Best way to isolate 120kg speakers?

Guest jakeyb77

You should never couple speakers ie spike speakers to your floor. You are just sending vibration into your room, regardless of floor type you have. Its been shown over and over that coupling sends vibrations into your room through the floors and walls. Spring based isolation like Townshend or Lenehan offer as long as its matched to the speakers weight appropriately, or iso Acoustics Titans. I've heard both spring based and iso Acoustics solutions under speakers in many environments, and they always improve the sound over coupling with spikes etc. Manufacturers put spikes in more as a finishing item, due to market expectations, and because they're a cheap solution to raise your speakers off the ground, NOT because spikes/coupling improve the sound.

No offence to anyone here who has suggested coupling, but try a good sprung solution or iso Acoustics and you will be surpirsed with the improvement.

• Like 4

IMO--

If the bass from the speakers vibrates the floor then isolating would probably work best.

If the floors are rigid then coupling is the way to go--that stops the speaker cabinets from being moved by the drivers.

At one house I had a very flexy floor and neither solution worked very well. I did build a concrete block stand for the turntable though--from the ground under the house and up through a hole I cut in the floor. This worked well.

Hi Jaceyb …..    can I ask what is the build date of your home ? ….. it tells me a lot about the actual construction of the floor.   My floors are old style 1920s Baltic pine with lots of give and therefore  really crap for speakers. I believed (  hey..... we all believe we are acoustic Gods )  that I have solved this with DIY components  ( ie; cost nothing )  that blend the  "isolationist "  versus " Bedding in "  theorists in such a way that it really works .Let me know if interested.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Yamaha_man said:

I use 8 of these under my turntable.

Would easily support your speakers.

https://recordclean.com.au/finite-elemente-cerabase-classic-isolators.html

At a $2,460 investment though. Without a physical connection to the speaker, I'd be concerned about them moving or worse, toppling off.

There are other threads on here where members have heard the Iso's first hand, bought them, and reported their findings. Go with what has been proven effective for this exact application. I don't use any of my speakers without them these days.

8 hours ago, mfforever said:

Hi Jaceyb …..    can I ask what is the build date of your home ? ….. it tells me a lot about the actual construction of the floor.   My floors are old style 1920s Baltic pine with lots of give and therefore  really crap for speakers. I believed (  hey..... we all believe we are acoustic Gods )  that I have solved this with DIY components  ( ie; cost nothing )  that blend the  "isolationist "  versus " Bedding in "  theorists in such a way that it really works .Let me know if interested.

How about you share it on here so we can all learn. If its a good idea and it works I am not averse to saving money!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Marc said:

At a $2,460 investment though. Without a physical connection to the speaker, I'd be concerned about them moving or worse, toppling off.

There are other threads on here where members have heard the Iso's first hand, bought them, and reported their findings. Go with what has been proven effective for this exact application. I don't use any of my speakers without them these days.

I would like to see a test where they change the speaker position also.

All speakers are going to sound different when positioned differently  in the same room.

Edited by Yamaha_man

On 15/12/2019 at 8:44 PM, jakeyb77 said:

Asking for some suggestions to isolate 120kg speakers on timber floorboards. 
Has anyone found a decent solution? 

Happy Birthday Jake! I have some very effective isolation material that would work really well under your speakers. Pm me if you're interested in trying it out ?

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, Dave O))) said:

Happy Birthday Jake! I have some very effective isolation material that would work really well under your speakers. Pm me if you're interested in trying it out ?

Thanks Dave! Will do when the silly season has died down. 

Guest jakeyb77

All options, except one, seem to be pretty steep. Well steeper than I first considered. 
Isolation is what I’m after. Also don’t want 120kgs of speaker to be too wobbly for safety. Lots of food for thought so far to chew on 

I use these fantastic blocks of rubberised stuff (they smell like new road tar!) Under all sorts of things.  They are cheap and really effective.  I have tried various things under speakers on wood floors.  My 85kg each Osborn Epitomes sit on the slightly bigger versions.  My Trevor Lees sit on spikes, which sit on Aldi breadboards, which sit on the rubber squares.....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

A huge $4......

Also great under components!!

3D064F36-4429-4728-BA1D-16A4D9B9A5A6.jpeg

5BA4700A-A07F-4D8A-8956-B758E579CD60.jpeg

F490A2C4-424C-4E93-955C-FCD63EB45C10.png

Edited by Mat-with-one-t
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

I use these fantastic blocks of rubberised stuff (they smell like new road tar!) Under all sorts of things.  They are cheap and really effective.  I have tried various things under speakers on wood floors.  My 85kg each Osborn Epitomes sit on the slightly bigger versions.  My Trevor Lees sit on spikes, which sit on Aldi breadboards, which sit on the rubber squares.....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-50-x-50-x-12mm-anti-vibration-squares-8-pack_p3961977

A huge $4......

Also great under components!!

3D064F36-4429-4728-BA1D-16A4D9B9A5A6.jpeg

5BA4700A-A07F-4D8A-8956-B758E579CD60.jpeg

F490A2C4-424C-4E93-955C-FCD63EB45C10.png

These are what I suggested to try to see if isolation is the right move before going to more elaborate and effective solutions 

Guest jakeyb77
21 minutes ago, Balvenie said:

Does anyone in Aus make those 'outrigger' type things ? More from a stability than coupling/decoupling perspective.

Yes, @Grizzly can help you out 

Just picked up my Isoacostics Gaia 1 yesterday and fitted earlier. 

Massive Improvement with tighter bass, more holographic, better tonality of instruments etc. and zero harshness. 

@Marc was right on the money recommending to me , Just cough up the $$$ @jakeyb77 - well worth it !

Have a gander at the build quality and packaging you get, for agreed a lot of money.

20191222_194542.thumb.jpg.95f7c16ace4bc97f7206c843dbb4dc49.jpg20191222_170529.thumb.jpg.9e8fb6e94da378db3e0aaac0f7162c23.jpg

• Like 4

• Administrator

Nah they're Gaia 1, not Titans (I need 8 x Titans for the new speakers :(). Still a lot of money but still loads better than a new amp, speakers or cables though!

Clive - make sure you watch the installation videos, as there's some tips about even which way the logo faces (not that the logo does anything - but it does indicate the right direction).

I've built a brand page for IsoAcoustics now as many dealers are getting onboard: https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/isoacoustics

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
10 minutes ago, Marc said:

Nah they're Gaia 1, not Titans (I need 8 x Titans for the new speakers :(). Still a lot of money but still loads better than a new amp, speakers or cables though!

Clive - make sure you watch the installation videos, as there's some tips about even which way the logo faces (not that the logo does anything - but it does indicate the right direction).

I've built a brand page for IsoAcoustics now as many dealers are getting onboard: https://www.stereo.net.au/brands/isoacoustics

Yeah I meant I’d need the Titans for mine also.