Ethernet switches - PartA: Switches List, info & Experience

Yes, I've been looking at that.

Cheers

Matt

PS I'm quite surprised how much a diff simply changing over the Ethernet cable feeding into my DAC from my Innous streamer has made!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649599709-audiophile-ethernet-cat8-ethernet-10silver-solid-core-ofhcc-copper-22-gaugetelegartner-81-terminatio/

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Yes, I've been looking at that.

Cheers

Matt

PS I'm quite surprised how much a diff simply changing over the Ethernet cable feeding into my DAC from my Innous streamer has made!

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649599709-audiophile-ethernet-cat8-ethernet-10silver-solid-core-ofhcc-copper-22-gaugetelegartner-81-terminatio/

I have been looking at the Uptone EtherREGEN (ER) forum threads on Audiophile Style, as well as other forums.

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends!' If changing the cable or to optical works for your setup, great!  As long as people get more enjoyment out of the music, that is all that counts.

But please don't chase changes for the sake of it, getting caught up in upgrade fever. FOMO (fear of missing out) SQ gains drives too many to overspend. I'll give you an ER example. The ER by itself gives a big SQ improvement. A PSU a little more and a clock a little more again. People are buying PSUs costing twice as much as the ER. The crazy thing is people are thinking of getting clocks 5x more!!! :shocked: 

The impact of optical and "uber" Ethernet cables is mixed. With unlimited funds, it is easy. For the rest us, we should sit back to remember the value proposition.

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

But please don't chase changes for the sake of it, getting caught up in upgrade fever. FOMO (fear of missing out) SQ gains drives too many to overspend. I'll give you an ER example. The ER by itself gives a big SQ improvement. A PSU a little more and a clock a little more again. People are buying PSUs costing twice as much as the ER. The crazy thing is people are thinking of getting clocks 5x more!!!

The FOMO (fear of missing out) is one way of looking at things.  I tend to operate on the basis of curiosity as to whether there is something better, what is it, do I need it or want it?  Can I afford the upgrade.  I do understand the matter of relative affordability, the ability to fund some purchases and value for money.

I have mentioned earlier that I had purchased a Paul Pang Dual switch.  After having it for a few weeks the impact became the new norm.  Based on my experience with the PPDS I decided to go another step and order a PP Quad Switch.  There had been comment and advice that two switches connected together, than just one on its own, may have a benefit.  My perception was that a Quad would be equivalent to two Duals.

The Quad arrived on Wednesday.  I have had limited time to listen.  There is no question the outcome is a step up with the Quad compared to the Dual in terms of how clean the SQ becomes.  I do have a miniscule question for myself though as to whether there is minor reduction in upper dynamics.  I am not sure as to the answer to my question.  I am not sure whether I could even perceive what is missing if it is missing in my system.

Three other people have had a limited listen to my system over the last few days besides myself to the Quad.  All three definitely liked the obvious clean, the detail.  One though who knows my system well raised the question of the change with dynamics.  He preferred the network with the Netgear 108.  As well as the switches I have recently made other changes to my system.  I have upgraded to a bigger Power Conditioner. I now have SPEC Urushi level Real Sound Processor connected to the speakers.  Impressive benefit.  This afternoon I am trying new speakers.

All the above changes need to settle for some time before I can assess the overall benefits.  Probably too many changes at the same time.  That is how life is sometimes though.

If you seek clean SQ, the PP switches definitely deliver

John   

Edited by Assisi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Looks like you have been especially curious lately @Assisi

The speakers did not pass the PAF (partner approval factor).  So now I have approval to consider other options.  The next step is truly scary.  I will say more if I make the leap.

John 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have previously mentioned that I have Aqvox standard Ethernet switch in my system. The improvement in sound quality over a normal switch, although, not imense, was enough for me not to regret getting the Aqvox. Improved depth of sound comes to mind.

I recently installed a double Paul Pang switch in my system based on good reports. The Paul Pang switch drastically improved detail. Everything sounded cleaner without sounding sterile.

It was suggested to me that I should try connecting my Aqvox switch to the Paul Pang switch. I didn't think doing this would do anything. Was I wrong.

The Aqvox gives the Paul Pang switch that depth in sound without loosing any detail. This was a big surprise to me. The Aqvox is powered by an external linear power supply. Is this now relevant. I do not know.

My conclusion to this is,although normal cheap switches will work, they can be a bottleneck to the sound coming from the server/ streamer.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dbastin said:

Thanks for sharing you're experience.  Try grounding these switches for further benefit.

It makes me wonder when diminishing returns kicks in.

Both switches are grounded. Not sure if this improves things but I sleep better at night.

On 22/04/2020 at 6:26 PM, dbastin said:

Thanks for sharing you're experience.  Try grounding these switches for further benefit.

It makes me wonder when diminishing returns kicks in.

I have a Gigawatt power conditioner.  It is connected to a serious in-ground 3mt solid copper rod.  All components that are powered by the conditioner including the switch are therefore grounded.   I cannot say whether there is a benefit by way of the grounding.  I assume that there is. 

The switch has a ground connection.  I also connected that to the ground.  I did not perceive a difference or benefit maybe as it was already grounded through the conditioner.  Who knows?

There is no end to the matter of diminishing returns.  They are always there maybe albeit smaller and smaller and more and more expensive as one goes up the scale.  They are all increased listening pleasure though.

John

Edited by Assisi

I should have said in my previous post that the Paul Pang Quad switch for me was not a mere matter of diminishing returns.  It was a very significant between the eyes or the ears step in up benefit for me.

John

7 hours ago, BAM said:

but I sleep better at night

That's a shame, when my system is sounding great its hard to even get to bed.

4 hours ago, Assisi said:

Paul Pang Quad switch

Multiple switches in series ... I must resist.  It has crossed my mind to do this  ... Ubiquiti switch > Sonore OpticalModule > fibre > EtherRegen > ethernet cable > JCAT NET Card ( ie. installed into my Antipodes Edge) > Direct out (via Net Card bridge) > ethernet cable > endpoint (Devialet).  That's kinda 3 switches in series - ie. 3 'audiophile' devices focussed on noise reduction via good isolation, clocking and low noise parts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dbastin said:

That's a shame, when my system is sounding great its hard to even get to bed.

Multiple switches in series ... I must resist.  It has crossed my mind to do this  ... Ubiquiti switch > Sonore OpticalModule > fibre > EtherRegen > ethernet cable > JCAT NET Card ( ie. installed into my Antipodes Edge) > Direct out (via Net Card bridge) > ethernet cable > endpoint (Devialet).  That's kinda 3 switches in series - ie. 3 'audiophile' devices focussed on noise reduction via good isolation, clocking and low noise parts.

Based on my observation the Paul Pang switch does something different compared to the Aqvox. Do more switches of different design provide improvement ,only experiment will determine if this is the case

Will be interesting to hear on any results.

Will the more expensive switches do more?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a summary of the list in case you missed some new entries (latest is bold?

Silent Angel BONN 8  AU$495

Fidelizer Etherstream AU$570

Nuprime SW8 AU$720

English Electric 8Switch AU$850

Uptone Audio EtherREGEN AU$930

Aqvox  AU $640 - $1300

Paul Pang
- Single switch  AU$450
- Dual switch  AU$1950

- Quad Switch AU$3100

AfterDark  AU$645-1050

The Linear Solution
- Switch OCXO AU$855
- Switch v2.0 AU$1100
- Reference switch AU$2200
- Router OCXO AU$1750

SOtM  snh 10g  AU$1200 - $2900

Waversa Systems

- Smarthub AU$2400

- Wrouter  AU$7300

DELA S100  AU$2500-3100

Melco S100  AU$3500

Telegärtner M12 (via JCAT)

- Magic   €2550/AU$4100
- Gold  €4165/AU$6700

Special Class:

Ansuz Acoustics Powerswitches

X-TC, A2, D2, D-TC Supreme

€2000-12000

Edited by dbastin
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Been thinking of getting the optical module or the etherregen. What do you think is a better bang for buck?

Sotm switches are out of the question for me as one needs to sell a kidney to be able to buy one of those.

My current configuration is sonictransporter via tplink switch to sms200 powered by lps1.2 to offramp 4 spdif converter then to a lampizator dac 4.

Edited by lyndonlim

8 hours ago, lyndonlim said:

Been thinking of getting the optical module or the etherregen. What do you think is a better bang for buck?

Sotm switches are out of the question for me as one needs to sell a kidney to be able to buy one of those.

My current configuration is sonictransporter via tplink switch to sms200 powered by lps1.2 to offramp 4 spdif converter then to a lampizator dac 4.

I have the EtherRegen, powered by a Gieseler LPSU,  and it took my system to the next level. The background was darker which allowed more detail to come through.  All smearing was removed with a clarity that was unsurpassed. 

Here are some Lampizator DAC owners who use the ER.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-1004380

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-1005557

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-1032467

Also, some SonicTransporter owners feeding different DACs

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1011396

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-1013665

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/19/?tab=comments#comment-1013831

** Also, you can get it from AfterDark in Hong Kong

https://www.adark.co/collections/uptone-audio/products/uptone-etherregen-switch

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Also, you can get it from AfterDark in Hong Kong

Just a heads up, mine took forever to come from Afterdark.  The stock came from Japan, via Hong Kong, then Singapore, then Sydney, then Perth ... with extra delays at each stop thanks to Covid = 6 weeks total.

14 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Just a heads up, mine took forever to come from Afterdark.  The stock came from Japan, via Hong Kong, then Singapore, then Sydney, then Perth ... with extra delays at each stop thanks to Covid = 6 weeks total.

Wow.. may as well wait until Uptone has restocked. 

37 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Oh dear! Mine, pre COVID, arrived in 3 days.

Thanks to snoop i just placed an order in today. I am major sucker for fixing jitter, electromagnetic inteference at the source mainly because i have personally experienced the benefits. Its the final hifi frontier.

I got to hear the Etherregen in my system as Snoopy8 lives just around the corner from me. Very grateful. Bottom line unfortunately is i could hear the difference the ER brought to my system. I must admit when the ER was running with just stock power supply i thought okay no big deal... I am getting about 5% better sonic resolution. The ER only seem to have a more significant impact with the gieseler linear power supply powering so i would say a good lps is mandatory. The most substantial benefit for me is the ability to play music at a much much lower volume as the dynamics and subtle cues still come through. I would agree with what most people have shared about hearing the extra notes linger and music decay, quieter and blacker.. music seem to emerge from a blacker background. At the end of the day, you'll will more sucked into your music because its not just the resolution the ER will bring to the table... its all the subtle cues that you never knew existed in your fav recording. This addition will hurt your wallet though... the ER is $1,000 landed and a good lps will set you back $500. I really don't believe using the switching power supply will do the ER proper justice. 

IMG_20200522_220057.jpg

IMG_20200523_002000.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, dbastin said:

Oh, you should really put some fans on that big heatsink, the ones with blue lights, if not for SQ, at least bling!  ?

That's Snoopy's piece of art. It does work to cool the ER but i would buy it just for its aesthetics alone. 

I've got my kanto yu6s plug into my lampizator and ER... man they are singing even at low volume. Before the ER powered by lps, i had to turn the volume on the kanto up quite a bit before music became 'alive:. 

Edited by lyndonlim