Anyone own a Denon AVR-X3600H?

Hi All,

Can anyone that currently owns the Denon AVR-X3600H tell me if you can be using HEOS to stream Spotify, while simultaneously watch a video source such as the PS4, Apple TV, or Set Top Box?

I would like to play the PS4, or watch TV (without sound of course), while listening to music via Spotify.

I currently have a Sony STR-DN1080, and you can't do it, however I used to own a Yamaha many years ago that I could do it.  I hope to be getting a Denon AVR-X3600H soon and would love to have first hand knowledge from someone that owns one.  The user manual mentions you can, but has a footnote which kind of contradicts it, so it's a little confusing.

If anyone can advise that would be awesome.

Edit: The user manual states the following;

"This unit can display video from a different source on TV during audio playback. You can set this for each input source.

Supported input sources: CD * Tuner / HEOS Music / Phono

* This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video connectors are assigned."

Thanks 

Geoff

Edited by gleff

6 hours ago, WasM said:

I personally haven't tried it but you can assign the video input as you have identified.

I think you select 'Video Select' to On and choose the input to your video source.

image.png.4a06800068c8df736d20ee34a36b4f55.png

The problem is page 124 of the manual says this?  This is why it's confusing.  What does it mean by This cannot be set when any of the HDMI ports are assigned?  Aren't they always assigned as soon as you plug the cable in?

This unit can display video from a different source on TV during audio playback. You can set this for each input source.  

Supported input sources: CD* / Tuner / HEOS Music / Phono

* This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video connectors are assigned.

I believe that refers to when you have assigned or 'mapped' them to another 'shortcut' on the remote Eg. if you hit 'Aux' on and configured that to feed video from 'DVD'.

If you really want to be sure head into a reputable store where they have Denon units setup. You're probably best to buy from there if you run into issues.

@gleff if you are using Spotify through Heos, the Spotify app can now natively connect to the Heos device, without using Heos app. Even on standby the amp will switch on if triggered within Spotify.

Just be aware it takes a few seconds for the trigger to initiate and the amp/Heos device to turn on but it does; when it does just beware of the volume as the music track would have played through, say 5 seconds, and the volume defaults to your Spotify app volume control, not the amp startup volume setting. I've had a few instances blowing my eardrums.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Anyone know if the DeRemote ios app supports the Denon AVR-X3600H?  I sent an email to the developer about a week ago, but haven't heard anything back.  The model isn't specifically mentioned on the app compatibility list.

Guest niterida
On 14/12/2019 at 6:41 PM, gleff said:

Supported input sources: CD * Tuner / HEOS Music / Phono

* This cannot be set when any of the HDMI, component video or video connectors are assigned."

Thanks 

Geoff

This just means the input source you want to LISTEN to has to be AUDIO ONLY, it cannot be a VIDEO capable source, otherwise this video will be displayed instead of the video you want from the GAME source.

The manual where you got that quote from tells you exactly how to do set it up - its not hard !!

Edited by niterida
updated info

2 hours ago, niterida said:

This just means the input source you want to LISTEN to has to be AUDIO ONLY, it cannot be a VIDEO capable source, otherwise this video will be displayed instead of the video you want from the GAME source.

The manual where you got that quote from tells you exactly how to do set it up - its not hard !!

That makes sense.  You'd think they'd just say that LOL instead of a contradictory statement that is confusing.

Thanks heaps.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got to pick up the AVR-X3600H yesterday that was on order, and I spent the day setting it up.  Still doing a bit of tweaking, but i'm happy to say the two main features I wanted, are in fact working great.  There is a slight issue with setting volume by voice though.  Not a deal breaker however.  It works great setting the volume , but if you make adjustments using the remote as well, it doesn't sync up eg.  If you are at volume 0 as an example and say "OK Google, Volume 30 on the Denon", it changes the volume to 30.  If I continue to speak volumes it works great.  As soon as I use a remote control to modify the volume, and then use voice to change the volume, the volume will be out by the amount you changed it using the remote.  Eg. If it was set by voice to 30 and is at 30, and then I use the remote to change it to 33, and then use voice to set it to 50, it will actually change it to 53 instead of 50.  I can't see any way of fixing that so maybe it's a bug and may be fixed in a future firmware update.

Here's some things I love about the receiver and how it compares to my Sony STR-DN1080.

* If I watched a Youtube video on the TV, I had to use an optical cable to get sound back to the Sony receiver for some reason.  This isn't the case with the AVR-X3600H.  It just works without the need of an optical cable.  Both receivers I believe had E-ARC so no idea why I had the issue with the Sony.

* Every single setting, including distances, Levels, graphic equalizer etc.  all can be modified using a web browser on the same network.  The Sony doesn't have that feature, and I love it on this receiver.  It makes it so easy to make changes to tweak things and it updates the receiver in real time so you can get immediate results.

* There's a configuration backup and restore option on the AVR-X3600H which saves the configuration to a USB stick.  This comes in really handy so you can make backups when you tweak settings, and then restore when you bugger something up.  This isn't a feature of the Sony receiver. I've already used the feature, and it works great.

* I can be listening to Spotify, or any other audio source ie. USB, network, etc, while watching cable TV (using a Set Top Box), or Apple TV, or PS4 etc.  I've tested it and it works great.  This was one of the major features I wanted and it's not available on the Sony receiver.

* I love the amount of tweaking I can do., and the audio is the same if not better than the Sony receiver albeit, i'm still getting used to the slight change after changing receivers.  So far, i'm really happy with the receiver though.

I feel like there are only a couple of minor annoyances that stop it from being really awesome, but the annoyances are very minor, and can be resolved in future firmware updates potentially.  

The first is the volume issue above, and the second is the fact the Denon doesn't show up in Google Home as a device that you can add to a group.  The Sony receiver could do this so you could add all the Google Homes around the house into a group which included the receiver.  The device that comes up the Google Home app for Denon is the HEOS name and while you can control it by voice, you can't add it to a group and play it along side all the Google Homes.

Apart from that, it's a great receiver, and I definitely feel like it was a worthy upgrade.  I'll be in heaven if Denon ever fix the above issues.  I can't find any way of sending them feedback though.

52 minutes ago, gleff said:

Apart from that, it's a great receiver, and I definitely feel like it was a worthy upgrade.  I'll be in heaven if Denon ever fix the above issues.  I can't find any way of sending them feedback though.

Great to hear the positive outcome.

If you need to get in touch with Denon - email the Australian support line.

I contacted them about a HEOS issue and they responded promptly.

4 minutes ago, WasM said:

Great to hear the positive outcome.

If you need to get in touch with Denon - email the Australian support line.

I contacted them about a HEOS issue and they responded promptly.

Do you know the email address off the top of your head?  Looking at the Denon australia website, it tells me to contact the Australian Distributor which I assume I don't want.

1 minute ago, WasM said:

Qualifi - write in the support page through the website

They responded via email to me.

Oh okay.  Thanks.  I wouldn't have thought they wouldn't be able to do much as they aren't Denon, but i'll email them and see what they say.

Thanks for that.

Woot.  I just worked out a great workaround for the Volume issue above.  Instead of saying "OK Google, volume 15 on the Denon" and have it miscalculate the correct volume if I also changed it on the remote, i simply made a Google Assistant routine that does the following;

Ok Google, Volume 0 on the Denon, and then a second command that immediately does a Volume 15 on the Denon.  The trick was to reset the volume to 0 first.  Now I can set specific volumes via commands such as "morning volume" and have it change to that specific volume, or Movie volume and have it change to a higher volume etc.  

So, all the issues I had are now resolved.  I love this receiver. 

@gleff whats the address of the Amp in a web browser? Just it's IP?

BTW I'm enjoying mine. I upgraded from an Onkyo TX-NR656. The audyssey 32xt does a great job in my room. I'm still not sold on the dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume. The volume one just makes it 'a good volume' regardless of the volume set/number on the AVR. Say I have it on 30 with Dynamic Volume is sounds about right, turn it off and I have to turn it up to 50 or more, so is this setting just for lazy people or is there some dynamic range compression going on? I'm using the 'lite' setting.

1 hour ago, PauliD said:

Say I have it on 30 with Dynamic Volume is sounds about right, turn it off and I have to turn it up to 50 or more, so is this setting just for lazy people or is there some dynamic range compression going on? I'm using the 'lite' setting.

I wouldn't say lazy, maybe convenience.

The Dynamic Volume and EQ settings are augmenting the sound- the higher the setting the higher the effect. It is a useful tool if you still want bass without sacrificing clarity at lower volume.

The Dynamic Volume seems to boost low volume and 'clip' high volume.

I find the best with both off but I have a dedicated room. If you are using these settings make sure you have them off when doing doing calibrations or changes to speaker setups, room changes etc.

6 hours ago, PauliD said:

@gleff whats the address of the Amp in a web browser? Just it's IP?

Hi Paul,

You just type the IP address into your browser.  To get the IP address, just go into the Setup menu, then down to Network, then click Information.  The IP address should be listed above the MAC addresses.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...