Downsizing

Hi,

I'm just about to downsize from my Emotiva component hifi system (17mths old - you'll see it for sale on here soon) to a micro system - Yamaha MCR-N670 mini-system with great reluctance.  Does anyone know about these systems? I've heard they're very good systems for $1000. Anyone got any feedback?

Ben

• Like 1

You won't be happy with a mini-system. Their little speakers will be the bottleneck. For the same price, get some good-quality small monitors, find a way to set them apart from each other (whether on small stand or shelf with a bit of rubber isolation). Then get an all-in-one source+amp - Marantz do a goodie. 

I recently bought some Kef lsx speakers - they're a little more than your budget, but sound great [particularly if u add a sub] - they look fantastic, have all the latest wifi connections and only need power. Feed them a proper stream like Tidal and their price/performance ratio is the best I've heard.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 2:21 PM, BenB19 said:

Hi,

I'm just about to downsize from my Emotiva component hifi system (17mths old - you'll see it for sale on here soon) to a micro system - Yamaha MCR-N670 mini-system with great reluctance.  Does anyone know about these systems? I've heard they're very good systems for $1000. Anyone got any feedback?

Ben

That’s a jump. I’m not keen on the term downsize how about right size. I know of systems where (generally) the speakers are way over sized. The speakers never hit their stride because they are too big and can’t be driven hard enough to get them working as they should. 

Don’t have a problem with high powered amps but right-sizing speakers for your room is essential. Good luck with your right-sizing. 

44 minutes ago, JohnJohn said:

I recently bought some Kef lsx speakers - they're a little more than your budget, but sound great [particularly if u add a sub] - they look fantastic, have all the latest wifi connections and only need power. Feed them a proper stream like Tidal and their price/performance ratio is the best I've heard.

I’m with this guy. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 2:21 PM, BenB19 said:

Hi,

Ben

Is $1000 all you have to spend or just what the Yammy costs? Not that we want to spend all your money (disclaimer: we actually do) but there might be something that’s great value a little higher up the chain

Guest Muon N'

A mini system in this range will not match a full sized system like the OP/s current, but what are we expecting, and what is the OP looking for, the same level of sound reproduction?

Some expectations and wants need to be defined here.

Guest Muon N'

Ben, I would suggest auditioning some mini systems like that Yamaha one and see if it meets your requirements, and look at alternatives suggested here and compare.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm a bit old school using CD player etc and family do all the wifi/streaming. I'm still waiting to list my other system so I don't want to spend too much.

The other one turned up today and its not the same as the other one but it will do for the moment. I might do what was suggested later on once I can sell the Emotiva.