Tidal deal - 5 months for $6 (new users only)

Looked good, so I signed on.  Firstly, can't get flac/lossless, seems you need something called a hifi account which this offer does not get for you.

Secondly, they have no linux player (unlike Spotify), so I went to their web player, and it won't work.  Clicking on play changes the icon briefly then it reverts to not playing again and not a sound is heard (this under Chrome for max compatibility).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Secondly, they have no linux player (unlike Spotify), so I went to their web player, and it won't work.  Clicking on play changes the icon briefly then it reverts to not playing again and not a sound is heard (this under Chrome for max compatibility).

Got it to work by telling it to play via my chromecast.  Then when I stop casting, it will finally play on the computer.  Sheesh... buggy crap software everywhere these days.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Found an upgrade option, which I did, but  "Upgrading your subscription from Premium to HiFi will reduce the remaining days in your trial or billing cycle by 50%"  :)  oh well, still OK for $6 to try it out.

Their advertising is misleading then, sorry. “Try any Tidal plan - 5 months for 6 AUD”

19 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

@aussievintage this is what I see. You might have chosen the wrong one to start with. 

3A0CCEC9-3721-4624-930C-B5FAC8C2146E.png

Nope I chose the same one, but it does not (directly) get you hifi (lossless).  You have to upgrade further later, halving your trial period.

At least I thought I did...

Edited by aussievintage

23 minutes ago, zenikoy said:

I get the feeling that with these offers Tidal is in a race to the bottom death spiral.

I wouldn't know specifically, but I thought I might as well try it out.  It appears to be a tough market.  Like with supermarkets, the big boys can throw their weight around when it comes to pricing the little boys out of the market.  Tidal is one with a difference - the hifi aspect, but that is soooo expensive.  Not sure how the extra cost is justified.  Can't be bandwidth, server size, etc, as movies are still way bigger and streaming TV is a lot cheaper than Tidal hifi.

Flac lossless playback via my rpi/moOde/ToppingD10 is excellent sounding.  However the native interface software is disappointingly similar to Spotify.  Why can't they design a decent user interface for these things?

2 minutes ago, ray4410 said:

took the 4 months hifi trial for $1.99,some are master quality most hifi 
would rather listen to spotify premium,much more user friendly and sounds darn good to me.

I am currently comparing the same.    I am not hearing any big difference.   I have to admit that even local 320k mp3 and flac files both sound good, so I would not expect the same comparison between spotify and tidal to be huge.

I just found you can't access tidal masters from the web app.  Sheesh....

On 16/12/2019 at 11:17 AM, aussievintage said:

I am currently comparing the same.    I am not hearing any big difference.   I have to admit that even local 320k mp3 and flac files both sound good, so I would not expect the same comparison between spotify and tidal to be huge.

I just found you can't access tidal masters from the web app.  Sheesh....

If you're subscribed to Tidal HiFi then the web app does play Master versions on my computer. Are your Streaming settings set to Master? In the now playing screen you can click on the buton that displays playback quality and change it from there. Or via settings (topLH)/streaming/streaming audio quality.

11 hours ago, Mike13 said:

Great. What system are you using?

I have a cheap fanless computer running Daphile as a player (and upsampler) - sending bits through an Audiophilleo to my DAC.  The actual Logitech Media Server instance is running on my NAS in a Docker container.  Have trialled Roon, but still love what you can do for free with LMS.

On 18/12/2019 at 9:35 AM, krebetman said:

I have a cheap fanless computer running Daphile as a player (and upsampler) - sending bits through an Audiophilleo to my DAC.  The actual Logitech Media Server instance is running on my NAS in a Docker container.  Have trialled Roon, but still love what you can do for free with LMS.

Yeah Roon is definitely not necessary for all. 

Edited by Mike13
  • Like 1

I currently have the Hifi subscription and just got an email offering :

When you upgrade to a 3 month plan, get one month free for a limited time.
That's $47.98 instead of $71.97.

Not sure if its targeted or not.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, Mike13 said:
    MSRP $180.00 Deal Price $6.00

This is pretty good. Try it with Roon. 

MSRP for HiFi family plan is $180. 

Whats is roon and how does it work and whats the benefits? My brother gave me a brand new metrum roon that I've never used.

Regards Walter

2 hours ago, audiohifiaudio said:

Whats is roon and how does it work and whats the benefits? My brother gave me a brand new metrum roon that I've never used.

Regards Walter

It’s like iTunes but with better functionality, album art and artist info, and a better user interface.

You can upscale with it and use it for room correction.

It is the only way to play Tidal for some network players, like the SMS200. 

It makes your digital music collection look good. If you don’t have a digital collection it is probably it worth it. 

https://roonlabs.com

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...