of building and adding 2 subs to my setup, but since it doesn't look like a room node I don't think that placing two extra subs near the ceiling will be the cure.

Hight variance SPL.jpg

Can you move your listening position further back?

Can you hear a difference with the bar stool?

6 minutes ago, AudioGeek said:

Can you move your listening position further back?

Can you hear a difference with the bar stool?

A: Not really, and that doesn't help either

B: I don't have a bar stool, but it is a 4dB increase which is pretty good in a frequency range that covers a lot of instruments.

2 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

This dip doesn't seem to be a room node (related to height (70Hz) so what are my options, beside sitting sitting on a bar stool?

I am in the process of building and adding 2 subs to my setup, but since it doesn't look like a room node I don't think that placing two extra subs near the ceiling will be the cure.

It could be a back-wave cancellation from the rear wall so try your second sub from behind you.

How many measurements did you make to obtain that curve? For LF FR you need an average of 6 to 10 measurements around the listening position. Don't chase dB fractions in your room response - it is not worth it. 

could be SBIR - floor bounce or ceiling bounce

Does it change in freq or magnitude when you change the speaker height?

Mike

Edited by almikel
typo

2 hours ago, Satanica said:

It could be a back-wave cancellation from the rear wall so try your second sub from behind you.

I am not sure how changing the height of the LP is related to the back wall? Any movement of the LP towards the back doesn't help with this dip.

2 hours ago, Decky said:

How many measurements did you make to obtain that curve? For LF FR you need an average of 6 to 10 measurements around the listening position. Don't chase dB fractions in your room response - it is not worth it. 

I have made many measurements across multiple seats. My seat to seat variance is pretty good. Changing the LP (mic) from 90cm high to 145cm high is the first measurement that actually helps.

19 minutes ago, almikel said:

could be SBIR - floor bounce or ceiling bounce

Does it change when you change in freq or magnitude when you change the speaker height?

Mike

I was leaning towards SBIR as well. I have done the reverse subwoofer crawl, but only measured up the half way height of the room (125cm) at the current Subwoofers positions, and not beyond that, which didn't show any significant chance. Neither did the testing yesterday where I have to pass the half way height of the room before effect takes place.

5 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

but since it doesn't look like a room node I don't think that placing two extra subs near the ceiling will be the cure.

additional subs will impact SBIR as much as room modes...but you have 2 subs already based on your post above?...apologies I don't remember what your setup is...

have you tried non symmetrical placement of subs, and lifting one sub?

If you have individual delay and EQ control of each sub, have you tried free tools like Multi Sub Optimiser (MSO)?

MSO is specifically designed to achieve the smoothest bass from multiple subs across multiple listening positions.

cheers

mike