Sign in to follow this  
April Snow

My First Record Fair !!!!!!

Oh so today I went to my very first Record Fair !!!! (West End, Brisbane)

Wow was so good, better than I expected in fact.

Lots of lovely people and of course lovely records too - came home with a small haul (shall show them off through the week under the "Currently Spinning" thread).

I met up with @Pegasus at the fair so that was awesome too. 

I was worried after I read a thread either on here or SHF forum about "record fair etiquette" and they said using a deodorant always a good idea, but I can happily report everyone was clean and no need for a nose peg at all !! hahahahhahaha

I also saw a familiar face from Beatniks Records on the Gold Coast and that made me feel at home too.

What a great community.

shall attach a couple of photos - it was modestly busy - I got there around 10.30am - and I hope I have not taken a photo of anyone here - as I would hate encroach on privacy.

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

Hey April - nice one.   👍

The guy in your first photo, far left with the grey/white shock of hair, is Matt the Vinyl Junkie.

He's always got 40+ crates of US imports he brings in himself, and is a fantastic seller for anyone new to the hobby to start filling in the big records you need in your collection. 

Hope you stopped by....

I go to that same record fair often 

I have a list of LPs to get next year 

A member @EV Cali has a stand and we have a catch up when I visit 

Edited by Full Range

14 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Hey April - nice one.   👍

The guy in your first photo, far left with the grey/white shock of hair, is Matt the Vinyl Junkie.

He's always got 40+ crates of US imports he brings in himself, and is a fantastic seller for anyone new to the hobby to start filling in the big records you need in your collection. 

Hope you stopped by....

I did indeed, but I was fairly restrained today as I was just getting a feel for things and to see what pricing was like etc, as I normally buy off Discogs - I did pick a few up though that was on my wish list on Discogs so great to have picked those up.

Discogs likes to remind me everyday of my wish list - is it bad when it says "Hey April, you currently have 96 items on your wishlist" ????????? 

Yoiks !!

I did buy three LPs from the table opposite Vinyl Junkie  though as he had the details and grading written on the Plastic sleeves and that was very helpful to see the information - really appreciated that attention to detail that showed.

39 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Discogs likes to remind me everyday of my wish list - is it bad when it says "Hey April, you currently have 96 items on your wishlist" ????????? 

Yoiks !!

I did buy three LPs from the table opposite Vinyl Junkie  though as he had the details and grading written on the Plastic sleeves and that was very helpful to see the information - really appreciated that attention to detail that showed.

96 - is THAT all ??  ;) 

The great advantage of buying at a Fair is quality control.

You can slide the record out of the sleeve yourself, put it under the harsh fluro lights (or better yet, daylight), and try and get a better gauge for the exact condition first before plonking down your hard-earned.

All this just over at West End?? Still have some basic filling in the collection to do. wish I’d known! Only an annual event?

35 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

All this just over at West End?? Still have some basic filling in the collection to do. wish I’d known! Only an annual event?

2nd Saturday of every month. 

40 minutes ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

The West end Fair is in the Rumpus room Bar,in Boundary st and is  on the second Saturday of every month and has now been running for seven years.

DJ Nick providing excellent music and a nice friendly atmosphere.

Plus .as mentioned by @candyflip, you are more than welcome to slide the records out and check the condition.

I always manage to find something for my collection, a few English Folk LP's from Tam on this occasion, plus sell a few thing to cover my purchases.

Edited by EV Cali

Yeah the whole visual grading can be hit and miss. I am sure we have all had a scratch/scuffed record that plays fantastic and a clean one that doesn't. I am pretty good at visually spotting a warped record but I feel like a knob going through the whole performance.

They had turntables there at one stage with headphones but you could feel they were tracking ridiculously heavy. Wouldn't drop the needle on any records I were interested in.

While the convenience of being local and being able to get the record straight away 90% of the time you will get a better deal on discogs and better quality (generally). Just find a seller that has a few titles you want to mitigate the shipping. I am quite picky with my vinyl and found I would go to these fairs only to end up with a late pressing of a title I really wanted. After that I was onto Discogs to buy an original or competent reissue.

The largest benefit of the record fairs is flipping through the abundant crates and picking out titles you had forgotten about or never considered.

Thanks for the info guys. Probably worth going once at least for the socials. Am a sucker for Discogs though ;) 

15 hours ago, April Snow said:

I hope I have not taken a photo of anyone here - as I would hate encroach on privacy

It's a public place. Privacy doesn't matter as a general rule. (Not intending to derail the thread).

An annual garage sale to look out for is the Brisbane Jazz Club's annual garage sale in early December.  I picked up some Mingus, Coltrane and Mahalia Jackson, and Linda Rondstadt's first after the Stone Poneys.

1 hour ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

It's a public place. Privacy doesn't matter as a general rule. (Not intending to derail the thread).

An annual garage sale to look out for is the Brisbane Jazz Club's annual garage sale in early December.  I picked up some Mingus, Coltrane and Mahalia Jackson, and Linda Rondstadt's first after the Stone Poneys.

Pushed out to 8th Jan 2020 this time , TDD.

I think the relocation took a bit out of them and they just ran out of time.

I went to the December Jazz Singers' Jazz Club event and read about a garage sale three days later, on the Sunday morning, and so turned up for it, on the banks of the mighty Brisbane River under the trees. Might be a monthly thing, or else not all stock moved so the cry has gone up, "hold another one in January", even though I played my part.

11 hours ago, kelossus said:

Yeah the whole visual grading can be hit and miss. I am sure we have all had a scratch/scuffed record that plays fantastic and a clean one that doesn't. I am pretty good at visually spotting a warped record but I feel like a knob going through the whole performance.

They had turntables there at one stage with headphones but you could feel they were tracking ridiculously heavy. Wouldn't drop the needle on any records I were interested in.

While the convenience of being local and being able to get the record straight away 90% of the time you will get a better deal on discogs and better quality (generally). Just find a seller that has a few titles you want to mitigate the shipping. I am quite picky with my vinyl and found I would go to these fairs only to end up with a late pressing of a title I really wanted. After that I was onto Discogs to buy an original or competent reissue.

The largest benefit of the record fairs is flipping through the abundant crates and picking out titles you had forgotten about or never considered.

Ok so results of my first fair -

Very mixed now they have been put through spin clean, re-sleeved over night and played today.

Three albums were graded by the seller (stickers on the plastic sleeve) as Ex up to Near Mint and at an inexperienced glance by me, they did look as he said.

Two of the three played very crackly (one of them quite crappy to be honest)  & I am very disappointed in those two and wasted $25

The other two were graded as Excellent and I am very happy with those.

I brought a 12 inch single from another stall, and it is a fabulous - $10 well spent.

So I think I will continue to buy from Discogs because I think the sellers on there overall feel more of a responsibilty to keep their grading accurate as they want good feedback, and I will support my local Gold Coast store as they also have a turntable and welcome for you to listen in advance - and they stand by their stock. 

I think Discogs and Bricks and Mortar will be my preference.

BUT I will go again as it is a wonderful experience to see others with the same hobby and I think you can pick up a gem, but seems you can also pick up a stone if you are not experienced (and that is me).

But that is my thoughts today and I agree with @kelossus on this one.

Edited by April Snow

Nice write up! Don't give up on the crackly ones until they've been through a US clean. It can make a remarkable difference in some cases. Also, there are many who can give stories of not so successful purchases from discogs. To some degree it's all pot luck. 

Guest Muon N'

Is that Tommy Chong in the orange T :lol:

Edit: too much beard for Tommy.

Edited by Muon N'

Yes, thanks for your review and helpful comments. @April Snow

I agree with other’s comments regarding visual grading.

I test play, at least, the first 30 seconds of all the records I sell and then, if there are any marks, I play that area to see if it affects play back, sound. Nearly all the records I sell I clean with my ultrasonic cleaner, use a new inner and a new outer sleeve for.

Not all sellers do this, and some sellers are not as conscientious as others.  This does take time, but I believe a seller has an obligation to check their stock condition. Not just use the mint condition price from Discogs and hope for the best.

I can see the appeal of a sticker with a grading on it, but if the seller has only visually checked the record it is quite dishonest to make any claims.

I do buy the occasional; record off of Discogs. If there is something you are particularly after, it is an easy way to find it. But I too have heard some very bad stories regarding misleading condition descriptions and struggles to get a refund. At least at Record Fair you can visually check the condition before purchase. The postage is a big turn off for me, as it can sometimes be twice the cost of the record. Plus, most of the sellers at Record Fairs also sell on Discogs and vice versa, so a lot of the sellers are the same people.

As for having Turntables set up for listening booths, unless the buyer was someone I knew well and trusted to handle a record correctly, I would be very reluctant to let them start dropping the needle on some of my records and less keen to purchase the records that a some Crossley owners had been let loose on a few times.

You will soon get to know the good sellers from the bad. A number of people who regularly buy from me have told me there are sellers they never buy from and others they know they are safe with and always go to.

Glad you will be coming back and if you are ever unhappy with a purchase from myself, I think I was your $10, 12’’ single purchase, I am happy to refund the next month.

Edited by EV Cali

3 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Yes, thanks for your review and helpful comments. @April Snow

I agree with other’s comments regarding visual grading.

I test play, at least, the first 30 seconds of all the records I sell and then, if there are any marks, I play that area to see if it affects play back, sound. Nearly all the records I sell I clean with my ultrasonic cleaner, use a new inner and a new outer sleeve for.

Not all sellers do this, and some sellers are not as conscientious as others.  This does take time, but I believe a seller has an obligation to check their stock condition. Not just use the mint condition price from Discogs and hope for the best.

I can see the appeal of a sticker with a grading on it, but if the seller has only visually checked the record it is quite dishonest to make any claims.

I do buy the occasional; record off of Discogs. If there is something you are particularly after, it is an easy way to find it. But I too have heard some very bad stories regarding misleading condition descriptions and struggles to get a refund. At least at Record Fair you can visually check the condition before purchase. The postage is a big turn off for me, as it can sometimes be twice the cost of the record. Plus, most of the sellers at Record Fairs also sell on Discogs and vice versa, so a lot of the sellers are the same people.

As for having Turntables set up for listening booths, unless the buyer was someone I knew well and trusted to handle a record correctly, I would be very reluctant to let them start dropping the needle on some of my records and less keen to purchase the records that a some Crossley owners had been let loose on a few times.

You will soon get to know the good sellers from the bad. A number of people who regularly buy from me have told me there are sellers they never buy from and others they know they are safe with and always go to.

Glad you will be coming back and if you are ever unhappy with a purchase from myself, I think I was your $10, 12’’ single purchase, I am happy to refund the next month.

Thank you for the lovely comment - and my Madonna 12 inch single is lovely - VERY happy with it - so that will not be coming back. 😊

But yes, Discogs is also a bit hit and miss - but I have brought most of my LPs from there and only one has really been disappointing - was Queen Night at the Opera 1970s which is more like "Night at the Coco Pops" as it crackles, but I have brought some Revirginizer and hope it may help save it or else I will look for a new copy, I just would like to rescue it if I can, because I hate to give up on things.

I don't have a US cleaner so rely on Spin Clean at this time and the Milty Anti Static Gun .

No, I would not want a listening booth at the fair either - but I do appreciate that my local Record Shop does have a lovely turntable and happy to drop the needle on it prior purchasing - so that will be my first choice to go I think. 

I am not totally put off by the fairs though, but it was an interesting excercise, coming up next weekend to the Rockaway Records one.

🙂

🙂

Edited by April Snow

13 hours ago, t_mike said:

Nice write up! Don't give up on the crackly ones until they've been through a US clean. It can make a remarkable difference in some cases. Also, there are many who can give stories of not so successful purchases from discogs. To some degree it's all pot luck. 

I dont have a US cleaner - and to pay for it to be done at the fair is $5 a pop (not that I don't think that is worth the money, I think that is a wonderful service provided) but maybe it will be on a $10 record? I have some Vinyl Reviginizer which I have not tried on anything yet, but have considered trying that, but then maybe I should just swap these two duff LPs for something else next fair? The seller did mention that was an option if I was not happy....................so I am not accusing them of being shady, only reporting on my experience 🙂

So odd though, looking at them, they look in wonderful condition, so I can see now you cannot always tell even from visual grading.

A cheap $5 to ultrasonically clean a record is a great service irrespective of how much the record may have cost you. If anything bringing an inexpensive record back to perfect clean condition would be a bonus as opposed to spending a lot of money on a record and no amount of cleaning bringing it back to playable level.

3 hours ago, Hydrology said:

A cheap $5 to ultrasonically clean a record is a great service irrespective of how much the record may have cost you. If anything bringing an inexpensive record back to perfect clean condition would be a bonus as opposed to spending a lot of money on a record and no amount of cleaning bringing it back to playable level.

Very true - I think I will take mine to see if it helps - it could be a very interesting exercise I think. 

🙂

How about this people - organise your own record fairs so Joe Punter can buy and sell from each other. I live in what is a big country for Europe - France. I don't live anywhere close to a big city, the nearest is Toulouse and that is a round journey of around 250K. and they only have record fairs twice a year.

If I buy from a French seller via discogs or Ebay.fr  the post costs €6.50 per LP. buy a few LPs from different sellers and I've kissed off between €20-30. I've made some good buys from discogs but also a bad deal from an outright liar and I was still out of pocket for postal costs. I got banned from Vinyl Engine because I dared to tell the truth that a lot of UK pro sellers make more money on rip-off postal costs than from the LPs they are selling - I'm pretty sure that the mod on V/E is a pro seller, hence banned for life😭.

I have around 1000 LPs mostly bought really cheaply from the end of the 80s into the 90s' at car boot sales - that Klondyke ended long ago. A few years ago I bought unplayed boxed sets of classical quite by chance at a local garden plant fair, it can happen. At the UK (Brighton) car boots you had to arrive very early, be really on the ball to get ahead of the pro buyers and be prepared to get physical if nec.

So it got me thinking - how about hiring an under cover area at a local pre-school site on a Saturday or Sunday which could supply trestle tables and has toilet facilities, lots of free parking and easy access from a Route National and train (right next door). Go to radio stations in Toulouse/Rodez and hassle for free publicity. How to get DJs onside? Well I had a good friend who was an excellent DJ, he taught FatBoy Slim how to be a DJ. DJs get loads and loads of freebies, so I intend to invite the radio DJs to unload their LPs and CDs at a record/Cd/DVD fair. My email address would be a contact point.

Think about it - a group of friends who have vinyl they want to buy and vinyl they want to sell. One car or van loaded up keeps costs down. It's best to have two people on a stall - thieves exist and use distraction techniques. Each table/stall has to supply it's own LED lamp (Max. 10W) with extended cables plugged into distribution blocks. From years of experience car booting, early morning daylight is rarely that good, LED light is the best. I,learnt how to handle an LP to expose any flaws, it's easy and means you can never get ripped off or have to pay postage costs which are never cheap anymore. You can also advertise audio equipment for sale and arrange demos. I reckon around €15 per table. The first gig will probably be a small affair but word of mouth and social media should generate lots of interest. I intend to keep the pros away, just ordinary punters. The LED lights are essential so that you don't get home and find you've bought vinyl turkeys. The outlay between a group of friends is really cheap. 

If it takes off as I think it will you will soon find out how often to hold these fairs. It's also a good idea to think about refreshments, there are always lots of different small caterers who will pay to set up, further reducing costs. Most people who are into music tend to be a friendly bunch so a good way to make new friends as well. Most Aussies live in or near big cities so check out hiring church halls on the outskirts, they will be cheaper and should have plenty of parking facilities. To recap - cheap for sellers, no postage costs, risk free buying and selling.

11 hours ago, Southerly said:

How about this people - organise your own record fairs so Joe Punter can buy and sell from each other.

Good luck to you. I hope it goes well for you in your area.

This idea has been happening here in Melbourne virtually every weekend for more than a decade, and almost every month for the 20 years before that. We have too MANY record fairs - the market is completely saturated.

20 hours ago, Southerly said:

How about this people - organise your own record fairs so Joe Punter can buy and sell from each other. I live in what is a big country for Europe - France. I don't live anywhere close to a big city, the nearest is Toulouse and that is a round journey of around 250K. and they only have record fairs twice a year.

If I buy from a French seller via discogs or Ebay.fr  the post costs €6.50 per LP. buy a few LPs from different sellers and I've kissed off between €20-30. I've made some good buys from discogs but also a bad deal from an outright liar and I was still out of pocket for postal costs. I got banned from Vinyl Engine because I dared to tell the truth that a lot of UK pro sellers make more money on rip-off postal costs than from the LPs they are selling - I'm pretty sure that the mod on V/E is a pro seller, hence banned for life😭.

I have around 1000 LPs mostly bought really cheaply from the end of the 80s into the 90s' at car boot sales - that Klondyke ended long ago. A few years ago I bought unplayed boxed sets of classical quite by chance at a local garden plant fair, it can happen. At the UK (Brighton) car boots you had to arrive very early, be really on the ball to get ahead of the pro buyers and be prepared to get physical if nec.

So it got me thinking - how about hiring an under cover area at a local pre-school site on a Saturday or Sunday which could supply trestle tables and has toilet facilities, lots of free parking and easy access from a Route National and train (right next door). Go to radio stations in Toulouse/Rodez and hassle for free publicity. How to get DJs onside? Well I had a good friend who was an excellent DJ, he taught FatBoy Slim how to be a DJ. DJs get loads and loads of freebies, so I intend to invite the radio DJs to unload their LPs and CDs at a record/Cd/DVD fair. My email address would be a contact point.

Think about it - a group of friends who have vinyl they want to buy and vinyl they want to sell. One car or van loaded up keeps costs down. It's best to have two people on a stall - thieves exist and use distraction techniques. Each table/stall has to supply it's own LED lamp (Max. 10W) with extended cables plugged into distribution blocks. From years of experience car booting, early morning daylight is rarely that good, LED light is the best. I,learnt how to handle an LP to expose any flaws, it's easy and means you can never get ripped off or have to pay postage costs which are never cheap anymore. You can also advertise audio equipment for sale and arrange demos. I reckon around €15 per table. The first gig will probably be a small affair but word of mouth and social media should generate lots of interest. I intend to keep the pros away, just ordinary punters. The LED lights are essential so that you don't get home and find you've bought vinyl turkeys. The outlay between a group of friends is really cheap. 

If it takes off as I think it will you will soon find out how often to hold these fairs. It's also a good idea to think about refreshments, there are always lots of different small caterers who will pay to set up, further reducing costs. Most people who are into music tend to be a friendly bunch so a good way to make new friends as well. Most Aussies live in or near big cities so check out hiring church halls on the outskirts, they will be cheaper and should have plenty of parking facilities. To recap - cheap for sellers, no postage costs, risk free buying and selling.

Wow, 20 euros for delivery on the UE and I thought the delivery to Sydney was expensive.

IMHO Vinyl shopping will be always hit and miss. Most of the local shops I go have a turntable so I can listen the records that I’m interested on but these shops are slowly closing down :(

Discogs, EBay sellers grading is not necessarily accurate. I have bought some NM just found that they were VG at the most but being fair I got a partial from most of the sellers.

42 minutes ago, hlov said:

Wow, 20 euros for delivery on the UE and I thought the delivery to Sydney was expensive.

IMHO Vinyl shopping will be always hit and miss. Most of the local shops I go have a turntable so I can listen the records that I’m interested on but these shops are slowly closing down :(

Discogs, EBay sellers grading is not necessarily accurate. I have bought some NM just found that they were VG at the most but being fair I got a partial from most of the sellers.

I have found delivery from UK so much cheaper that US - I prefer to buy from there myself as they also seem to pack for shipping better too. 

I have brought some LPs from Discogs and 90% has been "as described" (I only buy albums they grade as NM or Mint), I feel the sellers on there are more honest with their grading (same as Ebay) due to the feedback & Paypal system and if you feel they are not quite up to the grading something can be worked out.

Lucky for me a local store will happily let you play before purchasing too

The fairs have been more hit and miss for me (but I have only been to two so far) - I have found some LPs turned out to be "diamonds" and others that are "stones" - but I am sure I will get better at looking at records as experience grows too.

I think I prefer Discogs and the local store out of them all so far though as I have had a higher success rate with those.