dbastin

Ethernet switches for audio - Part A: List of switches, related info & experiences

5 minutes ago, Assisi said:

It may be interesting for them if they tried an audio network switch and or quality cables.  Until you try no one will never know.

Tried it, did not hear a difference.

I have an EtherRegen on order, due for shipping in late Feb.  Let me know if you have any Sundays free in March @Assisi and we can compare the PP and Uptone switches.  

12 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

I have an EtherRegen on order, due for shipping in late Feb.  Let me know if you have any Sundays free in March @Assisi and we can compare the PP and Uptone switches.  

You had mentioned that you had the EtherRegen on order and the expected delivery.  Besides comparing I would be interested in running them together especially using optical from the EtherRegen to a converter and then Ethernet to the PP.  Complicated maybe but who knows what the result maybe.  My intuition tells me a a synergistic step up. 

At the moment I do have converter optical to converter to the Weiss 502 DSP in the web of cables that I have.  I will try it to the Weiss network player.

Maybe March should be a GTG?  Others may be interested in coming.

My experience with Ethernet switch, I have a humble Netgear GS108(the latest version), I replaced the standard power supply with IFI IPOWER LOW NOISE POWER SUPPLY. A very noticeable improvement and for $79 well worth the investment. Perhaps something to try with your existing setups 

Neo

6 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Tried it, did not hear a difference.

@Ittaku,

The important question is what did you try.  A Switch and or cables and if so which?  The switch  for me was the biggest change in my system.  I have had few changes over time.

You have a very serious system especially in terms of the quality of the components.  Therefore  to me it seems reasonable to expect that you should be able to discern even small differences in the system with changes.  If you do not why not?  If it was me I would be curious to at least consider the conundrum rather just be dismissive.

John

31 minutes ago, Assisi said:

You had mentioned that you had the EtherRegen on order and the expected delivery.  Besides comparing I would be interested in running them together especially using optical from the EtherRegen to a converter and then Ethernet to the PP.  Complicated maybe but who knows what the result maybe.  My intuition tells me a a synergistic step up. 

At the moment I do have converter optical to converter to the Weiss 502 DSP in the web of cables that I have.  I will try it to the Weiss network player.

may i attend? pleeeese?

5 minutes ago, Neo said:

My experience with Ethernet switch, I have a humble Netgear GS108(the latest version), I replaced the standard power supply with IFI IPOWER LOW NOISE POWER SUPPLY. A very noticeable improvement and for $79 well worth the investment. Perhaps something to try with your existing setups 

Neo

My switch previous to the Paul Pang was the Netgear GS108. Maybe not the latest.  I had a different power supply to your one above.   The difference between switches is a universe apart.  Unfortunately there is an expense attached to the upgrade.  To me worth very cent.  

John

31 minutes ago, Assisi said:

Im ok with that.  I can only plan tentatively until the EtherRegen has arrived.

36 minutes ago, Assisi said:

I do not use SFP (optical) so do not know it.  However, I read that it is more than plugging in and there are potential compatibility issues.  If you want to test optical, suggest reading up and testing before hand.

36 minutes ago, Assisi said:

I have a well burnt-in EtherREGEN with a Gieseler PSU.  If the itch bites and you cannot wait,  I can offer my unit for a compare.

9 minutes ago, Assisi said:

@Ittaku,

The important question is what did you try.  A Switch and or cables and if so which?  The switch  for me was the biggest change in my system.  I have had few changes over time.

You have a very serious system especially in terms of the quality of the components.  Therefore  to me it seems reasonable to expect that you should be able to discern even small differences in the system with changes.  If you do not why not?  If it was me I would be curious to at least consider the conundrum rather just be dismissive.

We spent a few hours at my place to listen to my Devialet Phantom setup with and without EtherREGEN.  Con could not hear a difference.  And Con does not use Ethernet on his system...

2 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

Im ok with that.  I can only plan tentatively until the EtherRegen has arrived.

I’d recommend a decent burn in on the EtherRegen before displaying its best performance.

33 minutes ago, Assisi said:

If you do not why not?

Likely because there is no difference.

19 minutes ago, awayward said:

I’d recommend a decent burn in on the EtherRegen before displaying its best performance.

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! 😏

3 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! 😏

Ok then I won’t mention using the right ethernet cables, oops I did, just enjoy the journey.

7 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Likely because there is no difference.

That is not the answer to your conundrum.  It is just denial of possibilities.  If that is what floats you boat then that is fine for you.   Not for me though.  For me there is the mystery of the what and the why.

John

2 minutes ago, Assisi said:

That is not the answer to your conundrum.  It is just denial of possibilities.  If that is what floats you boat then that is fine for you.   Not for me though.  For me there is the mystery of the what and the why.

John

Well you keep saying it like we're doing something wrong. That's the only reason I answer. But I have carefully avoided saying what I really think.

8 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

No. No. No... It is completely unacceptable to have to endure two separate questionable audiophile phenomena from the one device! 

The Paul Pang is developing more sophistication over time.  I do not call it burn in rather settling in.

John

8 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

Probably need to ensure cable directionality is correct!:ike: or maybe need to test both ways to be sure...

1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

But I have carefully avoided saying what I really think.

I am sure you have. 

John

4 minutes ago, frednork said:

Probably need to ensure cable directionality is correct!:ike: or maybe need to test both ways to be sure...

The PP comes with a short Ethernet cable that is directional to connect the 8 top ports with the bottom 8.  Source goes in the top and the out into the bottom row.

John

3 minutes ago, Assisi said:

The PP comes with a short Ethernet cable that is directional to connect the 8 top ports with the bottom 8.  Source goes in the top and the out into the bottom row.

John

Am 100% sure all your cables will be optimised for the big comparo!!

Would cable lifters have any influence on the Ethernet cables?

edit: Or maybe cryogenically treated cables?

Edited by bob_m_54
afterthought

I'm not a shite stirrer, just being open minded to other possibilities....

Its great to see some of you are going to try/compare some switches.  I wish I didnt live so far away from that action.

In relation to cables ...

5 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:
6 hours ago, Assisi said:

I would be interested in running them together especially using optical 

I do not use SFP (optical) so do not know it.  However, I read that it is more than plugging in and there are potential compatibility issues.  If you want to test optical, suggest reading up and testing before hand.

If anyone tries fibre, share here ...