Dark Room - bright projector

Hey everyone. Would like to hear your thoughts.

i have a small dedicated HT room (recently painted the ceiling dark to match the dark walls) measuring about 4m long and 3.5m wide.

I was considering a Epson 6700 (coupling with a white 110" screen) because I wanted to discount the risk with rainbows on me or anyone I invite over and because it is generally well reviewed for a 1080p projector.

However I'm concerned about the brightness of this projector, even in Eco mode. I've even thought maybe I'll need a ND2 filter because, again, it's a dedicated HT room where I can block out all noticeable outside light.

Feedback or alternative suggestions welcome!

24 minutes ago, jalalii88 said:

Hey everyone. Would like to hear your thoughts.

i have a small dedicated HT room (recently painted the ceiling dark to match the dark walls) measuring about 4m long and 3.5m wide.

I was considering a Epson 6700 (coupling with a white 110" screen) because I wanted to discount the risk with rainbows on me or anyone I invite over and because it is generally well reviewed for a 1080p projector.

However I'm concerned about the brightness of this projector, even in Eco mode. I've even thought maybe I'll need a ND2 filter because, again, it's a dedicated HT room where I can block out all noticeable outside light.

Feedback or alternative suggestions welcome!

hi jala.... indeed even in eco the epson will be pretty bright but you are also running a reasonable sized screen in the 110" you wont need an ND2 filter. I dont believe the 6700 has an adjustable manual iris as the 9300 9400 upper models do. perhaps something to consider. personally as a previous gen epson owner, I too very mcuh appreciated the iris when moved to jvc that came standard with the feature for all models.

in saying i have used epson without the adjustable iris (only auto) and you can get by no probs. i suspect you will be perfectly fine with the lamp set on eco. i did find myself eco with epson was the best setting any higher and all the colours woudkl tend to go off... and will need calibrating to sort out. 

ps good you have a dark room ie light control. any projector is impacted by this so well worth keeping in hand

yes the 6700 is a bright pj.. have you actually bought it yet? 2 weeks ago they were on run out for $1699.. the new 4k ish ehtw7100 takes over that $2500 price slot now.

personally if you have not bought one i would consider getting a 2nd hand 8200/9200 it is not as bright and has a great "movie" quality picture.. $1000 should do it. just check the throw.. just did its the same

oh as for dlp rainbows.. never had a problem

Edited by hopefullguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/12/2019 at 9:13 AM, betty boop said:

hi jala.... indeed even in eco the epson will be pretty bright but you are also running a reasonable sized screen in the 110" you wont need an ND2 filter. I dont believe the 6700 has an adjustable manual iris as the 9300 9400 upper models do. perhaps something to consider. personally as a previous gen epson owner, I too very mcuh appreciated the iris when moved to jvc that came standard with the feature for all models.

in saying i have used epson without the adjustable iris (only auto) and you can get by no probs. i suspect you will be perfectly fine with the lamp set on eco. i did find myself eco with epson was the best setting any higher and all the colours woudkl tend to go off... and will need calibrating to sort out. 

ps good you have a dark room ie light control. any projector is impacted by this so well worth keeping in hand

I have 9300, but not sure what’s the use of IRIS? Would you please advise what to setup with IRIS if I feel 9300 to bright? Thanks. 

8 hours ago, TDX said:

I have 9300, but not sure what’s the use of IRIS? Would you please advise what to setup with IRIS if I feel 9300 to bright? Thanks. 

hi TDK, the manual setting on the iris (lens iris as epson calls it) sets luminance on the screen. For SDR (DVD-blu-ray, TV etc) you should have this set between 12-16 FL or 14FL nominal (as stipulated by SMPTE and what any calibrator will set on)

as per epson, pg78 manual,

"Adjusts the amount of light entering the

lens with the lens diaphragm, which adjusts

the contrast of the image."

which is also true, crank right open tend to loose contrast, as opposed to shutting down,

invest in a light meter, something like the one from RS electronics, quite affordable at under $100 and available locally.

https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/light-meters/1232223/

and using a white screen from any test disc (or download from AVS) you then place light meter at the screen mid centre pointing back at the projector. and with white screen measure luminance in Fc. if your screen gain is say 1.1 then multiply the Fc reading by 1.1 to get your reading in FL.As mentioned you want 12-16FL and nominal of 14 FL. you can measure around the screen to see amount of drop off getting as move around to achieve within bounds.

for HDR you want something in the bounds of 30FL, but i know folk getting some gains from HDR from as little as 22 FL but calibration is key here. if struggling to achieve output for HDR on lower lamp settings could use the natural setting instead of cinema or digital cinema that have the p3 filter but that will also impact colour and give better colours for HDR but you sacrifice some luminance.  using higher lamp settings eg high will give more light but where colours tend to go quite a bit off. so matter of finding best balance :) 

• Like 2