musicbee

JBL Series 6 - 698

Having owned the Studio 590s a comparison would be interesting.The 590s were really excellent and one of the few mainstream speakers that were genuinely valve amp friendly.They over- loaded my medium sized room which is the only reason I sold them.Rear mounted ports do not help.

I sold mine to a fellow member who had nice big room and they sounded fantastic in there.I suspect the 698 and 690 might also need a big room to sound their best.

The tragedy with these speakers is that most will be sold and used with mid priced receivers whereas they are deserving of much better sources and amplifiers.They are only so affordable because Harman can mass produce them.The research and design expertise that goes into them is probably not much less than those of Harman's expensive flagship JBL and Revel speakers.Maybe even more effort is put in to get them right because most of the turnover comes from selling speakers in this sort of price range.

Edited by THOMO

They look really good. Some of the budget JBL’s have been an acquired taste looks wise IMO. Will be a bit of a bargain if the sound is as good as the looks.

Couldn't help noticing that these JBL 698 / 690's look similar to the layout of Klipsch floorstanders I've seen - similar waveguide size plus 2/3 woofers below.

So the question arises - in what way (if any) do the Harman versions (JBL) differ from the Klipsch versions of this genre, if you pick models more or less in the same price range?  And, is there a "house sound" in play at all?

It's an invitation to expressing bias and/or subjective impressions, but please I'd like to hear them since I've never owner either brand and forum impressions are less conflicted than magazine editorials.

Comparing the 698 to the equivalent Klipsch model at the RRP I can see a few differences. The 698 is a 3-way but the biggest difference is the JBL speaker uses a compression driver. Spec's wise they are fairly similar. I would imagine the waveguides would be somewhat different in their dispersion.

I disregard the Klipsch's sensitivity as they are a load crock. Take 6-8db off whatever they claim and you have the real figure.

Guest jakeyb77

They look nice. 
I want to know what they weigh! 😝

With the prices so similar I don’t see the need for the smaller one... 

Cabinet and waveguide looks very similar to upcomming new HDi series. Driver configuation is different  Hdi3800  is around US$ 5000 so you expect much better drivers, more sophisticed x over , better finish etc with them.

Cheers

Mike

3 hours ago, Ando said:

Cabinet and waveguide looks very similar to upcomming new HDi series. Driver configuation is different  Hdi3800  is around US$ 5000 so you expect much better drivers, more sophisticed x over , better finish etc with them.

Cheers

Mike

The HDi 3800 does look lovely. A lot more coin though. 

Can’t help but notice on the Convoy Int. website they list only 4 dealers in and around Melbourne in all of Australia selling the studio 6 series speakers, watch the sales flop....

I am curious though about the differences between the 530 and 630 bookshelf units.

Just an update to this thread, I called Convoy about the 630 for $1200, the web page is still under construction and the 630 speakers are priced incorrectly, they should be about $1500-1600 a pair.

I also found out they will be bringing in these!!! (Link below)

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/bookshelf-loudspeakers/HDI-1600.html?dwvar_HDI-1600_color=Walnut-USA-Current

I’m scared to ask the price, but looking at the specs it seems (from memory) they are similar to the Krix ESOTERIX ALTUM.

Should be interesting!

To summarise, the studio series are from their lifestyle division and the HDI are Synthesis (they’re the ones with big kahuna’s) who do the Hi-end  work.

Posted (edited)

I got the Studio 698 delivered last week and running them in now, i will be comparing this to the klipcsh RF-7 III in the next few days and see

IMG_20200228_080616.jpg

IMG_20200228_080626.jpg

IMG_20200228_210118.jpg

IMG_20200228_210742.jpg

IMG_20200228_215622.jpg

IMG_20200228_220046.jpg

IMG_20200228_230847.jpg

IMG_20200228_231015.jpg

Edited by KTV

Hello,

What are your thoughts about the JBL 698?

On 11/06/2020 at 12:13 PM, Edson said:

Hello,

What are your thoughts about the JBL 698?

Hi Ed, 

It's a great speaker for the price. Nothing come close to this for the same $$$

On 11/03/2020 at 7:52 PM, KTV said:

I got the Studio 698 delivered last week and running them in now, i will be comparing this to the klipcsh RF-7 III in the next few days and see

IMG_20200228_080616.jpg

IMG_20200228_080626.jpg

IMG_20200228_210118.jpg

IMG_20200228_210742.jpg

IMG_20200228_215622.jpg

IMG_20200228_220046.jpg

IMG_20200228_230847.jpg

IMG_20200228_231015.jpg

How did they rate compared to the Klipsch? 

23 hours ago, boggsy said:

How did they rate compared to the Klipsch? 

The klipsch is just abit better overall but the price is more than double of the JBL. 

So where do the Stage series place within these various ranges? There seems to be a large number of choices with JBL along with their studio monitor range?

oh cool. Be good to hear the klipsch beside the new hdi 3800 from jbl. Not too many reviews yet on those but they are more around the price of the klipsch