Upgrade bug Yamaha GT2000....

I'm a current owner of a Yamaha GT750 turntable fitted with an at33ptg/ii which I've been extremely happy with. Im in a position where I can potentially sell this deck and upgrade to the highly regarded GT 2000. My only concern is whether this would this be a significant upgrade from what I'm coming from. I know in construction there is definitely a massive step up going to the 2000 as it weighs significantly more with its more robust motor and heavier platter and plinth but the tonearm between the two is identical and wow and flutter specs are extremely similar. Anyone had experience comparing these two turntables in terms of sonics? My system is pretty respectable but not high end in the grand scheme of things. KEF LS50 Rega elicit r amplifier with an SVS SB2000 sub so maybe I'm better off putting the money towards something else instead of upgrading. I'm just curious what I may potentially be missing out on as the GT 2000 seems to get all the hype and attention but the 750 seems to get talked down on sites like audiokarma etc. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Louis,

I can't help you with the GT750 because I went straight for the GT2000. It is a great TT.

As you know it is HUGE so you need a bit of space.

As far as sound quality goes it may not be a huge improvement over the 750 but think about the simple pleasure of owning it, particularly if the changeover cost isn't too great.

55 minutes ago, a.dent said:

Hi Louis,

I can't help you with the GT750 because I went straight for the GT2000. It is a great TT.

As you know it is HUGE so you need a bit of space.

As far as sound quality goes it may not be a huge improvement over the 750 but think about the simple pleasure of owning it, particularly if the changeover cost isn't too great.

I've got the space. The external dimensions between the 750 and the 2000 are the same. The 2000 would be a truly endgame turntable for me. I knew that since buying the 750 I'd be questioning whether or not to upgrade from it. At the time the price jump to the 2000 was too huge. I'll be out of pocket a decent amount now but at least the turntable will be the last thing I'd be worrying about in my system.

Guest Muon N'

From reading comparisons on the net, it seems everything will be just slightly better with the GT2000 in comparison.

These are the differences in the GT750 compared to the GT2000 from someone comparing them on AK.

1) Not offer alternative power supply
2) Reduce mass of platter from 5.8kg to 3kg
3) Reduce motor size as platter mass reduced
4) Provide smaller hollow plinth in lieu of solid MDF plinth
5) Provide a slightly cheaper counterweight

Can read it here.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-gt-750-vs-yamaha-gt-2000.744636/page-3

Love these big beefy players. I was a rega man until I had my head turned by my new luxman.

I really do get the vintage bug, and Yamaha vintage particularly so.

the new gt5000 has some very debatable geometry, but no such issue on the 2000.

I upgraded from a GT750 to a GT2000, the 750 is still in use by another forum member. For me there is a significant difference , the 2000 really is an end game TT for me, the sound is just so right. To my ear the 750 was a good TT, after getting the 2000 I ended up selling my Linn set up and not once in the last 7 years have I considered upgrading 

I use a  Ortofon Jubilee also now have the external power supply ( a clone )

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, Chill3 said:

I upgraded from a GT750 to a GT2000, the 750 is still in use by another forum member. For me there is a significant difference , the 2000 really is an end game TT for me, the sound is just so right. To my ear the 750 was a good TT, after getting the 2000 I ended up selling my Linn set up and not once in the last 7 years have I considered upgrading 

I use a  Ortofon Jubilee also now have the external power supply ( a clone )

Hmm....interesting, the GT2000 maybe very well show a greater improvement when they are compared with better carts :thumb:

This is what I personally would have expected.

Seems the guy on AK may have only found a smaller difference due to the lesser cart he use in the comparison.

• Volunteer
7 hours ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

I've got the space. The external dimensions between the 750 and the 2000 are the same. The 2000 would be a truly endgame turntable for me. I knew that since buying the 750 I'd be questioning whether or not to upgrade from it. At the time the price jump to the 2000 was too huge. I'll be out of pocket a decent amount now but at least the turntable will be the last thing I'd be worrying about in my system.

If you decide not to upgrade, you could always point the seller in my direction. 
just saying......

Well I decided to go through with it and pull the trigger. Will do an in depth comparison between the GT750 and the GT2000 in my system and discuss the results of it on here. I will most likely part ways with the 750 but i'm curious to see how close this deck gets to the GT2000. Guess I'm done with the analog side of things for now. My wallet also hurts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

Well I decided to go through with it and pull the trigger. Will do an in depth comparison between the GT750 and the GT2000 in my system and discuss the results of it on here. I will most likely part ways with the 750 but i'm curious to see how close this deck gets to the GT2000. Guess I'm done with the analog side of things for now. My wallet also hurts.

Look forward to reading this comparison,  particularly with that AT33ptg cartridge.

12 hours ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

Nothing beats side by side comparison in your own listening room.....

DBT....?...:)

On 24 December 2019 at 1:40 PM, Muon N' said:

From reading comparisons on the net, it seems everything will be just slightly better with the GT2000 in comparison.

These are the differences in the GT750 compared to the GT2000 from someone comparing them on AK.

1) Not offer alternative power supply
2) Reduce mass of platter from 5.8kg to 3kg
3) Reduce motor size as platter mass reduced
4) Provide smaller hollow plinth in lieu of solid MDF plinth
5) Provide a slightly cheaper counterweight

Can read it here.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/yamaha-gt-750-vs-yamaha-gt-2000.744636/page-3

As an owner of the PF-800, I find the comment that GT-750  blows PF-800 out of the water interesting. In my mind the PF-800 and the legendary LP12 are quite similar in terms of SQ (I own both. Please see the  thread I created). I might want to give the GT-750 a try. The PF-800 is a great TT, over-engineered IMO. Weighs more than the 80s LP12.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, davidSun said:

As an owner of the PF-800, I find the comment that GT-750  blows PF-800 out of the water interesting. In my mind the PF-800 and the legendary LP12 are quite similar in terms of SQ (I own both. Please see the  thread I created). I might want to give the GT-750 a try. The PF-800 is a great TT, over-engineered IMO. Weighs more than the 80s LP12.

The GT750 is slept on imo. A lot of people seem to push it to the wayside in light of the 2000. It's a great deck considering it costs around half as much as a 2000. I compared it to a project 2xperience SB I had aswell as a marantz tt15 and a rega rp3. (Some good modern contemporary turntables needless to say it was superior but it really blew the rp3 in particular out of the water.) I also put it up against the dp60l in my profile pic. The dp60l was the one that came closest to it out of all the decks I owned and could have gone either way between the two the 60l being better suited to high compliance carts. That TT with the dl301 I had on it was fantastic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TheWretchedWorld said:

Just got back from my Sydney/Canberra trip. Finally got around to unpacking the big beast. Went to hell and back trying to get back to Melbourne with the poor visability and getting smoked out of my Canberra Airbnb. Keen to spin some LPs.

received_507263763328668.jpeg

Keen to hear what you think Louis, watching with interest ?

Did you drive to Sydney just to get the TT?

1 hour ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

@TheWretchedWorld

Any thoughts yet Louis?

I've been using it extensively the last week am extremely happy with it. You can see why these are so popular in Japan. I think its a end game turntable for many people because even if someone is itching for more there is an upgrade path aside from selling the turntable and moving onto something different which can't be said for most vintage direct drive turntables. PSU upgrades, platter upgrades and base upgrades etc can all be had. That being said I have 0 itch through this route because the turntable is great as it stands on my system. 

As for the sound for me its kind of hard to explain. Unlike my previous setups where I found myself constantly looking for something or experimenting with cartridges I think I'm done until the stylus wears out with this setup. It just gets out of the way of the music completely and just presents it on a blank page. A weird experience I had was while I was listening to Daft Punks alive LP on it (a live album which IMO is very well mastered) one thing I noticed which I never seemed to never notice before was the verticality of sound stage when it came to the crowd cheering. Keep in mind I am very familiar with this LP. It immediately made me look up  as if the sound was coming from the ceiling. Now it might sound like i'm talking out of my ass but this is something I never really noticed on any other turntables in this exact system (and believe me there have been many). I'm sure its there if I gave it to a listen on the other turntables i've owned in the past and paid particular attention looking for it but I think little nuances like these aren't brought to the forefront as much on lesser turntables and this is what sets high end gear apart. Its subtle but nuances and details like this are made more apparent. As for comparison to its little brother the GT 750, it gets pretty close to it but I need to do more A/Bing to draw a more thorough conclusion.  Construction however is a different story even though they look similar the GT2000 is in another league entirely and has an upgrade path where as the 750 doesn't. That being said the price you can get a 750 for and the fact that its performance is nearly there shows that it is quite a bargain in relative terms. But as I said earlier I need to do more A/Bing.

I think the 2000 is an endgame turntable for nearly everyone and it certainly is for me (famous last words). 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Ahh- Schnoo Schnoo said:

@TheWretchedWorld

Thanks for the reply Louis, glad you're happy.

Which cart are you using?

At33ptg/ii with AT-630 step up transformer. I also ran the AT95e on both was surprised by the results, I think we are used to hearing these on bad/average tonearms. Its actually quite a good cartridge bargain basement price aside. I actually prefer its sound to the at440mlb I used to have even though its an inferior tracker. 

• Like 1