Sign in to follow this  
Addicted to music

Air Fryers

The boss has been hassling me to get a air fryer....  a friend of ours bought one of flee bay for under $100 delivered and did some things you couldn’t do with a fan force oven.... the boss was impressed.....  these thing are not cheap and can be had for $600!   

So for Xmas I got her one of these:

https://www.harrisscarfe.com.au/Categories/Electrical/Kitchen-Appliances/Air-Fryers -Grills-%26-Electric-Frypans/SMITH-%26-NOBEL-12L-Digital-Air-Fryer-Black /BP_599620

It comes bonus with and electric knife and square wired basket for rotisserie and for $140  you can’t lose.

Theres small ones and large ones but this is 12L on the large side becuase I want to see what I could cook inside and the time it takes...  we have a 90cm fan forced conventional oven that takes ages to warm up and then it takes a lot longer than what the time specified so really inefficient.....

We bought one of these small conventional fan forced ovens that’s cheap and cooks much faster as you don’t need to heat such a huge volume of air before it  starts cooking at the reached temp....

Anyway, the boss couldn’t wait so we used it yesterday,  I have to say I’m really impressed,  we cooked some char shu, around 800gm,  the instructions saids 200C for 22mins......  Now that’s 1/2 the time than a  small conventional oven!  And BTW I couldn’t tell the difference, it looks and tasted the same regardless with the bonus of even faster cooking time.    Not only that, but the racking and basket just wiped cleaned when submerged in water after it’s cooled  no scrubbing required, so easy to clean.....yep colour me impressed....   Going to try other things such as steak and lamb, fish and veggies......  the benefit with this is no need to oil up! !   So a real healthy option....

Anyone here has one and are using it as a health option?  What are you cooking with it?

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

Anyone here has one and are using it as a health option?  What are you cooking with it?

Been using its close cousin for ages ; the infra red type which circulates the air like a air fryer but also hits the outside with infra red to seal in the juices . You cant beat it for a medium rare steak in no time ;even from frozen :thumb:

And you lose all the fat dripping away of baked short ribs ; just pour on some Sweet baby rays ; fall of the bone in no time🥩 

Things like crumbed onion rings ; chips and pepper coated calamari  come up a treat in any type of air oven

https://reviewcart.us/best-infrared-ovens/

The air fryers specifically are very good for healthy snacks like dehydrated banana ;apple etc though ; I imagine it would do very good beef jerky without the ripoff supermarket price . Anything like baking cakes the air fryer is in its element I would imagine as well

Edited by cwt

@cwt

are you talking about the halogen lamp?  Some have the normal coil, the one I bought has a lamp.

Good to know about frozen steak,  might try it!

6 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@cwt

are you talking about the halogen lamp?  Some have the normal coil, the one I bought has a lamp.

Good to know about frozen steak,  might try it!

Aah ; only going on the one they are advertising on tele atm with the trays ;they only talk about the convection from the fan not any specific heat source  . If yours has an infrared lamp  it sounds perfect ; mine is due for a replacement and I want something smaller that fits  on the counter with my multi cooker ; it does deep frying ;slow cooking and pressure cooking [ saves time as well]:)

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

The boss has been hassling me to get a air fryer....  a friend of ours bought one of flee bay for under $100 delivered and did some things you couldn’t do with a fan force oven.... the boss was impressed.....  these thing are not cheap and can be had for $600!   

So for Xmas I got her one of these:

https://www.harrisscarfe.com.au/Categories/Electrical/Kitchen-Appliances/Air-Fryers -Grills-%26-Electric-Frypans/SMITH-%26-NOBEL-12L-Digital-Air-Fryer-Black /BP_599620

It comes bonus with and electric knife and square wired basket for rotisserie and for $140  you can’t lose.

Theres small ones and large ones but this is 12L on the large side becuase I want to see what I could cook inside and the time it takes...  we have a 90cm fan forced conventional oven that takes ages to warm up and then it takes a lot longer than what the time specified so really inefficient.....

We bought one of these small conventional fan forced ovens that’s cheap and cooks much faster as you don’t need to heat such a huge volume of air before it  starts cooking at the reached temp....

Anyway, the boss couldn’t wait so we used it yesterday,  I have to say I’m really impressed,  we cooked some char shu, around 800gm,  the instructions saids 200C for 22mins......  Now that’s 1/2 the time than a  small conventional oven!  And BTW I couldn’t tell the difference, it looks and tasted the same regardless with the bonus of even faster cooking time.    Not only that, but the racking and basket just wiped cleaned when submerged in water after it’s cooled  no scrubbing required, so easy to clean.....yep colour me impressed....   Going to try other things such as steak and lamb, fish and veggies......  the benefit with this is no need to oil up! !   So a real healthy option....

Can you bi-amp it?

Bet it goes really well with a decent power cable.

Never used one but reckon these would be a excellent crackling making machine! Any plans on making Siu Yuk?

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Never used one but reckon these would be a excellent crackling making machine! Any plans on making Siu Yuk?

I am really bless, the boss buys frozen duck when it’s on special at time 1/2 price, she buys what the freezer can hold and then let one defrost and marinated it with a mixture that’s better than the ones you buy from the shops..... then it sits in the fridge for a few days....mmmm yum, nothing beats it when it’s just out of the oven.....

Hence the reason why she’s “The boss”. :D

Edited by Addicted to music

Roast duck is a family fave but we usually just buy from Box Hill already done as the few times ive tried making was disappointing as all of the ducks i've bought have been anorexic with nothing but bone (even from the Chinese butchers)!

1 minute ago, Tubularbells said:

Roast duck is a family fave but we usually just buy from Box Hill already done as the few times ive tried making was disappointing as all of the ducks i've bought have been anorexic with nothing but bone (even from the Chinese butchers)!

Couple of shops in Box Hill are the best in Melb

Hills is the one we usually go to. Been going there since the early 90's whilst studying electronics at Box Hill TAFE. Anyway apologies for the thread derailment and look forward to seeing some pics of what this unit can do 👍

On 24/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, Tubularbells said:

Hills is the one we usually go to. Been going there since the early 90's whilst studying electronics at Box Hill TAFE. Anyway apologies for the thread derailment and look forward to seeing some pics of what this unit can do 👍

@Tubularbells

some me sweet potato chips that was oiled up 1st 

And some chicken thigh that the boss marinated and left for a few day... 

the thigh was done on 200C initially until I saw burnt edges at around 8 mins....  turned them over and finished it at 180 25mins....  I want longer I was afraid it’ll burn more edges and go dry,   The sweet potato was also 200C  25mins

E33526DE-4022-443B-906B-8B4FD30B0D50.jpeg

58B83E49-C78B-4271-9A34-93920E413008.jpeg

Pork crackily 

230C 35mins   Turned over at 17 and then 28 mins 

7BEA8F10-B6ED-490F-B87D-169F9DDAF85E.jpeg