Ethernet Cables - Uptone Audio EtherREGEN only

Snoopy8

Uptone Audio have released the EtherRegen, an Ethernet switch specifically designed for the audio market.  Decided to start a separate thread for Ethernet cables & EtherREGEN so that it does not swamp the owner's thread.

The main SNA EtherRegen Owner's thread is here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/298077-uptone-audio-etherregen-owners-thread/

The Uptone thread for cable discussions is here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57686-the-etherregen-thread-for-various-cable-and-power-experiences-and-experiments/

@frednork discussed various Ethernet cables with the EtherREGEN here:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/298077-uptone-audio-etherregen-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4433011

I borrowed those cables and tried it in my own setup.  Currently using Supra Cat8 cable on the "B side".  

Having heard it on Frednork's system, I had high expectations for the expensive ($750) SOtM dCBL CAT 7 Ethernet cable.  However, in my setup, the dCBL CAT 7  changed the sound considerably; brought forward the sound and over emphasised the mids.  It was not to my liking (and a relief on the hip pocket).  The  Wireworld  Starlight Cat8 cable did better.  It improved the body of the music and brought a little warmth..  Unlike the dCBL CAT 7 cable, I could certainly live with the Starlight.  The improvement by the Starlight was less than a PSU (will write separately) and a lot less than the EtherREGEN itself.

Will need for experimentation to decide whether I upgrade the Ethernet cable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Go short as you can IMHO...

Waiting for someone to hard wire one of these in. Or just develop an audiophile NIC :P

Edited by rmpfyf

As Elecom has been mentioned ... I thought this was amusing.

I happen to be in Singapore, strolling thru a store like Retravision and saw something we dont see in the likes Retravision, JB HiFi, etc .... maybe Elecom is a household name here.

Screenshot_20191219-220231_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191219-220102_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20191219-220159_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dbastin said:

As Elecom has been mentioned ... I thought this was amusing.

I happen to be in Singapore, strolling thru a store like Retravision and saw something we dont see in the likes Retravision, JB HiFi, etc .... maybe Elecom is a household name here.

Yes.

Got mine in Akihabara on a trip. Wasn't looking for it in particular. Didn't have the slim variant at the time.

@Snoopy8.thanks for setting up all the EtherREGEN threads. Really helpful and seperates the related topics very effectively.

I am due to receive the EtherREGEN in January batch and am most interested in finding a good ethernet cable for the B side of the EtherREGEN (to streamer/DAC). I’ve currently got two low cost Tera Grand cables (both the flat and double sheilded) on their way to try out, but would definitely be keen to hear other’s experiences.

I will use an Elecom CAT8 to connect the EtherREGEN on the A sie (from modem/router). I understand this cable may have shields connected to the plug on both sides so may not be ideal for this purpose. I understand this would only be a problem if I connect other devices to the A side?

@Ed Sky, my experience so far with Ethernet cables and EtherREGEN suggests that standard or low cost cables are more than adequate.  

I previously mentioned that I did not like the sound produced by the SOtM dCBL CAT 7 cable; it did not sound right to my ears.  The Wireworld  Starlight Cat 8 did sound OK, but careful listening showed that there was slightly increased smearing of instruments which reversed the improvement brought by the EtherREGEN.  For my setup, it looks like the Supra Cat 8 cable for me, or even standard cables, which I have difficulty telling apart.

Uptone, in the EtherREGEN user guide, declined to recommend purchase of any fancy or expensive Ethernet cabling. I support that recommendation.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/12/2019 at 2:13 PM, Snoopy8 said:

For my setup, it looks like the Supra Cat 8 cable for me

Hi,

Can you clarify where you tried SOtM Cat 7 and Supra Cat 8.  Was it between Dialog and Phantoms? ...  between ER and Dialog?

8 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Hi,

Can you clarify where you tried SOtM Cat 7 and Supra Cat 8.  Was it between Dialog and Phantoms? ...  between ER and Dialog?

I tried both the SOtM Cat 7 (1 m) and Supra Cat 8 (1.5 m) between the ER and Dialog. I did not have 3 Ethernet cables (ER to Dialog & 2 Phantoms, each at least 2.5 m) to test the alternate.

That's clear Snoopy8.  For those who dont know, here is his set up ...

I imagine there could be better improvement with SOtM between ER and each Phantom, but quite an expense in cabling.

I say this because the biggest impact I've had with ethernet cable was upgrade from WW Starlight to Platinum between my switch and Devialet Pro, and the impact was a lot less upgrading from WW Starlight to Platinum between switch and Server (Antipodes Edge).  And my switch is just an iinet BOB (lite) but with high end LPS and Shunyata power cord. I'm yet to commit to an audio grade switch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dbastin said:

That's clear Snoopy8.  For those who dont know, here is his set up ...

I imagine there could be better improvement with SOtM between ER and each Phantom, but quite an expense in cabling.

I say this because the biggest impact I've had with ethernet cable was upgrade from WW Starlight to Platinum between my switch and Devialet Pro, and the impact was a lot less upgrading from WW Starlight to Platinum between switch and Server (Antipodes Edge).  And my switch is just an iinet BOB (lite) but with high end LPS and Shunyata power cord. I'm yet to commit to an audio grade switch.

I posted previously that I did not like the sound of the SOtM cable and found that the WW Starlight created a slight smearing.  It is of course a personal preference on my setup. 

Yes, it would be expensive to use uber cables to each of the Phantoms but, fortunately for the wallet (!!!),  the EtherREGEN made it unnecessary. 

In preparation for the arrival of my ER in the next week or so I purchased some Cable Matters CAT8 cables, the SQ has improved considerable after a few days of burn-in in my current setup, Blue Jeans CAT5e from modem/router to D-LINK switch, previously BJ CAT5e elsewhere but now CM CAT8, from switch to SonicTransporter, NAS, and to endpoint, UltraRendu/DirectStream DAC. I really didn't expect this level of improvement, really looking forward to getting the ER.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I posted previously that I did not like the sound of the SOtM cable and found that the WW Starlight created a slight smearing.  It is of course a personal preference on my setup. 

I dont mean to labour this, but my point is you did not like them between ER and Dialog, but be careful not to assume that they wont perform differently between ER and endpoint, in your case Phantoms.

Edited by dbastin

6 minutes ago, dbastin said:

I dont mean to labour this, but my point is you did not like them between ER and Dialog, but be careful not to assume that they wont perform differently between ER and endpoint, in your case Phantoms.

I agree with your point about not assuming,  but I doubt I can borrow 3 SOtM cables to try.  Buying 3 new is out of the question at $2,850, and it will be a long time before 3 turn up in the Classifieds (assuming they were long enough!).

If I was going to experiment further, I would firstly upgrade to DOS2 which would eliminate the Dialog and reduce cable count to 2.  I could then experiment with 2 uber cables or a second EtherREGEN (which I may be able to borrow).  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, medjohn said:

I use a dual Ethernet regen, with optic fiber in between
lan cable wise, I use acoustic revive and a Taobao Chinese cat8 lan. I like my sound

cheers

Can you please provide more details of your setup, before and after.  The more details, the better so that others can understand what worked in your system. If possible, a diagram?