Ethernet switches for audio - Part B: why a regular switch will suffice.

This has been restored from the Great Debate sub forum and its close monitoring by moderators. It was put there due to an incident some time ago, but we've been well behaved since then.

Please be civil - so this doesn't go back to the Great Debate, or shut down.

And so we dont discourage helpful contributions.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Firstly, a preamble.  My system is definitely serious.  It is now significantly reliant on Ethernet for connectivity for the 2 X NASs, Roon Core, DSP Box and a network player before anything reaches t

I’m just baffled at how many people really don’t get that a switch is typically sending audio to a device with a significant buffer for playback. The traffic traversing the switch is not “real time” a

I don't think they have the right knowledge in what they are trying to apply to because anybody who knows how network and switching works will know that no matter how fancy the ethernet cable is, it w

Some info of interest here - multiple Cisco switches in series.  Page 8 ...

Edited by dbastin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I stumbled across this youtube video this morning.  

While it's designed for Ravenna / AES67, the building blocks of functionality that it suggests are precisely what any suitably qualified networking engineer would tell you (and I did earlier in this thread). Network segmentation, traffic marking and prioritisation and then policing if you need to send traffic over a network boundary.

In short, a cheap Cisco switch like the SG350 (a 10 port managed gigabit desktop switch for $380 at Scorptech) has all the functionality you need.

The video here is for a distributed switch setup, which I'd wager most of you won't have in your home, so you can lose the need for multicast and PTP in your home streaming environment.  

It's got some decent explanations on the various concepts too so if you're new to networking, it's not a bad primer.  If anyone wants to understand any of this more clearly, please reach out. I'd be happy to explain and give guidance as to how far you may need to go in a home environment to optimise it.

• Like 2