Neat n short article on the Talking Heads

cafe67

Awesome article @cafe67!

First gig - supporting the Ramones at CBGB - WOW!  I went on a rock n roll walking tour in NY years ago and stood outside the old CBGB.  So sad that generations miss out on the history of that place.

Have loved Talking Heads for many years, and my fav album is, I often find, their least liked, Naked.  Their music is still relevant today.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting cover of Talking Heads' Houses In Motion by UK band A Certain Ratio.

https://www.stereogum.com/2038333/a-certain-ratio-houses-in-motion-talking-heads-grace-jones/video/

< A Certain Ratio, Talking Heads’ peers in envelope-pushing, body-moving post-punk experimentation, recorded a cover of “Houses In Motion” many years ago, when Remain In Light was still a current release. The original idea was to have the legendary Grace Jones sing on it, but her vocal take was never completed. >

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2019/05/03/a-certain-ratio-talking-heads-houses-in-motion/

< Classic post-punk outfit A Certain Ratio has dusted off and reworked a cover of Talking Heads’ “Houses in Motion” that it recorded with famed Factory Records house producer Martin Hannett in 1980 with the intention that Grace Jones would sing the lead vocal.

Jones was at the sessions — as the photo released by the band’s publicists shows — but did not finish her vocals during the session at Strawberry Studios in Stockport, England. Instead, the completed version of the track features the guide vocal recorded by Jez Kerr before he became ACR’s singer.

Kerr now says: “It was great to find this lost track and, even though the original idea was for Grace Jones to sing on it, I think this version captures the essence of ACR at their best – when we are being ACR and sounding like no one else.” >

• Like 1

Saw Talking Heads twice in Melbourne. First time in 1979 they played Dallas Brooks Hall, management weren't pleased when someone put a knife into the stage floor during Psycho Killer. Second time in 1984 was a double bill with the Pretenders at the old Olympic pool.

Pretenders and the Real Thing was how I took that double bill. David and a ghetto blaster began solo with Psycho Killer. Each song added an extra member of the band until the stage was full. Amazing band at the top of their form!

Caught David once or twice post Talking Heads.

regards Ian

• Like 2

2 hours ago, josh0571 said:

Talkiing Heads were a fantastic band. I only have their greatest hits on CD so I should get into their albums.

Where do I start?

I usually start with a bands first album and work through chronologically, but sometimes it's best to start with their break-through album.  To just select some, I doubt you'd go wrong with Remain In Light, Speaking In Tongues and Little Creatures. 

Having said that, as I previously mentioned, my favourite is Naked.

• Thanks 1

Talking Heads were a band I quite liked at the time, although couldn't say I was a massive fan. It was only in recent years that I picked up a few of their albums. Started with the "Once In A Lifetime: Best Of Talking Heads" compilation, followed by "Little Creatures" and "True Stories" (both 2006 remaster CD + DVD-A).

I haven't heard "Naked" in its entirety yet, but I'm starting to think I might get a copy. "(Nothing But) Flowers" is from that album, and is probably my favourite Talking Heads song out of what I've heard so far. I think that has something to do with the involvement of a number of African musicians in this recording. Brice Wassy, Abdou M'Boup and Yves N'Djock played on the album, and are names I've also seen on Jean-Luc Ponty's 1991 album "Tchokola".

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, josh0571 said:

Talkiing Heads were a fantastic band. I only have their greatest hits on CD so I should get into their albums.

Where do I start?

Start with the first 3

And then continue 
I think every band should be listened to from the start if you aren’t familiar with the music. That way you get to experience them as we did buying the records in real time and you get a better idea just how good they were

They changed musically a lot over the decade

The live album Stop Making Sense is a great cinema experience so if you have a good stereo hooked up to your TV it would sound incredible 

Edited by keyse1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About 15 years ago I was in a taxi (that's right, before Uber!) with a mate whom I had known for about 15 years at that stage.  We'd had a couple of jars and were heading out for the night.  I heard two Talking Heads songs in a row, then when the third came on I realised the taxi driver was playing a CD.  I said "Talking Heads!  Turn it up!" .  The taxi driver replied "Hell yeah" and cranked it.  My mate then said, "I love Talking Heads".  We rocked out for one song until we arrived at the pub.  

@josh0571 thanks for the vid, that was brilliant!

On 17/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, Ian McP said:

Saw Talking Heads twice in Melbourne. First time in 1979 they played Dallas Brooks Hall, management weren't pleased when someone put a knife into the stage floor during Psycho Killer. Second time in 1984 was a double bill with the Pretenders at the old Olympic pool.

Pretenders and the Real Thing was how I took that double bill. David and a ghetto blaster began solo with Psycho Killer. Each song added an extra member of the band until the stage was full. Amazing band at the top of their form!

Caught David once or twice post Talking Heads.

regards Ian

I became musically obsessed with Talking Heads when their third album came out.  In hindsight would have loved to see them in 1979, but saw their two shows in 1984.  I was no big fan of The Pretenders, but enjoyed a lot of their songs.  However, their performance was very ordinary, and I recall the only was Chrissy Hynde was able to get any excitement from the audience was by swearing.  It put me off the band.

Talking Heads were at the top of their game.  The same tour that was documented in the wonderful movie "Stop Making Sense" - I saw it earlier in the year on BluRay - each viewing brings back memories of one of the best concerts I've had the privilege to attend. 

As I mentioned, I saw their two performances in Melbourne's swimming pool.  I walked out of the first performance on 30 Jan 1984, stunned with the quality.  The next day's review of this concert in The Age newspaper said that Byrne was overheard to complain to his band-mates about the poor quality of the performance.  Having attended that concert, I didn't believe how that could be true.  However, to my amazement, the second concert on 31 Jan did seem slightly better. 

On February 4, 1984 Talking heads played Sweetwaters North Festival in NZ, and two days later on Feb 6, they played the  Sweetwaters South Festival in NZ.  Tina Weymouth described this as the worst concert they ever played, and the band quit live touring.  I feel fortunate that I was able to see them do what they did better than anyone else. 

• Like 1

On 21/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, emesbee said:

...I haven't heard "Naked" in its entirety yet, but I'm starting to think I might get a copy. "(Nothing But) Flowers" is from that album, and is probably my favourite Talking Heads song out of what I've heard so far. I think that has something to do with the involvement of a number of African musicians in this recording. Brice Wassy, Abdou M'Boup and Yves N'Djock played on the album, and are names I've also seen on Jean-Luc Ponty's 1991 album "Tchokola".

Despite having been obsessed with their previous albums, I was never able to get into "Naked".  Bought it on CD earlier this year to give it another chance, but still couldn't relate to it.  I do give the band credit for trying a new musical direction.  However, many do like the album, and I would say all Talking Heads is worthy of a listen. 

I also agree that Jerry Harrison's solo albums need more recognition.  After hearing them I appreciated much more what he brought to the band and how he contributed to their sound.  The Byrne/Eno collaborations are also wonderful, as is Byrne's "Catherine Wheel".  I enjoyed the Tom Tom Club's first album. 

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1