Rega Tonearm cueing Lever - What grease to use?

My Rega RB 303 is dropping too fast when lever is down. I guess that I need to clean inside and apply new grease or oil.

Does anyone know what grease or oil needs to be used? When I research internet, High Viscosity Grease to be used but not sure what and where to get exactly.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

My Rega RB 303 is dropping too fast when lever is down. I guess that I need to clean inside and apply new grease or oil.

Does anyone know what grease or oil needs to be used? When I research internet, High Viscosity Grease to be used but not sure what and where to get exactly.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you are a Vinyl Engine member you can download the service manual 

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/arm-cueing-lever.shtml

2 minutes ago, Full Range said:

If you are a Vinyl Engine member you can download the service manual 

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/arm-cueing-lever.shtml

Thank you. The manual says, "Re-grease using only Rega supplied lift/lower grease."  I am particularly interested in finding out what and where to get this Rega supplied lift/lower grease. I could not find it anywhere on internet.

25 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thank you. The manual says, "Re-grease using only Rega supplied lift/lower grease."  I am particularly interested in finding out what and where to get this Rega supplied lift/lower grease. I could not find it anywhere on internet.

To me that has worked in the lubricants field 

The highest Viscosity is hard solid grease  

There are about 9 grades of grease ranging from semi fluid all the way up to solid 

I would suggest a common grease like bearing grease would be suitable 

Edited by Full Range
  • Like 1

I did a Project arm on a music hall table and used this stuff

https://www.rcmodelaircraft.com.au/alpha-diff-oil-60cc-20000w-pa-cl20000

It is a few years, and can't remember the exact weight, but I think this was it, and it worked well ( and there's been no issues).

Not my idea. When I was googling the repair, I came across using this diff oil.

• Like 1

I recently re did my Technics SL1200 with 5,000 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RC-Silicone-Diff-Fluid-1k-500k-by-Team-Associated-HPI-Losi-PRC-Rovan-KM/362553660092?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=631701504763&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But it still drops too quick and I am not sure what to go to next.

Thanks for suggestions. Those are silicone based oil.. And, not sure if oil is better than grease since manual says high viscosity grease. Is there any difference what to use between grease and oil if viscosity are similar?

14 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Thanks for suggestions. Those are silicone based oil.. And, not sure if oil is better than grease since manual says high viscosity grease. Is there any difference what to use between grease and oil if viscosity are similar?

In layman’s terms 

Grease is oil with additives to make it thicker 

So if you use oil you can thicken it by adding grease 

If using grease you can thin it down by using oil 

I think that the word "Grease" is just terminology being used.  These devices all used a thick oil (or runny grease).  Most people now use a viscous silicon oil, like the above suggestions, which was not around in earlier decades. 

And remember (going off-topic here), that Olivia told us that Grease is not a word, it is the word.  ?

• Like 1

A few years ago l had the same problem with a Yamaha PF800 arm and used the recommended 300.000 rc car dif  'oil'  (from a rc model car shop )-  YEP !  300.000 - looks too thick like silicone, but worked instanly and never had the problem since.

oh !  and you only need a smear of it on the part that lifts and lowers the arm.

Edited by Grumpy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Grumpy said:

A few years ago l had the same problem with a Yamaha PF800 arm and used the recommended 300.000 rc car dif  'oil'  (from a rc model car shop )-  YEP !  300.000 - looks too thick like silicone, but worked instanly and never had the problem since.

That is insane viscosity level. Great to know that we can go extremely high viscosity and still works fine.