Sign in to follow this  
Bermi

My Vintage HiFi needs help

One problem seems to be solved and another is a concern.

I done the 'contact cleaner' and nothing changed. I accidently brushed the speaker wire and I got a response from the Right Hand Speaker, hmmm. On further inspection, I noticed that, 45 years ago, I joined another speaker wire to the original wire for an extension.

After I redone the wiring joint, the Right Hand Speaker is now working. I'm pleased, but annoyed that the problem seemed to be something simple.

Now, the other problem, which started weeks ago. There is a noise that only comes out of the Left Hand Speakers.

The volume of the noise varies, from silence to a loud noise and there is no pattern. It starts when I turn the amplifier on and continues for a little while after I turn the amplifier off.

Any idea what the problem is, or any suggestions what I could try to stop the noise???

By the way, thanks for all your help, @surprisetech, @Sub Sonic, @Ratbob and @mbz

Work out if it's a pre or power amp problem, perhaps easiest to remove "pre-out/main-in" links and replace with RCA cable but cross the cable, ie, go from Left pre-out to right main in, likewise right pre-out to left main-in, power up and check for noise, if problem stays on the left speaker then it's a power amp issue, likewise if noise moves to right channel points to preamp.

The pre has 2SC1312 transistors which make audiokarmas top 10 worst/noise prone transistors, suggested replacement is KSC1845, use an oscilloscope or audio probe to locate offending item but probably easiest to replace all 2SC1312 due to its bad rep.

1 hour ago, mbz said:

The pre has 2SC1312 transistors which make audiokarmas top 10 worst/noise prone transistors, suggested replacement is KSC1845, use an oscilloscope or audio probe to locate offending item but probably easiest to replace all 2SC1312 due to its bad rep.

I did this to a couple of Sansui amps last year, but be aware that the pin configuration may be different to the originals.

SS