Sign in to follow this  
Rocketfrogs

Celebrating the Double Live Album on vinyl.

Prince's sign of the times movie soundtrack should make good material on vinyl...

And if it's possible to extend the topic to triple live albums...

The Concert for Bangladesh was live another album I wore out as a teenager.

220px-The_Concert_For_Bangla_Desh.jpg

Some of me double live el peez:

20191222_113030-01.thumb.jpeg.45146d7250ff21e2848aa04451bb478e.jpeg

--Geoff 

... and some jazz double el peez, and triples, and a 4 LP set, and a 10 LP set:

20191222_113611-01.thumb.jpeg.be11ad80b3f3570433946358a671ba38.jpeg

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon

21 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

You’ve just cost me $100...

7 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

You’ve just cost me $100...

The best $100 you will spend.  Many people I speak with who own this don't like the Ravi Shankar side, but I think it is an amazing piece of music, I love the way the tension builds up to the climax at the end with the sudden ending.  If he was playing an electric guitar and not a sitar people would have been raving about him being Hendrix's equal.

2 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

The best $100 you will spend.  Many people I speak with who own this don't like the Ravi Shankar side, but I think it is an amazing piece of music, I love the way the tension builds up to the climax at the end with the sudden ending.  If he was playing an electric guitar and not a sitar people would have been raving about him being Hendrix's equal.

It’s another from my childhood, dad used to play this one, but it had slipped off my ‘re-acquisition’ radar!

Do you know which pressing are decent as a go to, and how’s the Aussie? (Trawling Discogs looking for one atm).

Edited by furtherpale

33 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I’d forgotten that one

Great dvd

1 minute ago, furtherpale said:

It’s another from my childhood, dad used to play this one, but it had slipped off my ‘re-acquisition’ radar!

Do you know which pressing are decent as a go to, and how’s the Aussie? (Trawling Discogs looking for one atm).

My copy is an original Aussie, I recall opening it under the Christmas tree.  Was actually disappointed, as my sister got Tull's Living in the Past which I would have preferred.  But I didn't mind, one I heard the Bangladesh album.  I can tell you that my original is not great quality, having been played to death on a portable record player with a ceramic cartridge.  I would think an Aussie pressing would be quite good, it had a lovely presentation with the book in the box (with the disks in the standard Aust poly inner sleeves).

And as a side comment, weren't there were some utterly fantastic double and live albums from that era? 

Looking at many of the images of these albums is bringing a smile to my face as I recall the magic in their grooves. 

On 22/12/2019 at 12:57 PM, audiofeline said:

My copy is an original Aussie, I recall opening it under the Christmas tree.  Was actually disappointed, as my sister got Tull's Living in the Past which I would have preferred.  But I didn't mind, one I heard the Bangladesh album.  I can tell you that my original is not great quality, having been played to death on a portable record player with a ceramic cartridge.  I would think an Aussie pressing would be quite good, it had a lovely presentation with the book in the box (with the disks in the standard Aust poly inner sleeves).

Awesome... shall have a hunt around for a NM, might get out for far less than $100!

Edited by furtherpale

20 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I didn’t like the Ravi bit

I actually saw George Harrison in Vancouver about 74 or 75 

It was the first Stop of his American tour

I guess it sounds silly now but it was a real thrill to be at a concert with a Beatle and I was hyper

George came on first and it was a bit slow but it really started to get really good he stopped and went off stage and Ravi and his band came on

It completely killed that rock n roll thrill and it never really came back after Ravi went off and George came back on to finish

Still I got to actually see a real live Beatle

Edited by keyse1

Live albums is when you need to drag out the pre with tone's and boost. 

20191224_134916.jpg

Loving this live double album, which is part of the new Go-Betweens box set, which came out in December. Previously unreleased, and- so it says- the only 24 track recording of them live. Hence it sounds so much better than all the radio broadcasts and bootlegs that I have heard before. Don't even need tone controls to make it sound good @awty!

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

Some great albums posted, here are 2 i grew up on.

jacksonlive.jpg
ono.jpg

Posted (edited)

Some more live double albums, Rodrigo & Gabriela, Live in Japan being my favourite then Simple Minds, Live in the City of Light

15120145-F8A8-4EC2-AFAE-8BF3AA7BCEC6.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin