Turntable Do's and Dont's & Tips

1 hour ago, April Snow said:

Is this for real? 

I was thinking a gurney would blow the dust and dirt right out of those grooves  ? *joke*

Seriously? How would tap water help? What about the chemicals and water deposits?

What sort of spinner? 

I use distilled water and my spin clean and the cloths they supply (I find they are good and no lint) then finish off air drying on a rack then re-sleeve in Mofi Anti Stat..........after an hour or so. 

Shall think about getting one of those Vac cleaners next year maybe but for now this seems to be working.

The camera lense blower I have actually read about that a few times myself, but not the tap water - isnt that a no no?

How many times have you bathed in tap water over the years? Shouldn't you be caked under layers of chemical deposits? And if you aren't, why is that so?

Edited by jeromelang

8 hours ago, jeromelang said:

How many times have you bathed in tap water over the years? Shouldn't you be caked under layers of chemical deposits? And if you aren't, why is that so?

I am covered in cake from my taps. The chemical deposits on top give me a sound complexion.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jeromelang said:

Nonsense statement. You wash vigorously and dry yourself off vigorously with a towel. If you treated a record that way you would trash it. The use of tap water on records and on your skin has absolutely no relevance to one another.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Nonsense statement. You wash vigorously and dry yourself off vigorously with a towel. If you treated a record that way you would trash it. The use of tap water on records and on your skin has absolutely no relevance to one another.

Not to mention that living human skin is not the same as a record...

I don’t use turtle wax to glaze ham either...

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, furtherpale said:

Not to mention that living human skin is not the same as a record...

I don’t use turtle wax to glaze ham either...

And here I was thinking I may have a few wrinkles but turns out they might actually be grooves then !!!!!! ???

Think I might trade my moisturizer for Reviginizer then?

IMG_2915.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Haha 1

The issue is moisture removal.

If puddles of tap water are left over surfaces and evaporated naturally, yes, of course, there will be deposit build up. 

But if moisture on vinyl surfaces are  immediately removed there will be no surface noise issues. None. Period. 

My turntable is probably the most sensitive to debris leftovers among all turntables in the whole world. I will be the first to raise a hand if using tap water increases surface noise. If I can say using tap water and immediately removing them from vinyl surfaces cause no discernible increment in surface noise (as heard from the elp player), then for all intent and purposes, needle playback systems will also hear no such issues either. 

Over the years I've tried different types of water, whether distilled, carbonated, oxygenated, alkalined, none has come closed to tap water in its revitalizing and neutralizing properties. Maybe it is it's ph characteristics. Maybe...., but I've tried heating and then cooling the tap water, and it makes records sound wholly different. Dead sound. Straight from the tap still sounds best. Boiling water removes oxygen? What else is removed?

I also have to add that with a spinner device, the record is dried without contact with any other materials. So the changes in sound is purely from using different water. The results are the same whether laser or needle playback is used. 

4 hours ago, t_mike said:

Nope, laser is completely different. You're not even a part of the analogue community any more.

While I'd agree that a laser turntable is a different way of retrieving the information from the groove I think it's a bit unfair to say that it's not part of the analogue community as a laser turntable is still analogue.

Wow I did not know Laser Record players even existed !!!

Interesting -

I had to do some googling - seems they are considered still to be analogue ....or reading analogue but remove the pops and clicks - but then wonder if you lose the warmth from that? Guess this is a whole different topic, but now I can see that maybe he can use his tap water as it likely has no effect on a Laser Record player because if it can remove a pop or click, it certainly would not be concerned over a water deposit as no actual stylus comes into contact?

But I think for the rest of us with that thing called a stylus doing the work - distilled water is still the way to go.

https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/56566/laser-turntable

Edited by April Snow

Laser record players don't remove pops and ticks, if anything they amplify them so records have to be truly pristine. They are indeed analogue. Just because something uses a laser doesn't make it digital. It's what the laser reads that defines whether it's digital or analogue.

• Like 2

It is unfortunate that the laser turntable technology was developed at the time when CDs became dominant. 

I've always considered the laser turntable to be one step beyond prototype - the first commercial versions were released, but horrendously expensive because of the r+d costs (remember the first CD players were very expensive).  Had CDs not taken over I would have expected that the laser turntable technology would have improved and costs slowly decreased, and they would have eventually become another standard and (at least relatively) affordable turntable design (ie, idler/belt/dd/laser).  I could also see how the development of digital technology may have played a part in the development, to the extent that the analogue laser signal could have been converted to a digital signal. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hergest said:

Laser record players don't remove pops and ticks, if anything they amplify them so records have to be truly pristine. They are indeed analogue. Just because something uses a laser doesn't make it digital. It's what the laser reads that defines whether it's digital or analogue.

Interesting as the PC Mag said it did remove those, but I guess they would not have taken off if in fact they amplified them !! So guess they were doomed from the start then especially with CD technology

On 22/12/2019 at 12:16 AM, jeromelang said:

Over the years I've tried different types of water, whether distilled, carbonated, oxygenated, alkalined, none has come closed to tap water in its revitalizing and neutralizing properties. Maybe it is it's ph characteristics.

Its the Chlorine.:thumb:

On 19/12/2019 at 12:05 PM, audiofeline said:

The manual for my belt-drive suggests helping the platter revolve when starting the motor, which makes sense (esp. for the heavy platter).

For my Rega I always give the platter a spin before engaging the motor, then leave it spinning until the listening session is finished.

With my Gyrodec which uses a clamp you have to switch off when changing sides.  Also the more powerful motor negates the need for a manual pre-spin

• Like 1